Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Censorship By the Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censorship By the Media

Two Sundays in a row now, Facebook and YouTube blocked our on line evening services (we have morning and evening services). We switched to Christianworldmedia and carried on.

The first block was said to be because it was offensive. I don't know the reason for last night yet.

I chose to post this in this fora because I wanted to compare notes with others who have experienced this and what actions if any were taken, not rant about the political aspects. I'm wondering if some of you considered it wrong or right to use legal actions, or threats of such? Etc.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

I had just mentioned in our online service this past Sunday that it would not surprise me in the least if Facebook decided to block our church service.

ETA - they blocked one video a couple months ago for copyright problems, supposedly, because I used an embedded video of a gospel quartet -- a couple weeks later, the same morning service was back online.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 01-18-2021, 04:02 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yep. It was in the news that FB and YouTube said they would block anything that was too politically charged if I remember right.... so.

The first AM sermon was about salvation in Jesus being essential...are we living that truth with our children etc. The second AM, one, yesterday, one was about God versus the world system (ie the morals of the world). Thi reason is probably because it was offensive ... we'll see.

Is there some kind of hot line or dedicated communications with the FB overlords to discuss this stuff?
      Last edited by DesertBerean; 01-18-2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I had just mentioned in our online service this past Sunday that it would not surprise me in the least if Facebook decided to block our church service.

ETA - they blocked one video a couple months ago for copyright problems, supposedly, because I used an embedded video of a gospel quartet -- a couple weeks later, the same morning service was back online.
        Ah I was going to ask why you thought they would start blocking your livestreams. I'm curious to see many others might have run into that.

Somebody advised us to make sure we have paid to use the music. We do tell them on each transmission we don't own the rights to the music, etc. But apparently that's not the reason we got blocked ... yet.

Comment

3 of my facebook friends have had their account limited in the last week. One does post a lot of wacky alt-right stuff, but the other two don't. None of them were told why, or which post triggered it. Starting to sound like a purge. They have gotten bold now that Biden is President.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post

Ah I was going to ask why you thought they would start blocking your livestreams. I'm curious to see many others might have run into that.

Somebody advised us to make sure we have paid to use the music. We do tell them on each transmission we don't own the rights to the music, etc. But apparently that's not the reason we got blocked ... yet.
            Yes, we pay that licensing fee - perhaps I need to make that more prominent -- it's usually on the title pate of the hymn (we show those online) but it's itty bitty.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              3 of my facebook friends have had their account limited in the last week. One does post a lot of wacky alt-right stuff, but the other two don't. None of them were told why, or which post triggered it. Starting to sound like a purge. They have gotten bold now that Biden is President.
              My senior pastor told us the reason for the first incident. Not sure how that was dicovered, but pastor has excellent resources, so...

Comment

My church used to record our choir's Christmas and Easter cantatas which used copyrighted sound tracks. Until we got a new choir director who put a stop to it. He said he knew of a church in New England that was sued thousands of dollars by a copyright holder because they did the same thing. Granted, the Scriptures say something about obeying every ordinance of men, including copyright laws. But it also says something about taking your brother to court.
                When I Survey....

Comment

They've become more strict about copyright infringement. We always buy our cantata materials and songs. Place the blurb about not having rights etc

But that wasn't our issues here.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X