Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pope's Encyclical on environment released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope's Encyclical on environment released

"More than fifty years ago, with the world teetering on the brink of nuclear crisis, Pope Saint John XXIII wrote an Encyclical which not only rejected war but offered a proposal for peace. He addressed his message Pacem in Terris to the entire “Catholic world” and indeed “to all men and women of good will”. Now, faced as we are with global environmental deterioration, I wish to address every person living on this planet. "

http://w2.vatican.va/content/frances...audato-si.html

Let the speculation as to what it might say end. We now have an actual text to work with.

I don't mind if y'all link to articles or commentaries on it, whether they praise or condemn. If you do, though, I would respectfully ask that you make sure you've read, in addition to the excerpt quoted in said commentary, the surrounding paragraphs. The Pope has been taken out of context frequently enough already.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Pope Francis, in Sweeping Encyclical, Calls for Swift Action on Climate Change
    The Vatican released the encyclical at noon on Thursday, following a heavily attended news conference and amid widespread global interest. Vatican officials were infuriated after an Italian magazine on Monday posted a leaked draft of the encyclical online — one that almost exactly matched the final document. The breach led to speculation that opponents of Francis inside the Vatican wanted to embarrass him by undermining the planned rollout.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      Pope Francis, in Sweeping Encyclical, Calls for Swift Action on Climate Change
      The Vatican released the encyclical at noon on Thursday, following a heavily attended news conference and amid widespread global interest. Vatican officials were infuriated after an Italian magazine on Monday posted a leaked draft of the encyclical online — one that almost exactly matched the final document. The breach led to speculation that opponents of Francis inside the Vatican wanted to embarrass him by undermining the planned rollout.
      Eh, it was a leak of an earlier, if almost complete, draft. I can't see leak having much of an impact other than demonstrating that the Vatican is still the Vatican in terms of its corrupt and inefficient bureaucracy... and the Pope has openly acknowledged that and has been trying to clean it up. No surprise he hasn't entirely succeeded in only 2 years.

Comment

I've been following the reactions over at Catholic Answers, and if you don't mind, Spart, would like to drop a favorite here.

CatholicSheila
        The world is a bigger than the US and climate change isn't considered political in many parts of the world. It is simply seen as fact. The Pope is addressing the worlds faithful, not interfering in US politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
          Eh, it was a leak of an earlier, if almost complete, draft. I can't see leak having much of an impact other than demonstrating that the Vatican is still the Vatican in terms of its corrupt and inefficient bureaucracy... and the Pope has openly acknowledged that and has been trying to clean it up. No surprise he hasn't entirely succeeded in only 2 years.
          Hmm. I should have put a comment behind that quote. In case there's any doubt, I am very pleased with your pope today.

I was on my way to starting a thread on the encyclical's release when I noticed you'd already done so. So I ran through the article I was going to post as my own OP until I found something relevant to your OP. I've also been following posts by Catholic Answers' members on climate change for a while. (Don't tell Dee Dee.) I post as "lao tzu" over there, too. Much of the initial reaction is just what I wanted to see. Mixed in with the usual denialist cant there's a solid current of folks admonishing their fellow catholics to consider the pope's message carefully.

Comment

Oops!

For Pope Francis, caring about the environment goes hand in hand with taking a strong stand against abortion. "Since everything is interrelated, concern for the protection of nature is also incompatible with the justification of abortion," the encyclical says. "How can we genuinely teach the importance of concern for other vulnerable beings, however troublesome or inconvenient they may be, if we fail to protect a human embryo, even when its presence is uncomfortable and creates difficulties?"

Francis suggests that efforts to slow population growth are misguided and a distraction from the underlying cause of the world's environmental crisis—the hoarding of the Earth's resources by the rich and powerful. "To blame population growth instead of extreme and selective consumerism on the part of some, is one way of refusing to face the issues," the encyclical says.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/energ...lated-20150618
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

A'ight, now find some passages that you don't like so much and we can discuss those, too.

Comment

A'ight, now find some passages that you don't like so much and we can discuss those, too.
                The wonderful irony is that Pelosi was out there trumpeting the Pope's Encyclical on Climate Change - but this part was not known at the time. I wonder if she will be so accepting of the abortion part...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  The wonderful irony is that Pelosi was out there trumpeting the Pope's Encyclical on Climate Change - but this part was not known at the time. I wonder if she will be so accepting of the abortion part...
                  She'll do the same thing she's always done on abortion. And the Right will do the same thing it's always done on economics and the environment. Or are you going to try to prove me wrong?

Comment

She'll do the same thing she's always done on abortion. And the Right will do the same thing it's always done on economics and the environment. Or are you going to try to prove me wrong?
                    Prove what wrong? I don't argue a point because the "Pope" says. Pelosi does. She is a hypocrite. And let's face it other leftists will jump on the Pope's climate change opinion while dismissing his abortion stance.

http://www.democraticleader.gov/news...al-laudato-si/

Too bad she isn't this excited about saving the unborn.
                    Last edited by seer; 06-18-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment