Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bill Nye denies evolution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Nye denies evolution.

I'm sure Kent Hovind and Jonathan Sarfati will be looking forward to working with Bill in the coming years.

Are we not talking what he said out of context here?
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
      Are we not talking what he said out of context here?
      Not really; what Epo's doing is making stuff up and linking to an unrelated article. Bill Nye saying that humans are all the same (i.e. one species) is an affirmation of evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
        Not really; what Epo's doing is making stuff up and linking to an unrelated article. Bill Nye saying that humans are all the same (i.e. one species) is an affirmation of evolution.
        Not all members of a species are the same. Neither are all the sub-species (IE: dogs). What Nye is saying is that a species whose populations occupy nearly every environment on this planet all somehow evolved to be identical (except for minor different traits like skin color), which is both absurd and more unscientific than creationism on the matter (creationism still acknowledges evolution within the species). The reality is that the odds that all human groups are identical on any given trait are around zero and to claim otherwise is to deny evolution.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Not all members of a species are the same. Neither are all the sub-species (IE: dogs). What Nye is saying is that a species whose populations occupy nearly every environment on this planet all somehow evolved to be identical (except for minor different traits like skin color), which is both absurd and more unscientific than creationism on the matter (creationism still acknowledges evolution within the species). The reality is that the odds that all human groups are identical on any given trait are around zero and to claim otherwise is to deny evolution.
          Humans have developed and executed the ability to travel and colonize the entire planet over the last 100,000 years. We spread ourselves around Darth. We didn't evolve simultaneously at different places on the Earth to be effectively the same species.

Jim
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-08-2015, 08:53 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Humans have developed and executed the ability to travel and colonize the entire planet over the last 100,000 years.
            Which humans? Where? What was the common phenotype and genotype of those humans?

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
              Which humans? Where? What was the common phenotype and genotype of those humans?
              That would be an area of research. Two competing theories are 'multiregional' and 'out of Africa'. And there were, in the distant past, various forms of hominid (e.g. Neanderthal, Floresis) that were quite different. Neanderthal at least in part was absorbed by us. Floresis, as far as we know, simply died out. But the key point is we (humans) spread and merged and dominated the intelligent hominid niche - very much in line with the ToE. Darth's claim there is a serious conflict between humanity being a single species world wide and the ToE is unfounded.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Humans have developed and executed the ability to travel and colonize the entire planet over the last 100,000 years. We spread ourselves around Darth. We didn't evolve simultaneously at different places on the Earth to be effectively the same species.

Jim
                Absolutely. Rather, we started off from a similar point (how similar is also up for debate) and continued to evolve across the last 100,000 years as we spread across the planet and various populations were faced with different environments. The only requirement to belong to the same species is being able to interbreed and produce fertile offspring.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Darth's claim there is a serious conflict between humanity being a single species world wide and the ToE
                  I claimed no such thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Absolutely. Rather, we started off from a similar point (how similar is also up for debate) and continued to evolve across the last 100,000 years as we spread across the planet and various populations were faced with different environments. The only requirement to belong to the same species is being able to interbreed and produce fertile offspring.
                    You are ignoring the slow pace of evolution and the ultimately short times any one human population (on an evolutionary scale) has actually been completely isolated.

JIm

Comment

You are ignoring the slow pace of evolution
                      Evolution does not have a consistent pace. Animals (and people) faced with new environments will evolve much faster than those in a more stable ecosystem.

and the ultimately short times any one human population (on an evolutionary scale) has actually been completely isolated.

JIm
                      You don't need complete isolation to evolve in different directions.

Comment

I'm sure Kent Hovind and Jonathan Sarfati will be looking forward to working with Bill in the coming years.
                        Ah . . . no, Bill Nye does no such thing.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Considering genetic research the African homo sapiens have the common ancestor phenotype and genotype for all humans
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-08-2015, 10:54 AM.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

To be fair he isn't denying evolution. He just said something stupid in regards to it.
                            “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

You are ignoring the slow pace of evolution and the ultimately short times any one human population (on an evolutionary scale) has actually been completely isolated.

JIm
                              And you are ignoring the ability of civilizations to exert massive selection pressures on their human population over evolutionarily minute timescales.

So, which humans, where, phenotype, genotype, etc, developed the greatest and most focused ability to travel and colonize? Particularly within the last 500 years or so?

Comment