Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hijabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hijabs

I know a woman who converted from agnosticism to Eastern Orthodoxy fairly recently. She lives in an area without a heavy Orthodox presence. She read 1 Corinthians 11 and became convicted that she should wear a head covering at all times in public. Not knowing how else to obtain a suitable head covering, she bought a hijab.

Her priest told her that she was not to wear a hjiab to avoid giving an incorrect impression. (I believe she ended up going on Youtube and watching a video on how to make a head covering.) Was this the right call for her not to wear one?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Yes, since it is a uniquely Muslim dress.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Aren't simple scarves considered sufficient head coverings? I'm not talking about among fundamentalist Muslims but among Christians.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I know a woman who converted from agnosticism to Eastern Orthodoxy fairly recently. She lives in an area without a heavy Orthodox presence. She read 1 Corinthians 11 and became convicted that she should wear a head covering at all times in public. Not knowing how else to obtain a suitable head covering, she bought a hijab.

Her priest told her that she was not to wear a hjiab to avoid giving an incorrect impression. (I believe she ended up going on Youtube and watching a video on how to make a head covering.) Was this the right call for her not to wear one?
        There is no consensus regarding 1 Cor. 11 -- what kind of head-covering garment it refers to, or even whether it refers to a garment at all, or is talking about hairstyles. Since we can't know that it did NOT refer to something hijab-like, we can't know whether it was the right call.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Well
          1. The verse says to the head only needs to be covered when praying or prophesying, not "in public"
          2. It also gives the condition, "but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." so if you want to get technical, that means that in today's society it is not a disgrace if a woman cuts her hair or shaves her head, so she doesn't need to cover it when praying or prophesying

I think pretty much the church has taken those instructions to be advice from Paul and not God and was based on societal/culterual norms of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Aren't simple scarves considered sufficient head coverings? I'm not talking about among fundamentalist Muslims but among Christians.
            Yep.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

There is no consensus regarding 1 Cor. 11 -- what kind of head-covering garment it refers to, or even whether it refers to a garment at all, or is talking about hairstyles. Since we can't know that it did NOT refer to something hijab-like, we can't know whether it was the right call.
              It seems like the lack of consensus has turned into an excuse to ignore the passage altogether. Dan Wallace has pointed a possible way forward by suggesting that there be a visible difference between men and women, even if not a scarf per se.

In any event, since this person felt convicted to wear a covering, they should wear one.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

It seems like the lack of consensus has turned into an excuse to ignore the passage altogether. Dan Wallace has pointed a possible way forward by suggesting that there be a visible difference between men and women, even if not a scarf per se.

In any event, since this person felt convicted to wear a covering, they should wear one.
                I agree. I think if she feels the need, she should wear a head covering, and it can be whatever she feels comfortable with: A hijab, scarf, cowboy hat, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I agree. I think if she feels the need, she should wear a head covering, and it can be whatever she feels comfortable with: A hijab, scarf, cowboy hat, whatever.
                  MAGA cap?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    MAGA cap?

That would be better than the other controversial political hat.

Comment

It seems from reading the next verse onward Paul refers to it as a custom in the churches (1st Corinthians 11:16).

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X