Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"Unbreakable" glass nearly as hard as steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unbreakable" glass nearly as hard as steel?

Japanese researchers claim they have developed such a thing. I'm curious if this could be mass produced at a reasonably low cost. Any of you more engineering-inclined types care to weigh in?

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sci_tec...AJ201510290034
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

You mean like transparent aluminum?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Dang. Scotty was here.

Comment

Yay. we can finally throw stones in glass houses.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Japanese researchers claim they have developed such a thing. I'm curious if this could be mass produced at a reasonably low cost. Any of you more engineering-inclined types care to weigh in?

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/sci_tec...AJ201510290034
          The article doesn't say anything about how "unbreakable" the glass might be. Could be it is, but there's nothing to go on here.
          The Young's modulus of the new glass, an indicator of rigidity, was twice as high than typical oxide glass and almost at the same level as steel and iron, according to the scientists.

Young's modulus measures how much pressure (stress) it takes to stretch (strain) a material. It measures how easy it is to deform an object inside its recovery zone (elastic region). When you stretch a material beyond its recovery zone, it won't bounce back. Stretch it even further, and it breaks.

Young's modulus is the slope of the stress/strain curve inside its elastic region:

Stress-Strain.gif

Young's modulus doesn't apply outside the elastic region.

The above curve is generic, and doesn't really apply to glass. Glass has a famously small elastic region and doesn't yield. Instead it fails immediately once it leaves that region. That's because glass is not actually a solid, but rather a super-cooled liquid. Add energy and it crystallizes — cracks and breaks.

Comment

Saw this the other day too. I know it's an older article, but I thought it was pretty cool:

http://phys.org/news/2009-07-materia...sts-abuzz.html
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Thanks there is no lao tzu.

It is hard to tell how this glass could be used.

Cement is good under compression --where it is well supported beneath it. So you can't just make long narrow beams only using cement and expect to hold a lot, if these are used horizontally.

Iron beams can be used horizontally or vertically in a structure. They will bend decently enough. It is this bending that helps make iron effective for building. So skyscrapers can sway in the wind without breaking apart.

I was curious now whether this new type of glass still is describable as "a super-cooled liquid." Such liquid form wouldn't be good for structural purposes but might be good at the local marine aquarium.

Comment

Not to be pedantic, but glass is already harder than steel.

It's also much more brittle than steel, that's the problem.
                "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                  Not to be pedantic, but glass is already harder than steel.

It's also much more brittle than steel, that's the problem.
                  Nephrite jade has a lower hardness than glass, but it is tougher and less brittle than glass. It is probably the toughest natural stone. It is a Calcium/Magnesium-Iron Silicate with a structure that resembles steel. I call it the Neolithic steel.

Sometimes hardness is confused with toughness and brittleness. Diamond has a hardness of 10, but it is brittle like glass.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-03-2015, 12:16 PM.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    That's because glass is not actually a solid, but rather a super-cooled liquid. Add energy and it crystallizes — cracks and breaks.
                    Glass is not a super cooled liquid. It is better described as an amorphous solid.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Glass is not a super cooled liquid. It is better described as an amorphous solid.
                      Yes, it is best described as an amorphous solid. Nephrite jade and jadeite are described as a microcrystalline (amorphous) solid. Jadeite has a similar formula as glass, and when heated turns to glass.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment