Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The unwell fall of Falwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The unwell fall of Falwell

How does the Liberty U. lawsuit comport with 1 Cor. 6:1-11?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

I imagine that passage only applies to Christians.
    When I Survey....

Comment

I agree this appears to be a violation of this passage, though I wonder what would happen if Christians widely followed it. Likely unscrupulous businessmen would be posing as Christians to defraud Christians, sort of like how a few people have robbed the Amish knowing they won't resist.

I have heard some Christians say that if one party isn't acting like a Christian, then it doesn't apply. That doesn't make sense. If we're talking lawsuits, then by definition, at least one party is going to be acting poorly to begin with; so in that case, there would be no need for Paul to issue that warning.

JP Holding wrote about this passage here, and argued it does not apply to modern Christians necessarily: https://www.tektonics.org/af/brotherlaw.php (I don't necessarily agree; one thing that is noted is that lawsuits would bring shame on the faith. A very public lawsuit like this, which is closely being watched throughout the nation, certainly brings shame on Christianity. Falwell's abhorrent behavior in recent years has been shameful enough.)
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        I imagine that passage only applies to Christians.
        Which of the parties is/are not in that category?
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          How does the Liberty U. lawsuit comport with 1 Cor. 6:1-11?
          This would be applicable to believers but it appears that attempts to reconcile privately resulted in Falwell stealing more money. So... courts are fine to settle this. Also I am not sure that Falwell Jr. is a Christian anyway.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Which of the parties is/are not in that category?
            That would be Falwell Jr. From what I have been reading, I really question whether or not he is a Christian. And apparently I am not the only one here that feels that way.
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

That would be Falwell Jr. From what I have been reading, I really question whether or not he is a Christian. And apparently I am not the only one here that feels that way.
              Unfortunately, the whole "sons of the fathers inheriting religious fiefdoms" doesn't seem to go so well.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I agree this appears to be a violation of this passage, though I wonder what would happen if Christians widely followed it. Likely unscrupulous businessmen would be posing as Christians to defraud Christians, sort of like how a few people have robbed the Amish knowing they won't resist.

I have heard some Christians say that if one party isn't acting like a Christian, then it doesn't apply. That doesn't make sense. If we're talking lawsuits, then by definition, at least one party is going to be acting poorly to begin with; so in that case, there would be no need for Paul to issue that warning.

JP Holding wrote about this passage here, and argued it does not apply to modern Christians necessarily: https://www.tektonics.org/af/brotherlaw.php (I don't necessarily agree; one thing that is noted is that lawsuits would bring shame on the faith. A very public lawsuit like this, which is closely being watched throughout the nation, certainly brings shame on Christianity. Falwell's abhorrent behavior in recent years has been shameful enough.)
                When Ken Ham's power grab at AnswersinGenesis (AiG) caused the organization to split up (with the Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, and South African branches rebranding themselves Creation Ministries International -- CMI), they tried arbitration based on the idea expressed in I Corinthians 6. Can't remember for sure but I think it ended up in court anyways.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Unfortunately, the whole "sons of the fathers inheriting religious fiefdoms" doesn't seem to go so well.
                  I'm trying to think of an instance where it DID go well, but coming up blank.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I'm trying to think of an instance where it DID go well, but coming up blank.
                    Perhaps the closest would be Charles (who was also a president of the SBC at one point) and Andy Stanley of the First Baptist Church of Atlanta. While there is something about them that seems kind off off-putting, I've never heard of any sort of controversy or scandal surrounding either.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Perhaps the closest would be Charles (who was also a president of the SBC at one point) and Andy Stanley of the First Baptist Church of Atlanta. While there is something about them that seems kind off off-putting, I've never heard of any sort of controversy or scandal surrounding either.
                      Huh. I had never heard of Andy. When Charles was divorced by his wife, the two had a falling out, but it seems they eventually patched things up.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Huh. I had never heard of Andy. When Charles was divorced by his wife, the two had a falling out, but it seems they eventually patched things up.
                        By way of local reputation Andy delivers excellent sermons and the like. And at least no whiff of potential scandal -- so far. But I wonder if after Charles is gone if we'll see that reflected in the sermons afterwards, although I've heard they have distinct styles...

Comment

When everything quietly goes well we never hear about it.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Actually, there was quite a bit of war between Charles and Andy.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              When everything quietly goes well we never hear about it.
                              While true, I think things are entirely different when it reaches "stardom". I actually do know of a couple (probably more) of a son 'inheriting' his father's ministry, but in local settings - not the world stage.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X