Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jeddidiah's question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Since you seem to know better than I do there is no need for me to respond. I posited a position and no one is willing to answer.
    I answered.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      I answered.
      Non-responsive. You made up a belief and pointed out the problems with that.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Non-responsive. You made up a belief and pointed out the problems with that.
        Bovine faeces. I responded to the position stated in the OP. Twice.

If what you wrote doesn't sufficiently describe your actual belief then maybe you should elaborate on the details (such as the nature of these "long undefined periods of time" - are they consecutive? Parallel? Intermittent? Overlapping? Decades/centuries/millennia/billennia/trillennia? Ongoing? Purely historical? Differentiable? Discrete? Dissimilar?), rather than repeatedly dismissing all responses as being irrelevant while never explaining why. Your evasiveness to date is wholly consistent with you not actually having any beliefs capable of surviving even the skimpiest scrutiny, and frantically failing to hide that fact.

Roy
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Bovine faeces. I responded to the position stated in the OP. Twice.

If what you wrote doesn't sufficiently describe your actual belief then maybe you should elaborate on the details (such as the nature of these "long undefined periods of time" - are they consecutive? Parallel? Intermittent? Overlapping? Decades/centuries/millennia/billennia/trillennia? Ongoing? Purely historical? Differentiable? Discrete? Dissimilar?), rather than repeatedly dismissing all responses as being irrelevant while never explaining why. Your evasiveness to date is wholly consistent with you not actually having any beliefs capable of surviving even the skimpiest scrutiny, and frantically failing to hide that fact.

Roy
          If God created things in the same time frame as we see expressed in the geological, and fossil record none of this has any bearing on the issue. Because it does not gibe with your chosen interpretation of Genesis is completely irrelevant. If God gave us both creation and scripture they will not disagree if understood correctly.
          What more do you want?
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What more do you want?
            Integrity.

Comment

I have done my best to be honest and open. If you think I lack integrity I am sorry. I do not even know where this accusation comes from. If you care to explain, go ahead. If you are simply being unpleasant I guess I am done. No one even tried to answer anyway.

Comment

I have done my best to be honest and open. If you think I lack integrity I am sorry. I do not even know where this accusation comes from. If you care to explain, go ahead. If you are simply being unpleasant I guess I am done. No one even tried to answer anyway.
                I do not see a problem of 'integrity,' but definite communication issues as to terminology and failure to adequately clarification of your view of this thread. You may say you tried your best, but I do not see it.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

ETA: I did suggest that you ask specific questions if there were something that you failed to understand. What more can I do?

Comment

ETA: I did suggest that you ask specific questions if there were something that you failed to understand. What more can I do?
                    Answer the questions!!!!
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I have done my best to be honest and open. If you think I lack integrity I am sorry. I do not even know where this accusation comes from.
                      Well, it started when you complained that no evolutionists ever answered you in a forum where they aren't allowed to post.

It continued when you ignored this thread until shunya suckered you in.

It continued further when you repeatedly brushed off my attempt to answer with an empty claim and no details whatsoever.

It went on when you were asked to clarify your meaning and didn't, and again when you chose to use an obvious typo as an excuse to imply that the mistyper might be ignorant.

It continued again when you elicited specific questions and simply ignored them.

It continued to continue when you referred to an understanding of scripture that is consistent with scientific evidence, yet declined not only to describe that understanding but even say whether you knew it. I suspect you don't, which raises another problem: if it is your position that there is an understanding of scripture that is consistent with the scientific evidence, then your quote in the OP is asking for something you believe cannot exist, rejecting all attempts to provide it because that's impossible, and then complaining that no-one has answered.

It then continued when you claimed I had made false assumptions but refused to identify them, and that I had missed something you had written earlier but refused to say what. Then you ignored further requests for clarification and some more direct questions concerning your meaning.

