Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Drop everything, ANOTHER feathered dinosaur ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop everything, ANOTHER feathered dinosaur ...

BBC reports here: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33510288

Yup, they've found yet another feathered dinosaur.
    This time - 'for sure' - the dino-bird Evolution has been "proven", right?

This kind of sensationalism is well beyond the point of getting old. Maybe at this very moment there's a Chinese peasant that's laughing his head off (?). I mean, why are all of these dino-bird discoveries in China? Could it be because Chinese peasants are more clever than peasants in other parts of the world? But wait ... the Chinese did not come up with Piltdown Man or Nebraska Man. So maybe the Chinese are good at fabricating dino-birds while the rest of the world is better at all other dino-critters?

Yawnnnnn ........... so little time, so many Evolutionists.

Jorge

You are a weird little man.
    "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
      You are a weird little man.
      A Neo Napoleon of an ancient paradigm.

Thank you for posting the article!!
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
        I mean, why are all of these dino-bird discoveries in China?
        Because the geology, climate, and massive, undeveloped stretches of desert lend themselves particularly well towards paleontological discovery.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Wow, Jorge is still posting his same old drivel as always....
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

This kind of sensationalism is well beyond the point of getting old. Maybe at this very moment there's a Chinese peasant that's laughing his head off (?). I mean, why are all of these dino-bird discoveries in China? Could it be because Chinese peasants are more clever than peasants in other parts of the world? But wait ... the Chinese did not come up with Piltdown Man or Nebraska Man. So maybe the Chinese are good at fabricating dino-birds while the rest of the world is better at all other dino-critters?

Jorge
            As the article noted

Source: Dinosaur find: Velociraptor ancestor was 'winged dragon'

Dr John Nudds, a senior lecturer in palaeontology at the University of Manchester, told BBC News the find was part of an "increasingly complex picture" of emerging evidence "that certainly a lot of [dinosaurs] and possibly even all of them had feathers or at least downy hair".

© Copyright Original Source

It is in effect another piece of a puzzle that is largely complete.

And while you do more than suggest fraud (since that is the only way you can discount the evidence) with your sneering remarks, there are several good reasons why most (not "all" as you claim) of theses dino-birds are coming from Liaoning Province of China. The primary reason, aside from the Yixian Formation being from the right time, is that it is largely composed of limestone and tuff (sedimentary rocks formed largely from fine volcanic ash) -- two mediums that allow for exquisite preservation.

Moreover while there was one notorious hoax (which wasn't accepted by a suspicious scientific community but pushed by a popular magazine eager to get a scoop), namely Archaeoraptor (not to be confused with the German Archaeopteryx), it should be pointed out that the remains of one of the actual dinosaurs that were used to make this composite turned out to be from a previously unknown type of dinosaur later named Microraptor -- likely a very small dromaeosaurid that possessed long pennaceous feathers that not only formed aerodynamic surfaces on the arms and tail but also on the legs as well making it in effect a four-winged dinosaur. These are true flight feathers just like those seen in modern birds. And considering that something like 300 specimens representing a couple different species have been found since then this, unlike Archaeoraptor, is no hoax or fake.

And for those interested, the entire paper describing this discovery can be found here: http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/1507...srep11775.html

I'll post the abstract

Source: A large, short-armed, winged dromaeosaurid (Dinosauria: Theropoda) from the Early Cretaceous of China and its implications for feather evolution

The famous ‘feathered dinosaurs’ from the Early Cretaceous of Liaoning Province, northeastern China, include several dromaeosaurids, which are among the closest relatives of birds. Most of these are small-bodied taxa with long arms and broad wings comprised of vaned feathers, but a single specimen (the holotype of Tianyuraptor) belongs to a much larger individual with reduced forelimbs, which unfortunately lacks any preserved integument. We describe a new specimen of large-bodied, short-armed Liaoning dromaeosaurid, which we designate as a new genus and species, Zhenyuanlong suni. The integument is well preserved and provides the first evidence of feather morphologies and distribution in a short-armed (and probably non-volant) dromaeosaurid, indicating that these rare and aberrant taxa had large wings consisting of pennaceous feathers on the arms and long pennaceous feathers on the tail very similar to their smaller and longer-armed relatives, but potentially lacked vaned feathers on the legs. Zhenyuanlong adds yet more diversity to the Liaoning dromaeosaurid fauna, helps further reveal a distinct short-armed bauplan among dromaeosaurids, and illuminates previously-unrecognized homoplasy that complicates dromaeosaurid phylogeny and suggests that the Liaoning taxa may not have formed their own clade.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by rogue06; 07-16-2015, 12:14 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Here is the actual fossil of Zhenyuanlong suni

Details of its feathers

And an artist's reconstruction

Since the fossil does not preserve any feathers along its hindlimbs I think this is speculative

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                Because the geology, climate, and massive, undeveloped stretches of desert lend themselves particularly well towards paleontological discovery.
                Quick burial in sediments is the key!

Actually, most of the discoveries are in volcanic sediments in a very active volcanic zone with short term cyclic fine ash eruptions which quickly buried the animals apparently gassed in large numbers and dropped (flying reptiles) or washed into the lakes. Predator and pray were quickly killed and buried. This was an ideal environment for preservation of fossils. I have been to several of these fossil locations when I lived in China. Deposits in Germany are related to the same environment. Volcanic slates.

The largest fossil deposits in North America have similar depositional environments. Wish Glen was still here.

The Mongolian fossil deposits were eolian sands along large river systems in a arid to semiarid region. Quick burial happened with sand dunes and sand storms. Some buried alive. It still happens today in some places.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I will say that feathered dinosaurs are aesthetically a lot uglier than the older depictions...

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                    I will say that feathered dinosaurs are aesthetically a lot uglier than the older depictions...
                    Makes you wonder how they found mates.
                    "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Course, that might explain their extinction.

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

Actually they were likely quite colorful like their cousins the birds of today.

Extinction was most likely by either/and meteorites, climate change, and/or volcanics. Pounded to make tender, steamed than barbecued.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-17-2015, 04:05 PM.

Frank

Comment

Jorge
                          Goodness Jorge. Does God really inspire you to write the nonsense you do? The God you reveal to me - is he really worthy of worship? If God can inspire you to write such drivel, then what hope is there for the bible being infallible and inerrant, given the same impeccable guidance?

As opposed to real Christians who point to a God worthy of worship, I think you need to read Matt 7:20, then take the following verses to heart. Either that, or lay off the whiskey before you post.

You post is a drive-by shooting of crap. You should be made to clean up the mess.
                          Last edited by rwatts; 07-18-2015, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I agree. T-Rex with downy feathers sounds kind of cute, not fearsome. Give me the scaled leathery version any day. To that extent, I think dinosaurs should be faked. :)

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                              I agree. T-Rex with downy feathers sounds kind of cute, not fearsome. Give me the scaled leathery version any day. To that extent, I think dinosaurs should be faked. :)
                              In that sense imagine just how much cooler they would be with jet packs and laser beams emitting from their eyes.

Comment