Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Kansas fluoride bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas fluoride bill

I've just been reading about the proposed bill in my state that would require a public warning to communities served by fluoridated water that there is a demonstrated link between fluoride and lower IQ in children. I seem inclined to view this with suspicion as I am not sure I even believe in the legitimacy of IQ to begin with, and it seems some dentists view this as on the level of a conspiracy theory. I thought I would run the issue by some of those with more of a science background to get more of an informed view on the issue.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/09...-fluoride.html
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Sounds like the folks in Lawrence have been listening to Joe Mercola. Try this: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...n-bad-science/

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
      Sounds like the folks in Lawrence have been listening to Joe Mercola. Try this: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...n-bad-science/
      Why Lawrence? It's culturally liberal and fairly distinct from the rest of the state.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Why Lawrence? It's culturally liberal and fairly distinct from the rest of the state.
        Maybe they've been watching Dr. Oz. From what I understand he brought Mercola on his show.

ETA: He's being advertised as "America's Doctor", and gives his credibility to even "psychic surgeons" IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          That's where the byline came from, I assumed that's where they story originated.

Comment

Gah, this one always irritates me. It's a pretty big issue over here in NZ. I know that at their last round of public consultations for their Annual plan one NZ council had a person throw in a thousand page submission against Flouride.

And when we had the last round of Local Government Elections (last year) Hamilton City Council had a referendum about putting flouride back in the water (after the coulcil decided to go against a previous referendum a from a couple of years back and remove it) the anti-flouride brigade got up in arms with the Waikato District Health board for daring to put out proper information about the issue.

(me personally I need to have extra flouride, so have a special mouthwash used once a week that is extra strong flouride)
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
              (me personally I need to have extra flouride, so have a special mouthwash used once a week that is extra strong flouride)
              And I'm assuming you've noticed no precipitous drop in your IQ?

The anti-fluoride nuts are not as bad as the anti-vaccination nuts. At least skipping fluoride doesn't get children killed. But they're still nuts.

Comment

And I'm assuming you've noticed no precipitous drop in your IQ?
                duh wha? (that's just the having been up for 42 hours and then only getting 4 hours sleep talking.....)

The anti-fluoride nuts are not as bad as the anti-vaccination nuts. At least skipping fluoride doesn't get children killed. But they're still nuts.
                The irony is they use the "we don't want chemicals in our water. So great, we'll get to removing the chlorine then shall we?
                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I'm surprised they aren't issuing warnings about Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) being mixed in with that fluoridated water

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, having met a few of the "Lawrence" psychos on the internet, and the other psycho's on the internet, there is no shortage of anti-flouridation. I have my own reasons for not giving flouride to children who are not old enough to not understand spit it out, however for the same age base I have always undertood from a dental perspective to give water with flouride in it. It has something to do with the risk of flouride toxicity being higher in young children. My dentist told me to wait until three, and I believe that is the standard of care. However this goes beyond what is normal and takes it to a whole new level. Fearmongering is a common tactic used by the so-called "anti science" crowd. I'm not sure why they want a person to believe that everything in medicine is evil, but they almost could be diagnosed with a paranoid delusion.
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I'm surprised they aren't issuing warnings about Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) being mixed in with that fluoridated water
                      Want to quote the whole joke? It is a powerful solvent, found in tumors, fatal if inhaled, ettc.
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

yup they want to kill us. This is the same crowd that doesn't think that childbirth comes with inherent risks and that its okay to deliver a breech baby at home despite the fact that without surgical intervention 1 in 30 would die and a greater number born has oxygen deprivation.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          It has something to do with the risk of flouride toxicity being higher in young children. My dentist told me to wait until three, and I believe that is the standard of care.
                          Makes perfect sense. However, do be careful, even after they reach the age of three, with flavored fluoridated tooth care products. Some kids ingest them and get sick. THe biggest symptom is GI upset--affects that would damage bone or teeth usually take chronic doses of above safe levels.

However this goes beyond what is normal and takes it to a whole new level. Fearmongering is a common tactic used by the so-called "anti science" crowd. I'm not sure why they want a person to believe that everything in medicine is evil, but they almost could be diagnosed with a paranoid delusion.
                          In the case of some, like Joe Mercola, it's because he's trying to sell you his snake oil. (References available upon request, or you can look him up on Wikipedia or Rationalwiki.)

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            Maybe they've been watching Dr. Oz. From what I understand he brought Mercola on his show.

ETA: He's being advertised as "America's Doctor", and gives his credibility to even "psychic surgeons" IIRC.
                            While Oz is truly an accomplished cardiothoracic surgeon he is also a notorious purveyor of woo including pushing the vaccines cause autism nonsense and bringing on John Edward to talk to ghosts

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                              yup they want to kill us. This is the same crowd that doesn't think that childbirth comes with inherent risks and that its okay to deliver a breech baby at home despite the fact that without surgical intervention 1 in 30 would die and a greater number born has oxygen deprivation.
                              "This man has acute appendicitis, rush him to the hospital!"

"Wait, he's a Christian Scientist"

"Oh. In that case, get him a copy of Reader's Digest!"

Comment