Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Darwin's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darwin's Day

Why is there a "Darwin Day"? Ever wonder about that one?

Some would say, "Obviously because Darwin was a great scientist!"

Really?

So why isn't there a Newton Day? Or an Einstein Day? As a scientist, Darwin could neither polish nor carry the shoes of a great many scientists before and after his day.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the matter (inspired by a friend's comments):

In my humble opinion it all goes back to Dawkins' infamous remark that "Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled Atheist."

As a "scientist", Darwin and Darwin alone has attained the rank of Secular Saint. By rendering unnecessary the pillars of support for a Ultimate Designer (i.e., God), Darwin became established as THE man who eliminated God from biology.

Do not, as do most people, underestimate the significance of that. It is an achievement of vast theological proportions that exceeds by light years the by-comparison-puny works of Einstein or Newton or any other measly scientist.

Darwinism is the most accessible "scientific" theory ever proposed. The stupidest person can understand the basic story: "Life reproduces and mistakes often creep into the process. Some mistakes are 'good'. When enough 'good' mistakes accumulate you get a new species. After enough time, you get every complicated living thing ALL descended from one simple living organism at the start."

You may note that God is not needed for this process - not at all. Ergo, anyone or anything (like the Bible) claiming that there is a need for God is wrong. You can be drunk, stoned or stupid and still understand this "very logical, very scientific" conclusion. And it fulfills the intellectual need to "explain" something that was once unexplainable.

Furthermore, when you absorb this epic revelation, you feel that you have attained the highest level of intellectuality and of "advanced science". This gives you an air of superiority, far superior to the ignorant religious quacks that still have a need for God in order to explain the same things as Darwinism does.

WOW - Darwin is indeed greater than all scientists before and after combined!

That, in a brief nutshell, is why there is a Darwin Day and why so many celebrate it. Needless to say, it would be silly to expect for any of them to admit to this. They'll just keep harping the same religious mantras while feeling 'superior' to the rest of us.

Jorge

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    Why is there a "Darwin Day"? Ever wonder about that one?

Some would say, "Obviously because Darwin was a great scientist!"

Really?

So why isn't there a Newton Day? Or an Einstein Day? As a scientist, Darwin could neither polish nor carry the shoes of a great many scientists before and after his day.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the matter (inspired by a friend's comments):

In my humble opinion it all goes back to Dawkins' infamous remark that "Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled Atheist."

As a "scientist", Darwin and Darwin alone has attained the rank of Secular Saint. By rendering unnecessary the pillars of support for a Ultimate Designer (i.e., God), Darwin became established as THE man who eliminated God from biology.

Do not, as do most people, underestimate the significance of that. It is an achievement of vast theological proportions that exceeds by light years the by-comparison-puny works of Einstein or Newton or any other measly scientist.

Darwinism is the most accessible "scientific" theory ever proposed. The stupidest person can understand the basic story: "Life reproduces and mistakes often creep into the process. Some mistakes are 'good'. When enough 'good' mistakes accumulate you get a new species. After enough time, you get every complicated living thing ALL descended from one simple living organism at the start."

You may note that God is not needed for this process - not at all. Ergo, anyone or anything (like the Bible) claiming that there is a need for God is wrong. You can be drunk, stoned or stupid and still understand this "very logical, very scientific" conclusion. And it fulfills the intellectual need to "explain" something that was once unexplainable.

Furthermore, when you absorb this epic revelation, you feel that you have attained the highest level of intellectuality and of "advanced science". This gives you an air of superiority, far superior to the ignorant religious quacks that still have a need for God in order to explain the same things as Darwinism does.

WOW - Darwin is indeed greater than all scientists before and after combined!

That, in a brief nutshell, is why there is a Darwin Day and why so many celebrate it. Needless to say, it would be silly to expect for any of them to admit to this. They'll just keep harping the same religious mantras while feeling 'superior' to the rest of us.

Jorge
    Darwin = Red Flag
    Jorge = Bull.

Comment

That's good Jorge, let the jealousy and bitterness flow out.

Darwin is honored because of his great insight into the workings of the natural world. That his verified scientific findings run counter to your narrow-minded literal Genesis beliefs isn't science's problem.

Comment

What significance for the scientific quality of the modern theory of biological evolution is celebrating or not celebrating a "Darwin Day". I reiterate "scientific" significance. Celebrating (or "worshipping" as Jorge might say) Darwin has no effect on his science.

