Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Physicists Are Philosophers, Too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
    Can you now answer the question? Can you (or anyone) give any examples of what philosophy and religion have brought to the table concerning the nature of our physical existence in the last 100 years?
    The philosophy/cosmogony of the Baha'i Faith of the Harmony of Science and religion that considers the evolving knowledge of science as Revelation of how God Created. This philosophy considers that ALL scripture considering the physical nature of our existence, including Baha'i Scripture, must be understood in the light of science.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Scientists typically have a PhD in their respective field of expertise.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy

Leave a comment:

• The Pixie
    replied
    Rightly or wrongly, I shall assume you are addressing the question I asked.
    Originally posted by Jude View Post
    Were scientists wrong to assert the philosophy and religion were outdated, and brought nothing to the table concerning the nature of our physical existence? Can you (or anyone) give any examples of what philosophy and religion have brought to the table in that regard in the last 100 years?
    Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. - Stephen Hawking

Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy needs to be answered. - CS Lewis
    Hawking is a physicist, not a philosophy, so hardly a good example of what religion and philosophy have brought to the table. Meanwhile, your Lewis quote is not about our physical existence.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jude View Post
    Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. - Stephen Hawking
    Point of meaning. The nothing in cosmology is not the same as the theological/philosophical ex nihilo.

Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy needs to be answered. - CS Lewis
    True

Leave a comment:

• Jude
    replied
    Were scientists wrong to assert the philosophy and religion were outdated, and brought nothing to the table concerning the nature of our physical existence? Can you (or anyone) give any examples of what philosophy and religion have brought to the table in that regard in the last 100 years?

Leave a comment:

• The Pixie
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I believe aspects of philosophy and religion are indeed outdated, and should be studied like ancient history. Unfortunately these arguments are constantly being retread by modern theists like Plantinga, who wasted his life with worthless circular arguments like the justification by way of Warrant and Proper Function

There are philosophies underlying the assumptions and presuppositions of the methods of science, and in particular the modern sciences of Cosmology where the evidence is not directly objectively verified by scientific methods. Popper was one modern philosopher that dealt with some of these philosophical problems.

Even though you would object, I believe there is justification for modern Cosmogony philosophy concerning religious belief and science, as in the Baha'i Faith.
    Can you now answer the question? Can you (or anyone) give any examples of what philosophy and religion have brought to the table concerning the nature of our physical existence in the last 100 years?

Leave a comment:

• rwatts
    replied
    The rift between Physics (science in general) and philosophy is nothing new. It is vary much a twentieth century phenomenon, arising partly out of rift between science and religion. Scientist in the twentieth century began to assert the philosophy and religion were outdated, and brought nothing to the table concerning the nature of our physical existence. Because of these rifts many scientists favored atheism or strong agnosticism. To a certain degree I agree with the scientists, but not entirely. The following article is worth the read and addresses some of the issues concerning these rifts.

I believe the rejection of philosophy by many scientists, because in reality all scientists have a philosophy and religious world and should explore these issues more.

Physicists Are Philosophers, Too

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/physicists-are-philosophers-too/?WT.mc_id=SA_BS_20150515

Editor’s Note: Shortly before his death last August at the age of 79, the noted physicist and public intellectual Victor Stenger worked with two co-authors to pen an article for Scientific American. In it Stenger and co-authors address the latest eruption of a long-standing historic feud, an argument between physicists and philosophers about the nature of their disciplines and the limits of science. Can instruments and experiments (or pure reason and theoretical models) ever reveal the ultimate nature of reality? Does the modern triumph of physics make philosophy obsolete? What philosophy, if any, could modern theoretical physicists be said to possess? Stenger and his co-authors introduce and address all these profound questions in this thoughtful essay and seek to mend the growing schism between these two great schools of thought. When physicists make claims about the universe, Stenger writes, they are also engaging in a grand philosophical tradition that dates back thousands of years. Inescapably, physicists are philosophers, too. This article, Stenger’s last, appears in full below.

© Copyright Original Source

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...SA_BS_20150515
    I prefer scientists with a philosophical bent. (Good philosophy helps keep them sober. It's good for the rest of us as well.)

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    I believe aspects of philosophy and religion are indeed outdated, and should be studied like ancient history. Unfortunately these arguments are constantly being retread by modern theists like Plantinga, who wasted his life with worthless circular arguments like the justification by way of Warrant and Proper Function

There are philosophies underlying the assumptions and presuppositions of the methods of science, and in particular the modern sciences of Cosmology where the evidence is not directly objectively verified by scientific methods. Popper was one modern philosopher that dealt with some of these philosophical problems.

Even though you would object, I believe there is justification for modern Cosmogony philosophy concerning religious belief and science, as in the Baha'i Faith.

Leave a comment:

• The Pixie
    replied
    The rift between Physics (science in general) and philosophy is nothing new. It is vary much a twentieth century phenomenon, arising partly out of rift between science and religion. Scientist in the twentieth century began to assert the philosophy and religion were outdated, and brought nothing to the table concerning the nature of our physical existence. Because of these rifts many scientists favored atheism or strong agnosticism. To a certain degree I agree with the scientists, but not entirely. The following article is worth the read and addresses some of the issues concerning these rifts.

Leave a comment:

• Sea of red
    replied
    Philosophy and science are two languages to the same universe.

Science shows us what's observable and philosophy shapes our worldview.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    started a topic Physicists Are Philosophers, Too?

Physicists Are Philosophers, Too?

I believe the rejection of philosophy by many scientists, because in reality all scientists have a philosophy and religious world and should explore these issues more.

Physicists Are Philosophers, Too

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/physicists-are-philosophers-too/?WT.mc_id=SA_BS_20150515

Editor’s Note: Shortly before his death last August at the age of 79, the noted physicist and public intellectual Victor Stenger worked with two co-authors to pen an article for Scientific American. In it Stenger and co-authors address the latest eruption of a long-standing historic feud, an argument between physicists and philosophers about the nature of their disciplines and the limits of science. Can instruments and experiments (or pure reason and theoretical models) ever reveal the ultimate nature of reality? Does the modern triumph of physics make philosophy obsolete? What philosophy, if any, could modern theoretical physicists be said to possess? Stenger and his co-authors introduce and address all these profound questions in this thoughtful essay and seek to mend the growing schism between these two great schools of thought. When physicists make claims about the universe, Stenger writes, they are also engaging in a grand philosophical tradition that dates back thousands of years. Inescapably, physicists are philosophers, too. This article, Stenger’s last, appears in full below.

© Copyright Original Source

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...SA_BS_20150515