Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dave's Divorce Derail

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dave's Divorce Derail

    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

    So does that you condemn his support of gay marriage? You already admitted condemning others in this thread for promoting adultery. Without a lick of evidence by the way. How do you know their church promotes adultery? Mine for example says that Christians should not divorce except in cases of sexual infidelity or physical abuse. Are they promoting adultery?
    There is no divorce allowance in the New Covenant. It is unforgiveness and a damnable sin. Your church seems to allow for Divorce and remarriage based on Matthew 19:9 which means they promote adultery. They all do in my area.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

    So does that you condemn his support of gay marriage? You already admitted condemning others in this thread for promoting adultery. Without a lick of evidence by the way. How do you know their church promotes adultery? Mine for example says that Christians should not divorce except in cases of sexual infidelity or physical abuse. Are they promoting adultery?
    Worse - Dave accuses others of "supporting adultery" based on his own judgmental assumptions and conclusions.
    He does NOT take Carter to task for outright SAYING things contrary to the Word of God.

    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dave L View Post

      There is no divorce allowance in the New Covenant. It is unforgiveness and a damnable sin. Your church seems to allow for Divorce and remarriage based on Matthew 19:9 which means they promote adultery. They all do in my area.
      Jesus specifically said that divorce is allowed in cases of infidelity. If you are denying that then you are calling Jesus a liar. And I would argue that abusing one's spouse is a form of infidelity.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post

        Jesus specifically said that divorce is allowed in cases of infidelity. If you are denying that then you are calling Jesus a liar. And I would argue that abusing one's spouse is a form of infidelity.
        There are a number of things where Jesus would say "You have heard it said... But I say....".

        That might be an interesting thread.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post

          Jesus specifically said that divorce is allowed in cases of infidelity. If you are denying that then you are calling Jesus a liar. And I would argue that abusing one's spouse is a form of infidelity.
          That was under OT law. The NT has no provision for it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dave L View Post

            That was under OT law. The NT has no provision for it.
            Wrong. Jesus said,

            Matthew 19:9 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

            Jesus said in the NT that you can divorce your wife for sexual immorality (infidelity)


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post

              Wrong. Jesus said,

              Matthew 19:9 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

              Jesus said in the NT that you can divorce your wife for sexual immorality (infidelity)
              That was under the OT. No provision exists in the NT.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dave L View Post

                That was under the OT. No provision exists in the NT.
                Jesus said it in the NT. It was his command and his exception. In the old testament Moses allowed for general divorce but Jesus clarified that what the rule really is, is that divorce is only allowed for infidelity. There is no subsequent command that he gave that reneges on that command. It is up to you to prove your claim.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dave L View Post

                  That was under the OT. No provision exists in the NT.
                  The OT "provision" was modified by Jesus. It stands as such.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                    Wrong. Jesus said,

                    Matthew 19:9 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

                    Jesus said in the NT that you can divorce your wife for sexual immorality (infidelity)
                    But they all commit adultery when they remarry. What you are missing is fornication was a capital offense ending in death. Since this did not happen, all ended up committing adultery.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dave L View Post

                      But they all commit adultery when they remarry. What you are missing is fornication was a capital offense ending in death. Since this did not happen, all ended up committing adultery.
                      So why don't we kill people for fornicating?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                        Jesus specifically said that divorce is allowed in cases of infidelity. If you are denying that then you are calling Jesus a liar. And I would argue that abusing one's spouse is a form of infidelity.
                        I've heard arguments that unfaithfulness goes beyond just adultery and abuse. For instance, a husband who spends all of his time and money partying while leaving his wife to fend for herself is being unfaithful. I'm not sure I agree, but it's an interesting notion.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God


                        From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                          I've heard arguments that unfaithfulness goes beyond just adultery and abuse. For instance, a husband who spends all of his time and money partying while leaving his wife to fend for herself is being unfaithful. I'm not sure I agree, but it's an interesting notion.
                          A man who does not take care of his family is worse than an infidel.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                            A man who does not take care of his family is worse than an infidel.
                            Yes, but is it necessarily grounds for divorce?
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God


                            From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                              Yes, but is it necessarily grounds for divorce?
                              I think not. I have to wonder, though, if domestic abuse had been prevalent in Jesus' day, if He would have addressed that --- I have a hard time trying to encourage a woman to stay married to a man who beats her up all the time.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Dave L, 01-12-2022, 01:18 PM
                              29 responses
                              94 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by NorrinRadd, 04-17-2021, 06:02 AM
                              29 responses
                              238 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post myth
                              by myth
                               
                              Started by KingsGambit, 09-01-2020, 03:03 PM
                              49 responses
                              995 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post KingsGambit  
                              Working...
                              X