Finally, it came to this:
                      No one even tried to answer anyway.
                      I tried to answer. If I failed, it's primarily because you repeatedly refused to clarify your meaning, and secondarily because you repeatedly rejected my attempts without giving even the slightest clue as to why. But whether I succeeded or not, my posts #2 and #29 in this thread are definitely and obviously attempts to answer (you even acknowledged post #2 as such in your post #15) and your final comment above is a big fat lie.

Roy
                      Last edited by Roy; 05-23-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Well, it started when you complained that no evolutionists ever answered you in a forum where they aren't allowed to post.

It continued further when you repeatedly brushed off my attempt to answer with an empty claim and no details whatsoever.

It went on when you were asked to clarify your meaning and didn't, and again when you chose to use an obvious typo as an excuse to imply that the mistyper might be ignorant.

It continued again when you elicited specific questions and simply ignored them.

It continued to continue when you referred to an understanding of scripture that is consistent with scientific evidence, yet declined not only to describe that understanding but even say whether you knew it. I suspect you don't, which raises another problem: if it is your position that there is an understanding of scripture that is consistent with the scientific evidence, then your quote in the OP is asking for something you believe cannot exist, rejecting all attempts to provide it because that's impossible, and then complaining that no-one has answered.

It then continued when you claimed I had made false assumptions but refused to identify them, and that I had missed something you had written earlier but refused to say what. Then you ignored further requests for clarification and some more direct questions concerning your meaning.

Finally, it came to this:I tried to answer. If I failed, it's primarily because you repeatedly refused to clarify your meaning, and secondarily because you repeatedly rejected my attempts without giving even the slightest clue as to why. But whether I succeeded or not, my posts #2 and #29 in this thread are definitely and obviously attempts to answer (you even acknowledged post #2 as such in your post #15) and your final comment above is a big fat lie.

Roy
                        Ask me one question that has not been answered. Either one of you two. You claim to have asked, but either I thought they were answered or I miss understood. One question at a time.

Comment

I did not ask my question in a forum no evolutionist was allowed to post. I made a complaint in such a forum about having asked such a question in the past. I ignored the thread because it seemed not to have any responsive posts. You obviously feel differently.

Comment

Ask me one question that has not been answered. Either one of you two. You claim to have asked, but either I thought they were answered or I miss understood. One question at a time.
                            From #48, and quoted but not answered by you in post #49:

If what you wrote doesn't sufficiently describe your actual belief then maybe you should elaborate on the details (such as the nature of these "long undefined periods of time" - are they consecutive?

Roy

Comment

I did not ask my question in a forum no evolutionist was allowed to post. I made a complaint in such a forum about having asked such a question in the past. I ignored the thread because it seemed not to have any responsive posts. You obviously feel differently.
                              It was having such questions that you referred to that was the topic of the thread, which you asserted that evolutionists could or would not answer that was the issue. You failed to provide and clarify those questions in a forum where they could be answered.

What are the questions that remain unanswered?

Frank

Comment

From #48, and quoted but not answered by you in post #49:

If what you wrote doesn't sufficiently describe your actual belief then maybe you should elaborate on the details (such as the nature of these "long undefined periods of time" - are they consecutive?

Roy
                                If you want a discussion of the details of my understanding you will have to try elsewhere. Reasons To Believe has pretty much what my understanding is spelled out. This is why I found your question non-responsive. The question I had, the only question I had was pretty specific. If I agree completely with the fossil record (yes I understand that details change with new information, but the basic outline remains) and that is the basis of my question. I am not interested in running off on some rabbit trails.

My understanding is exactly the same as the majority with one exception - I make one less assumption; I do not add in the requirement that there be a purely material explanation for what we see in the fossil record. Where others, including Theistic Evolutionists, see evolution in action I see the fiat creative action of God. Everything is exactly the same otherwise.
                                This is the crux of the matter. I do not care if you understand the background. I have asked this question in the context of a discussion - which I do not care to have here - and it has not been answered. No one even tried to answer it. Sure I did not present it as you might like, but I did not initiate this discussion.

According to my understanding spelled out in the quote above how would you tell the difference?

Comment