Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

2015 looking like another world record year for the global warming trend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 looking like another world record year for the global warming trend.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/jun/15/the-latest-global-temperature-data-are-breaking-records

The latest global temperature data are breaking records

Just today, NASA released its global temperature data for the month of May 2015. It was a scorching 0.71°C (1.3°F) above the long-term average. It is also the hottest first five months of any year ever recorded. As we look at climate patterns over the next year or so, it is likely that this year will set a new all-time record. In fact, as of now, 2015 is a whopping 0.1°C (0.17°F) hotter than last year, which itself was the hottest year on record.

Below, NASA’s annual temperatures are shown. Each year’s results are shown as black dots. Some years are warmer, some are cooler and we never want to put too much emphasis on any single year’s temperature. I have added a star to show where 2015 is so far this year, simply off the chart. The last 12 months are at record levels as well. So far June has been very hot as well, likely to end up warmer than May.

So why talk about month temperatures or even annual temperatures? Isn’t climate about long-term trends?

First, there has been a lot of discussion of the so-called ‘pause.’ As I have pointed out many times here and in my own research, there has been no pause at all. We know this first by looking at the rate of energy gain within the oceans. But other recent publications, like ones I’ve written about have taken account of instrument and measurement quality and they too find no pause.

Second, there has been a lot of discussion of why models were running hotter than surface air temperatures. There was a real divergence for a while with most models suggesting more warming. Well with 2014 and 2015, we see that the models and actual surface temperatures are in very close agreement.

When we combine surface temperatures with ocean heat content, as seen below, a clear picture emerges. Warming is continuing at a rapid rate.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Odd. We have had a record cold year until just now. All of my plants and rose that normally bloom in early May are just now starting to bloom.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Odd. We have had a record cold year until just now. All of my plants and rose that normally bloom in early May are just now starting to bloom.
      The US makes up like four percent of the the earth surface.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world is heating up.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gi...s=1200&pol=rob

nmaps.gif

Comment

Source: http://oceans.mit.edu/featured-stories/experiments-iceless-ocean

Fifty-five million years ago, the Earth was ice-less. Winters were balmy. Palm trees flourished all the way to the poles. As evidenced by fossils, crocodiles and broad-leaved, water-loving plants existed north of the Arctic Circle. This warmer world had warmer oceans, featuring deep ocean temperatures of 12 °C higher than now.

And we are still here...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Fifty-five million years ago, the Earth was ice-less. Winters were balmy. Palm trees flourished all the way to the poles. As evidenced by fossils, crocodiles and broad-leaved, water-loving plants existed north of the Arctic Circle. This warmer world had warmer oceans, featuring deep ocean temperatures of 12 °C higher than now.

And we are still here...
          "We were here 55 million years ago," said BtC.

Comment

Fifty-five million years ago, the Earth was ice-less.

And we are still here...
            Still?
            "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment

The point is, what is a normal temperature range for the earth? There isn't one.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Personal anecdotal experience at one location does not reflect the global data which is cited in this article.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  The point is, what is a normal temperature range for the earth? There isn't one.
                  The history of annual global temperatures does not relate to a, normal temperature range?, whatever that is. The Climate Change, and Global Warming trends are based on annual global data trends for air and water temperatures over time.

'If your head is in the oven and your feet in the freezer, your belly button would be average,' but of course the average is meaningless.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Personal anecdotal experience at one location does not reflect the global data which is cited in this article.
                    Is that your standard reply to anything you disagree with?

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      "We were here 55 million years ago," said BtC.
                      That's not what I meant. The world didn't burn to a cinder and life still existed just fine.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                        Still?
                        Life. Yes. Still.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                          The US makes up like four percent of the the earth surface.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world is heating up.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gi...s=1200&pol=rob

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7386[/ATTACH]
                          I'm in one of the red zones on your map and it's been a very mild summer so far.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            I'm in one of the red zones on your map and it's been a very mild summer so far.
                            That was for May.

Not calling you a liar.

Comment

The world didn't burn to a cinder and life still existed just fine.
                              During the Permian extinction, the world didn't burn to a cinder but life on land was cut back to slime molds.

"That's just fine," said BtC.

Comment