Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How bad is science knowledge in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wally View Post
    The first two points are correct, after that you demonstrated what's wrong.

Kinda like a libertarian, at first it's like yeah that makes sense, then you realize they're nuts.
    Being called "nuts" by a raving lunatic is pathetic, Wally.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      Having seen the attacks* on education myself, he's right. Every year that my brother and I were going to school, I could see the deterioration in what they taught, and how much. Then there's the fact that they purposely tried to slow down the smart kids so those behind could catch up.

*Might not be the same kind of attack Jorge is talking about, but I saw attacks on education nonetheless, and this was from inside the schools too.
      Yup ... that and more is what I was referring to.
      Of course, the kind of people that Wally represents are
      either blind to this or they are actually in favor of it.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Attacks by Centrum123 and Jorge on science and science education.
        So, besides being a "dragon" you're also a sheeple ... interesting!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
          Aren't you the guy who wants to teach students that the universe is only 6000 years old, that all fauna on the planet came from one or seven pairs of animals saved from an Earth destroying Flood by eight people on a big wooden boat only 4500 years ago, and that all languages were zapped into existence in a one-time event only 4000 years ago?

Tell us more about these attacks on education.
          One word suffices to respond to the above: C-L-U-E-L-E-S-S !

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
            The saddest example today is with AGW deniers. People who don't understand even high school level physics are getting conned by all of the BS propaganda generated by the oil and gas company lobbies.
            And people who don't understand politics are getting conned by AGW fanatics that their opposition is coming from the oil and gas company lobbies. As long as their competition has to play be the rules, why should they care? They'll just pass the costs on to their consumers. It's not like "clean energy" is threatening to take over a significant portion of the energy marketplace.

I don't deny that human activity has an effect on global warming, and that we should take reasonable steps to minimize that; I'm merely skeptical that the effect is as large as the alarmists portray. I've easily passed physics courses in high school, naval nuclear power school, and college, so I have some idea when AGW-fanatics are blowing smoke.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Human activity have effect on the environment but I do not know if it will result to global cooling or warming.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                Human activity have effect on the environment but I do not know if it will result to global cooling or warming.
                I guess that depends on what activity, eh?

The specifically worrisome activity in this particular case is the increase of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere.

If the issue was particulate pollution, then we might be talking about global cooling, but we've actually done a lot better with a lot of pollution categories. We've dropped most forms of chemical and particulate pollution 67% since 1980. (Cite)

Comment

The voting populace is barely literate in the English language let alone being scientifically literate.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                    I guess that depends on what activity, eh?

The specifically worrisome activity in this particular case is the increase of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere.

If the issue was particulate pollution, then we might be talking about global cooling, but we've actually done a lot better with a lot of pollution categories. We've dropped most forms of chemical and particulate pollution 67% since 1980. (Cite)
                    Here, yes. China and India, not so much. Coincidentally, we've shipped quite a bit of our manufacturing to . . . China.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Here, yes. China and India, not so much. Coincidentally, we've shipped quite a bit of our manufacturing to . . . China.
                      Coincidentally China and India have sent a large number of students to the Science Graduate programs vacant in American universities.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Coincidentally China and India have sent a large number of students to the Science Graduate programs vacant in American universities.
                        I don't begrudge them that. We're reaping the "benefits" of a century of liberal education.

sigpic

Comment

Chiming in that I've never taken a physics or chemistry course and I graduated from the 121st highest ranking high school in California. I know many who did not proceed past Algebra 1 and graduated.
                          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                            Being called "nuts" by a raving lunatic is pathetic, Wally.

Yup ... that and more is what I was referring to.
                            Of course, the kind of people that Wally represents are
                            either blind to this or they are actually in favor of it.

So, besides being a "dragon" you're also a sheeple ... interesting!

One word suffices to respond to the above: C-L-U-E-L-E-S-S !
                            It's that time of day,
                            After Florida sunset
                            For Jorge Fernandez
                            To go on the internet
                            To the forum where
                            He's content to spend his days
                            Saying nothing much
                            In a dozen different ways
                            If you go there too
                            Then you might just get the chance
                            To see him perform
                            The Fernandez chicken dance

See the run away
                            From the questions that you pose
                            Ask for evidence
                            And then see how fast he goes
                            He will run away
                            From his insubstantial claims
                            With a bunch of squawks
                            And a string of nasty names

He is always right
                            Never mind how wrong he seems
                            For refuting him
                            Only happens in your dreams
                            All his words are God's
                            So however it appears
                            He makes no mistakes
                            And he hasn't done for years

His technique of 'debating'
                            Is truly nauseating
                            Like mental masturbating
                            And there he goes again!

See the run away
                            From the questions that you pose
                            Watch the blustering
                            And the arrogance he shows
                            He gave substance once
                            But he can't remember what
                            Though he'll look for it
                            If you pay him quite a lot

He is always right
                            No matter how wrong he seems
                            For refuting him
                            Only happens in your dreams
                            And there's no escape
                            From his written diarrhoea
                            He posts more and more
                            With each newly passing year

See the chicken run away
                            Now just what do you suppose
                            Is the value of
                            Of the 'evidence' he knows
                            La la la la la
                            La la la la la la la
                            La la la la la
                            La la la la la la Hecanthearyouuuuuu
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment