Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A question for my theistic evolutionist friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for my theistic evolutionist friends

And I would like only those to respond here, please.

And, mods, if this is not the best place for this thread, please feel free to move it.

My question is, where do Adam and Eve fit in your belief that God used evolution to create?

Do they fit at all? If not, why?

Sorry, I guess that's 3 questions.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

And, mods, if this is not the best place for this thread, please feel free to move it.

My question is, where do Adam and Eve fit in your belief that God used evolution to create?

If it's not the right place does that mean that since it's partly your site you'll have to kick yourself out of your own thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      If it's not the right place does that mean that since it's partly your site you'll have to kick yourself out of your own thread?
      No. We'll just move it to the right place. I think that's what I said in my op.

Are you a theistic evolutionist, Sea?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Adam is the first human to know God in the Adamic Cycle in the cycle of human spiritual evolution, not the first human

Does not fit in the traditional Christian world view. This is and ancient mythical view.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I think this was a traditional story that was included in the OT because it was part of Israel's understanding of its relationship to God, much like much of the rest of the OT historical books. As a story it doesn't necessarily have one official meaning. Just look at what people get out of Jesus' parables. But one reasonable implication is that our problems are sufficiently endemic that even if you put us in a perfect environment we'd still mess up.

So the answer is that the story has nothing to do with how we evolved.

Some people have tried a compromise, with evolution, but a belief that some point in the process there was a pair of beings who become the first humans. Unfortunately that resolution won't work. Evolution involves populations, not individuals. There wasn't a first pair of humans. I guess God could have given human souls to two people and it slowly spread throughout the human population. But this doesn't seem to have much connection with the story itself. I think it's just a way of trying to salvage a kind of interpretation that doesn't make sense anyway.
          Last edited by hedrick; 07-26-2015, 02:01 PM.

Comment

No. We'll just move it to the right place. I think that's what I said in my op.

Are you a theistic evolutionist, Sea?
            No, I'm an atheist.

lilpixieofterror is one and she made some points about this subject to me in a thread debate we had.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Adam is the first human to know God in the Adamic Cycle in the cycle of human spiritual evolution, not the first human

Does not fit in the traditional Christian world view. This is and ancient mythical view.
              What do you mean, it doesn't fit in the traditional Christian world view? Are you saying that Christians don't believe Adam and Eve were the first created humans?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                No, I'm an atheist.

lilpixieofterror is one and she made some points about this subject to me in a thread debate we had.
                Ok. I didn't think you were, but wondered why you were posting here otherwise.

Comment

I'm not sure that I am a theistic evolutionist because I don't know what that admission would commit me to but I do believe that evolution is a good description of the creation process. Like John Lennox in Seven Days that Divide the World, I believe that the process is guided by God and that He can input data wherever He might choose. At the transition from non living matter to life for instance. I believe that the creation of Adam/Eve could be another place where God intervenes so that it is possible to believe in evolution and special creation. However my thoughts on this are not set in stone. I am flexible and willing to follow science wherever it leads. My faith in God will never be challenged by science although my pet ways of thinking might.

Comment

Ok. I didn't think you were, but wondered why you were posting here otherwise.

She starts about middle of the page: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...o-others/page3

Comment

Is that everybody?

Comment

No Mossy. I am actually trying to consider how to put my point of view. I kind of have a both and point of view. Also when there isn't a baby screeching would be better.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Is that everybody?
                          No. I'll get to it later but suffice it to say that I believe that there was a literal Adam and Eve.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ok. I will wait for a while.

Comment

Theistic Evolutionist beliefs are not quite as well defined as YEC views might be, so you're likely to run into a few different answers:

1. Adam and Eve were the first two modern humans.
                              2. Adam and Eve are a symbol for the first humans and didn't really exist.
                              3. Adam and Eve were there first ancient hominids that existed millions of years ago.
                              4. Adam and Eve were part of a small group of humans that contained a few individuals.

These tend to be the most common views on this question.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment