Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Evangelical Celebrity and the Root Problem behind ‘Big Eva’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Graham Kerr, a television host known as The Galloping Gourmet. He was a chef with a terribly vulgar mouth that needed to be censored. He was also a heavy drinker. Around 1975 his wife became a Christian. Shortly afterwards he did also. He quit the program, and even insisted that reruns not be aired because of the awful language he used. As far as I know, he is still alive and living for the Lord.
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      I remember Graham Kerr, a television host known as The Galloping Gourmet. He was a chef with a terribly vulgar mouth that needed to be censored. He was also a heavy drinker. Around 1975 his wife became a Christian. Shortly afterwards he did also. He quit the program, and even insisted that reruns not be aired because of the awful language he used. As far as I know, he is still alive and living for the Lord.
      I remember the Galloping Gourmet, but I don't recall any bad language. I do remember the frequent (any time he could work it in) sips or gulps of various "spirits". Maybe I only saw the "cleaned up" versions?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

3 life sentences + 30 years is a good judgment. He can live with what he did and die in prison. It's a much better sentence than most con artists get. Most get something like 10 years at best and get out and do it all over again.

Of course as old as this guy is, he probably won't even last 10 years.
        Yup. Relatively short sentence and FWIU, conmen are like royalty in prison society. They're usually very intelligent and everyone wants their help.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Patty Heaton: co-starred in Everyone Loves Raymond

Denzel Washington: (where to start) co-starred in St. Elsewhere; Glory, Mo' Better Blues, Malcolm X, The Pelican Brief, Philadelphia, Crimson Tide, The Preacher's Wife, The Hurricane, Remember the Titans, etc, etc (those were just from the 1990s)

Chris Pratt: co-starred in Parks and Recreations; both Guardians of the Galaxy, Jurassic World, Avengers: Infinity War as well as Endgame

Pratt actually takes a good deal of heat for being vocally Christian
          Movie actors? I was referring to scam prosperity teachers and others like that. or the folk that make sappy Christian music that should never be used in a worship service.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Movie actors? I was referring to scam prosperity teachers and others like that. or the folk that make sappy Christian music that should never be used in a worship service.
            Ah, ok. I was looking at this thread in conjunction with the one about Kanye, and my mind went in that direction.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I remember the Galloping Gourmet, but I don't recall any bad language. I do remember the frequent (any time he could work it in) sips or gulps of various "spirits". Maybe I only saw the "cleaned up" versions?
              We watched Graham Kerr all the time, and I don’t remember ever hearing him use foul language. We liked his show.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Patty Heaton: co-starred in Everyone Loves Raymond

Denzel Washington: (where to start) co-starred in St. Elsewhere; Glory, Mo' Better Blues, Malcolm X, The Pelican Brief, Philadelphia, Crimson Tide, The Preacher's Wife, The Hurricane, Remember the Titans, etc, etc (those were just from the 1990s)

Chris Pratt: co-starred in Parks and Recreations; both Guardians of the Galaxy, Jurassic World, Avengers: Infinity War as well as Endgame

Pratt actually takes a good deal of heat for being vocally Christian
                Chris Pratt is also going to play Mario in the new Super Mario Bros. movie.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

We watched Graham Kerr all the time, and I don’t remember ever hearing him use foul language. We liked his show.
                  As the Historical Society of Ottawa noted, "The Galloping Gourmet was an instant and huge success though some stations censored the more naughty bits."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As the Historical Society of Ottawa noted, "The Galloping Gourmet was an instant and huge success though some stations censored the more naughty bits."
                    I expect that when it aired, early to mid-70’s (?), everything was censored. Not just that program. Unlike now, where anything goes, even during daytime.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I expect that when it aired, early to mid-70’s (?), everything was censored. Not just that program. Unlike now, where anything goes, even during daytime.
                      Most shows likely didn't require a censor back then.

Comment

Most shows likely didn't require a censor back then.
                        Well, The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup sure didn't!

Comment

At the same time, I don't think it necessary for married couples to sleep in separate beds or where they censored out Jack Paar's joke for mentioning "W.C." (the abbreviation for water closet, now a euphemism for toilet or bathroom with a flush toilet)

Comment

At the same time, I don't think it necessary for married couples to sleep in separate beds ...
                            Wait, WHAT? You mean I'm doing it wrong?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

facepalm3.gif

Comment

Do you also ride a donkey and a colt?
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X