So, Big Deal!

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
          What significance for the scientific quality of the modern theory of biological evolution is celebrating or not celebrating a "Darwin Day". I reiterate "scientific" significance. Celebrating (or "worshipping" as Jorge might say) Darwin has no effect on his science.

So, Big Deal!
          That's one thing I can never understand about Creationists like Jorge here. They think if they fling enough mud at Darwin the man (i.e "Darwin tortured puppies!!") that somehow discredits the 150+ years of positive evidence for the scientific theory that bears his name. Maybe one of them can explain the reasoning some day.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
            Darwin = Red Flag
            Jorge = Bull.
            WOW ... now that's what I call a scholarly, inspired rebuttal!

Jorge

Comment

WOW ... now that's what I call a scholarly, inspired rebuttal! :faint:

Jorge
              I knew you would like it Jorge.

You are not serious in your "complaint", are you?

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                That's good Jorge, let the jealousy and bitterness flow out.

Darwin is honored because of his great insight into the workings of the natural world. That his verified scientific findings run counter to your narrow-minded literal Genesis beliefs isn't science's problem.
                "Jealousy and bitterness" ???
                You really - I mean really - need to stop sniffing glue, Mr. Beagle.

Jorge

Comment

So, Big Deal!
                  That noise you heard was the point swooshing over your head. Let me clue you in: only ignoramuses believe that science is an ideologically-free human enterprise. And when a discipline - such as Evolution - touches upon matters related to life, death, consciousness and the ethics that comes attached - as does Evolution - then the connection begins to become apparent and, yes, becomes a BIG DEAL.

But, truthfully, I'm not expecting Mr. Klaus (related to Santa, maybe?) to grasp any of this.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                    I knew you would like it Jorge.

You are not serious in your "complaint", are you?
                    Huh?

As time goes by you're become more detached from reality, rwatts -- seek help, please.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                      That's one thing I can never understand about Creationists like Jorge here. They think if they fling enough mud at Darwin the man (i.e "Darwin tortured puppies!!") that somehow discredits the 150+ years of positive evidence for the scientific theory that bears his name. Maybe one of them can explain the reasoning some day.
                      As did Mr. Klaus, you also have missed the point. But I know from experience that Darwin worshipers like yourself can't help it --- it is a mindless knee-jerk reaction to defend Darwinism at all costs while blindly ignoring the tons of scientific evidence against Materialistic Evolution. A rational discussion is i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e with such people.

Jorge

Comment

As did Mr. Klaus, you also have missed the point. But I know from experience that Darwin worshipers like yourself can't help it --- it is a mindless knee-jerk reaction to defend Darwinism at all costs while blindly ignoring the tons of scientific evidence against Materialistic Evolution. A rational discussion is i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e with such people.

Jorge
                        And this statement does not address the argument he made at all, which was that this was a formal example of the ad hominem fallacy.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

So, Big Deal!
                          The main contribution behind establishing the science of evolution was beginning the process of peer review of research, which he delayed the publication of his book a number of years to have it peer reviewed by his colleagues. This began the standard followed by peer review of research before publication. The proposal of the necessity of falsification by scientific methods was also significant part of his work. He made numerous predictions needed to be verified in future research. He has a very good record in that most of his predictions have sense been verified through falsification.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

That noise you heard was the point swooshing over your head. Let me clue you in: only ignoramuses believe that science is an ideologically-free human enterprise. And when a discipline - such as Evolution - touches upon matters related to life, death, consciousness and the ethics that comes attached - as does Evolution - then the connection begins to become apparent and, yes, becomes a BIG DEAL.
                            I'm always fascinated by the religious mindset. Religion being pure ideology, entirely fabricated for emotional reasons, the true religious believer cannot help but think that all the enterprises of the human mind must work this same way. If the facts are offensive, well, it's because those heathens discovering the facts are biased and ideological. The concept of a discipline rooted in reality is simply not accessible to the religious mind. ALL disciplines are rooted in Religious Truth - namely, mine!

Comment

But, truthfully, I'm not expecting Mr. Klaus (related to Santa, maybe?) to grasp any of this.

Jorge
                              Have you heard of the expressions "Ad hominem" and "Abusus non tollit usum"? If not, Google 'em.

You're welcome.

Sincerely,

Santa

Comment