Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Evangelical Celebrity and the Root Problem behind ‘Big Eva’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Holding that in reserve. Seer has helped boost sales for the moment.

You know you wanna look
    I saw it in the other thread already, thanks.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I saw it in the other thread already, thanks.
      And yet I don't see your order for brain and/or eye bleach.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        And yet I don't see your order for brain and/or eye bleach.
        I AM a pig.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I AM a pig.
          Dang it. I already removed a piece of tile from the floor just so I could go low enough to mark where your standards are on the doorframe. Now it looks like I'm gonna have to cut a hole through to the basement.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Evangelical Celebrity and the Root Problem behind ‘Big Eva’

OK. prior to yesterday, I never heard of "Big Eva", but today I've encountered the phrase three times?

Anybody got a line on this?

Earlier this year Joshua Harris separated from his wife and renounced the faith. The public aftermath was the inevitable cascade of articles, blogs, and posts questioning and critiquing evangelical celebrity culture.

It’s healthy to critically evaluate evangelicalism’s embrace of pastors or other “important” Christians as celebrities (I’d commend Trueman and Anyabwile’s discussions from a few years back). Sometimes, the Christian “movements” that grab our attention have less to do with Christ than with replicating worldly trends, and it’s good for us to allow the tragedy of a “big fall” to temper our hubris with humility before both God and men.

Critiquing celebrity comes most naturally in the form of criticizing “Big Eva”: the Christian celebrities and the mysterious gatekeepers standing just behind the curtain. Undoubtedly the decision to promote the latest attention-grabber, rather than someone who has exemplified decades of steady faithfulness, has too often been made. Such decisions seem to reflect greater loyalty to the Almighty Dollar than to the believers such organizations claim to serve.

But I get nervous when Christians, in critiquing celebrity, blame “the system.” “The system” is out of reach of the ordinary believer, so blaming it is an excellent way to shift responsibility away from ourselves. We get to shake our heads, frustrated at Christian celebrity culture “out there,” and then carry on, smug in our own behavior. Those men (whether here at TGC, or elsewhere) will give an account to the Lord for their decisions. But so will you. It seems to me a particularly sinister plot of Satan to persuade us that the most serious problems in Christian culture have their origins far away from us.
            Root of the Problem

The most urgent crisis we must address is the one easily overlooked: the role of worldly beliefs in our own hearts that fuel whatever man-centered Evangelical Industrial Complex exists.

Fundamentally, the negative aspects of a Christian celebrity culture are an outgrowth of our desire to have a leader we can see. We want a king like the nations have to lead us into battle. We want the Christian movie star, musician, or pro athlete to appeal to our non-Christian neighbor and persuade them that Christianity is reasonable. We want these kinds of figures because we love Christ (good!), but also, perhaps, because we’re unsure whether the regular, ordinary Christian can accomplish the mission.

We are the ones who make evangelical celebrities too big to fail. At least, until they break our hearts.

My 2 cents: Joshua Harris' book and the ideas his church taught were extremely anti-Biblical in the first place. In many ways they were cult-like. That book, "I kissed dating good-bye" was shared in our youth group and held up as the "gold-standard" for relationships. The encouragement was to marry young, marry someone your family approved of, have your pastors approval, and never date. If girls dated they would definitely wind up having premarital sex or it would be an invitation for a boy to rape her.
            Here is what really happened. I married a family friend who was horribly abusive and so I divorced but it took me years to accept that was the right thing to do, and to stop blaming myself. I think maybe 60 or 70 percent of the teenagers from that group wound up divorcing their spouse and a disproportionately high number of girls married abusive men. Women were taught that men were superior and that they were completely subordinate to men. The leaders of the movement taught that Jesus was subordinate (not co-equal) with the Father, and for that reason women were subordinate to men. In these churches, women were forbidden to take communion from the pastor, but only from the husband, and if anything happened to the husband she was to go back under the suboordination of her father (or brother if a father was deceased) It was a recipe for disaster and I think Joshua Harris actually left the Patriarchal reformed movement before he renounced Christianity all together. I followed the story a bit and I think he carried a lot of personal guilt for the damage that the movement caused. Being unable to forgive yourself is often a cause of lost faith. I don't know that it's his story, but the more I listen and read about those who leave, inability to forgive themselves is a common characteristic.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Luke 16:15 comes to mind.

Comment

I'm not at all familiar with William Gallagher or the Gallagher Financial Group, buy maybe some of you in or around Texas might be familiar with him. Caught in a ponzi scheme. Yhis from KTVT channel 11, Dallas:

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/11/01/...-ponzi-scheme/
                When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                  I'm not at all familiar with William Gallagher or the Gallagher Financial Group, buy maybe some of you in or around Texas might be familiar with him. Caught in a ponzi scheme. Yhis from KTVT channel 11, Dallas:

Never heard of him --- Dallas is Yankee territory.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Never heard of him --- Dallas is Yankee territory.
                    Two of 'em move in?

Comment

Who here actually is even a fan of "Christian " celebrities? Especially those that might claim to Jesus that they did good stuff and that's why they deserve to be in Heaven. Don't know who would be foolish enough to do that, but some will be.
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        Who here actually is even a fan of "Christian " celebrities? Especially those that might claim to Jesus that they did good stuff and that's why they deserve to be in Heaven. Don't know who would be foolish enough to do that, but some will be.
                        In a very mild sense, I'm a "fan" of Patty Heaton, Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, and a few others.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Who?
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            Who?
                            Patty Heaton: co-starred in Everyone Loves Raymond

Denzel Washington: (where to start) co-starred in St. Elsewhere; Glory, Mo' Better Blues, Malcolm X, The Pelican Brief, Philadelphia, Crimson Tide, The Preacher's Wife, The Hurricane, Remember the Titans, etc, etc (those were just from the 1990s)

Chris Pratt: co-starred in Parks and Recreations; both Guardians of the Galaxy, Jurassic World, Avengers: Infinity War as well as Endgame

Pratt actually takes a good deal of heat for being vocally Christian

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

As I said in another thread and after reading the article, I would give the man the death penalty for the damage he caused.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

As I said in another thread and after reading the article, I would give the man the death penalty for the damage he caused.
                                3 life sentences + 30 years is a good judgment. He can live with what he did and die in prison. It's a much better sentence than most con artists get. Most get something like 10 years at best and get out and do it all over again.

Of course as old as this guy is, he probably won't even last 10 years.
                                Last edited by Sparko; 11-03-2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X