Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religion and Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Well according to this: Methodological naturalism is the label for the required assumption of philosophical naturalism when working with the scientific method.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Methodological_naturalism
    This is an extremely poor, biased definition of "methodological naturalism"! Note that this is not from "Wikipedia"; it is "rational wiki", which seems to be an anti-religious advocacy group. They mention nothing of the history of the term, including that it was coined by an evangelical Christian philosopher (deVries) to describe the operational methodology of science and to distinguish it from "ontological" or "philosophical" naturalism.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

Well according to this: Methodological naturalism is the label for the required assumption of philosophical naturalism when working with the scientific method.

Yes, but Ontological (Philosophical) Naturalism adds the assumption that Naturalism is the only objective source of knowledge, and that other sources of knowledge must conform to Naturalism, This is not the dominate view of Methodological Naturalism, which ONLY considers the use of Scientific Methods to apply to the falsifiable knowledge of our physical existence.

Methodological Naturalism is by far the dominant view of scientists n he USA.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-18-2014, 09:05 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Yes, but Ontological (Philosophical) Naturalism adds the assumption that Naturalism is the only objective source of knowledge, and that other sources of knowledge must conform to Naturalism, This is not the dominate view of Methodological Naturalism, which ONLY considers the use of Scientific Methods to apply to the falsifiable knowledge of our physical existence.

Methodological Naturalism is by far the dominant view of scientists n he USA.
        I suspect that if PN = MN then all meteorologists, chemists, physicists, astronomers, geneticists, zoologists, materials scientists, embryologists, research doctors, ..... would have to be called atheists.

Mathematicians might be the only group to escape seer's wildly broad broom.

Heck, the moment any person anywhere thinks "I wonder if I can find out how and why that happened" and they try to do so without invoking the supernatural, then they could be labelled "atheist". They might have to undergo some kind of purification ritual after having done something so dirty.
        Last edited by rwatts; 02-18-2014, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I am not sure why you are going here seer. God is not his creation. That is the overarching point of Genesis 1. God made this stuff and gave it capabilities. He commanded the Earth to make life after He made it. He put the stars in the sky to give times and seasons. And He made man in His image and told him to go forth and subdue the Earth. And so there is nothing inconsistent about probing the extant properties of the creation as they have been endowed by the creator independent of His explicit intervention. We distinguish that from the belief there is no God with the term Methodological Naturalism. If I want to know how creation behaves according to the rules of operation God has ordained, I must look at what it does 'on its own'. But that does not have anything to do with what I believe about the existence or interaction of God with His creation, except that if I believe in God, I must believe God is not capricious and has set in place an order to His creation. This is what Christian belief asserts and so there is nothing inconsistent about a Christian who is a scientist using Methodological Naturalism in his execution of his scientific pursuits.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            I am not sure why you are going here seer. God is not his creation. That is the overarching point of Genesis 1. God made this stuff and gave it capabilities. He commanded the Earth to make life after He made it. He put the stars in the sky to give times and seasons. And He made man in His image and told him to go forth and subdue the Earth. And so there is nothing inconsistent about probing the extant properties of the creation as they have been endowed by the creator independent of His explicit intervention. We distinguish that from the belief there is no God with the term Methodological Naturalism. If I want to know how creation behaves according to the rules of operation God has ordained, I must look at what it does 'on its own'. But that does not have anything to do with what I believe about the existence or interaction of God with His creation, except that if I believe in God, I must believe God is not capricious and has set in place an order to His creation. This is what Christian belief asserts and so there is nothing inconsistent about a Christian who is a scientist using Methodological Naturalism in his execution of his scientific pursuits.

Jim
            This is true, perhaps I have a problem more with philosophical naturalism. Or generally that everything can be explained or accounted for by natural means.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment