Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Naomi Oreskes, the "denialists" bane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
    Which has nothing to do with the science.

Of course it does. Science does not beam Truth directly into our heads. If the people shouting endlessly about global warming are behaving contrary to their claims then there is no reason to take their claims seriously.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

You're pretty stupid even for Tweb. People are interested in different things and the study of the causes of climate and geophysics is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.
      Is this what you tell yourself to come to terms with your mediocrity, midwit? Doesn't look like it's working.

Things like the stock-market, farming, energy production, travel, and even war are all factored by long-term forecasts which people in authority rely on to make decisions.

Now corporations and climate scientists are best buds.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Is this what you tell yourself to come to terms with your mediocrity, midwit? Doesn't look like it's working.
        No, it's what I tell myself when I read your poorly written attempts at comedy. Don't quit your day job and ever become a comedian, alright? Just looking out for ya.

Now corporations and climate scientists are best buds.
        Depends on whether or not they are named ExxonMobil.

Comment

Which has nothing to do with the science.

What is your issue with the science?
          Well obviously the global elites aren't taking the science seriously since they haven't change their behavior one bit in the face of such dire predictions. As a matter of fact, they are more piggish than ever. Can you imagine the Co2 that was pumped into the the atmosphere in just one of these Climate summits? As they fly in with their private jets, get driven around in limos, eat the best food and stay at the best hotels. All on the tax payers dime! No, they don't believe what they preach.
          Last edited by seer; 06-16-2015, 02:25 PM.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

No, it's what I tell myself when I read your poorly written attempts at comedy. Don't quit your day job and ever become a comedian, alright? Just looking out for ya.
            Comedy? I think you misunderstand, this isn't friendly banter, and that wasn't a joke. It would be better described as calculated sadism. The midwit (you) is a fairly common archetype: you're smart enough to figure out there's something going on but not smart enough to figure out what. It's an amusingly cruel position to be in because you'll always be burdened with the indignity of knowing you're second rate. Truly stupid people are blessed in that they can't truly comprehend their status in life. But you know, and it takes its toll on the psyche. Which is why I'm happy to give that crack a little tap. I won't even pretend I'm looking out for you.

Depends on whether or not they are named ExxonMobil.
            All profits would be harmed by reducing fossil fuel dependence. It's just the way markets work. Oil is cheap and everybody benefits from that. Climate scientists provide negative utility to pretty much everybody other than hyper religious left wingers.

Comment

Ah, that civil conversation from the poor persecuted climate change "skeptics".
              There have been those who have proposed things like Nuremberg-style trials for them. Some have even demanded a possible death penalty for global warming skeptics like Robert Kennedy Jr. who accused them of treason and added "And we need to start treating them as traitors." Likewise, Dr. James Hansen an adjunct professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University and formerly with NASA demanded that skeptics be "put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature." The penalty for treason as well as for crimes against humanity is very often death.

Things like that certainly promote an atmosphere of persecution and lead to a somewhat justified sense of paranoia wouldn't you think?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Well obviously the global elites aren't taking the science seriously since they haven't change their behavior one bit in the face of such dire predictions. As a matter of fact, they are more piggish than ever. Can you imagine the Co2 that was pumped into the the atmosphere in just one of these Climate summits? As they fly in with their private jets, get driven around in limos, eat the best food and stay at the best hotels. All on the tax payers dime! No, they don't believe what they preach.
                What about the science do you have a problem with?

I am trying to give you a chance at proving your side.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  There have been those who have proposed things like Nuremberg-style trials for them. Some have even demanded a possible death penalty for global warming skeptics like Robert Kennedy Jr. who accused them of treason and added "And we need to start treating them as traitors." Likewise, Dr. James Hansen an adjunct professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University and formerly with NASA demanded that skeptics be "put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature." The penalty for treason as well as for crimes against humanity is very often death.

Things like that certainly promote an atmosphere of persecution and lead to a somewhat justified sense of paranoia wouldn't you think?
                  Don't know about the former but as for the latter, Hansen was referring to oil companies that fund people like Richard Lindzen.

So what is your problem with the science?

Comment

Comedy? I think you misunderstand, this isn't friendly banter, and that wasn't a joke. It would be better described as calculated sadism. The midwit (you) is a fairly common archetype: you're smart enough to figure out there's something going on but not smart enough to figure out what. It's an amusingly cruel position to be in because you'll always be burdened with the indignity of knowing you're second rate. Truly stupid people are blessed in that they can't truly comprehend their status in life. But you know, and it takes its toll on the psyche. Which is why I'm happy to give that crack a little tap. I won't even pretend I'm looking out for you.
                    You might want to go and get your head checked.

And if I'm second rate, what's that make you? A lot dumber than you thought.

Comment

What about the science do you have a problem with?
                      What science? Is the science settled on AGW? And if it is so clear why are those who are making these predictions not changing their behavior?
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You might want to go and get your head checked.
                        Sadly, psychology is even worse than climate science in terms of integrity and competence, so my head, like my privilege, will remain unchecked.

And if I'm second rate, what's that make you? A lot dumber than you thought.
                        It doesn't make me anything. Your intelligence has no bearing on mine. You're invested in me being stupid because midwits always resent those who stand above them. You could never have what I have and the indignity is killing you inside.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          What science? Is the science settled on AGW? And if it is so clear why are those who are making these predictions not changing their behavior?
                          As I thought. You have obviously no idea what you're talking about, and you couldn't care less as to whether the science is accurate. You're just an ideologue that needs to make this political, because that's what you really care about.

Comment

Sadly, psychology is even worse than climate science in terms of integrity and competence, so my head, like my privilege, will remain unchecked.
                            What a shame, the Smithsonian would have loved to have to put your amazingly small brain from your CAT scan on display for future students.

It doesn't make me anything. Your intelligence has no bearing on mine. You're invested in me being stupid because midwits always resent those who stand above them. You could never have what I have and the indignity is killing you inside.
                            An over-hanging forehead is what you have over me, and it kills me inside that you use a computer for your intellectual pollution.
                            Last edited by Sea of red; 06-16-2015, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Anybody want to debate the actual science, or is this just going to be another thread of conservative types playing politics?

Comment

You have obviously no idea what you're talking about
                                Yes, most of us aren't scientists. That's why trust is an important part of being a good scientist and an expert in general. There is (justifiably) no trust right now. I have no idea if global warming is true or not and I have no way of knowing that because there are no trustworthy institutions to inform me on the matter. Leftards infiltrate and corrupt institutions, then demand that their enemies accept them as authorities even when the corruption is blatant. In the past this sort of thing would have been perplexing but since my genius mind stumbled upon the possibility that not all humans are sentient it's a lot easier to explain. Liberals have trouble distinguishing between form and essence because you have no essence, only form. Thus, to you, everything is form because form is all you can perceive.

Comment