Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Returning the Stimulus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning the Stimulus

I have been work at home fully employed during the entirety of the Covid plague. As such, I did not require Stimulus 1, 2 or will need the potential #3.

I saw an article (non-Christian website) that says people in my situation have a moral obligation to donate or give the money to people in need.

While donating or giving the money is certainly allowed, I don't feel I have an obligation. At the most, I think I would return it to the government via their fund for the reduction of the public debt.

What do you think? As a Christian, am I obligated to donate or give stimulus money?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

The idea of the stimulus was to stimulate the economy by circulating the money. That means spending it. So feel free. Or give it to a charity. Maybe you know of a church you could give it to.
    When I Survey....

Comment

It's like when Christians tell me they don't claim the legitimate tax deductions for giving to charity because they don't feel "that's right" --- it's LEGAL, and you can spend the saved money FAR more efficiently than the US Government. In fact, it allows you to contribute even MORE to charity if you so desire.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't think you are obligated to do anything "as a Christian" with your check. Just treat it like a bonus or extra income. If you want to help others with it, that is a good thing to do, just like it would be with any extra money you have. But I think the whole idea of Christian giving is that it is voluntary not a burden or an obligation. Do you have family or friends who might need some extra help? Charity doesn't mean just giving to a charity or the church, but helping others as you can. Also, you could argue that using the money for yourself is also good. Perhaps you could pay off a credit card or other debt and then you will have that much more free money down to road to help people later.

But that is just my personal opinion. Just spending it helps others too you know. When you buy something you are helping the business, and their employees.

Comment

Yeah, what Sparko said.

There IS an option to return money to the government (in spite of what a former poster used to declare) but I trust ME a whole lot better than I trust THEM in spending any money that comes to me.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yeah, what Sparko said.

There IS an option to return money to the government (in spite of what a former poster used to declare) but I trust ME a whole lot better than I trust THEM in spending any money that comes to me.
            The government rarely if ever does anything efficiently. Just too many layers of bloated bureaucracy everything has to filter through.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              The government rarely if ever does anything efficiently. Just too many layers of bloated bureaucracy everything has to filter through.
              About they only thing they've done efficiently, in my experience, was the 'block grants' that they provided from time to time for local entities to assist local people with local problems.

I see this "stimulus" the same way - block grants for me to spend more wisely than they would.

Comment

It's like when Christians tell me they don't claim the legitimate tax deductions for giving to charity because they don't feel "that's right" --- it's LEGAL, and you can spend the saved money FAR more efficiently than the US Government. In fact, it allows you to contribute even MORE to charity if you so desire.
                I get you. I sometimes don't based do not let the left hand know what the right hand is doing principal. Maybe misapplied but I don't see the harm.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

As I was thinking...this is just something between me, the wife, and God to decide. Thanks for confirming I wasn't off base.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                    As I was thinking...this is just something between me, the wife, and God to decide. Thanks for confirming I wasn't off base.
                    If you can't decide please feel free to send the money to me. I need more bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                      Interesting discussion, though. And the "don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing" thing is a whole 'nother interesting topic, because we're also told to let people see our good works so they may glorify our Father in Heaven.

Depends on the circumstances, but I always stress that it's all about the motivation. Is the motivation to boast about how good we are? Or to proclaim how good God is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If you can't decide please feel free to send the money to me. I need more bacon.
                        Doesn't the government already spend enough money on pork?
                        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

And they even paid farmers not to raise pork!

Comment

And they even paid farmers not to raise pork!

Honorable Secretary of Agriculture Washington D.C.

Dear Sir:

My friend, Ed, over at Wells Iowa, received a check for $1000 from the government for not raising hogs. So, I was wondering if i could get into the "not raising hog" business next year.

What I want to know is, in your opinion, what is the best kind of farm not to raise hogs on and what is the best breed of hogs not to raise? I want to be sure that I approach this endeavor in keeping with all governmental policies. I would prefer not to raise Raserbacks but if that is not a good breed not to raise then I will just as gladly not raise Yorkshires or Durocs.

As I see it, the hardest part of this program will be in keeping an accurate inventory of how many hogs I have not raised. My friend,Ed, is very joyful about the future of this business. He has been raising hogs for 20 years and the best he ever made on them was $422 in 1968, until this year when he got your check for $1000 for not raising hogs.

If I get $1000 for not raising 50 hogs will I get $2000 for not raising 100 hogs? I plan to operate on a small scale at first, holding myself down to about 400 hogs not raised which will mean about $80,000 the first year. Then I can afford an airplane. Now, another thing. These hogs I will not raise will not eat 1,000,000 bushels of corn.

I understand that you also pay farmers for not raising corn and wheat. Will I qualify for payments for not raising wheat and corn not to feed the 4,000 hogs I am not going to raise? Also I am considering the "not milking cows" business so please send me any information you have on that, too.

In view of these circumstances you understand that I will be totally unemployed and plan to file for unemployment and food stamps. You can be sure you will have my vote in the coming election.

Patriotically Yours,

Wilbur

P.S. Would you please notify me when you plan to distribute more free cheese?

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X