Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Astronomers discover most distant galaxy yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astronomers discover most distant galaxy yet

Source: http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/maryland-health/bs-hs-furthest-galaxy-20150505-story.html

Astronomers discover most distant galaxy yet

astronomers have peered deeper into the universe than ever before, setting a record for the most distant galaxy ever spotted by telescopes..

The galaxy is more than 13 billion years old, created just 670 million years after the Big Bang. Astronomers spotted it deep within Hubble Space Telescope images, and a team led by scientists at Yale University and the University of California confirmed its existence and age using data from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope and a ground-based telescope in Hawaii.

Astronomers called it a significant step, with more advances expected once powerful telescopes under construction are completed.

"It kind of makes us think this is like the tip of the iceberg," said Jennifer Lotz, an associate astronomer at Baltimore's Space Telescope Science Institute, which manages scientific operations of Hubble and its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope, which is scheduled to launch in 2018. "With the next generation of telescopes, we'll start to see a lot more things at the edge of the universe."

The galaxy, named EGS-zs8-1, stood out in images taken by the Hubble and Spitzer telescopes as one of the brightest and largest objects in the early universe.

© Copyright Original Source

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/m...505-story.html
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Hurrah!
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Comment

Walking distance
      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment