Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Stellar and Planetary Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pytharchimedes View Post
    Wise words. Where did you learn this?
    Learn what? A cliche?

I'm really not trying to be snarky. Your questions reveal a very low level of science education. That's ok, I can't do brain surgery. But if I was really interested in brain surgery I'd study up on it first.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      Learn what? A cliche?

I'm really not trying to be snarky. Your questions reveal a very low level of science education. That's ok, I can't do brain surgery. But if I was really interested in brain surgery I'd study up on it first.
      Well, my questions, my pictorials, nor, were my presented drawings related to "brain surgery". I am very concerned about your belief displayed in the saying "Teach a man to fish' and so on", this holds more water than you care to drink...tell me more about it.

Are you saying you teach me how to fish by throwing a website in front of me? Then you are the same as those that spit out scripture as the word of God.

Answer my questions, then, you will feed me.

My first one is, do you feel for the spiral or the circle? Which is more perfect? In your respected opinion?
      Last edited by Pytharchimedes; 04-28-2015, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Well, my questions, my pictorials, nor were my presented drawings related to "brain surgery". I am very concerned about your belief displayed in the saying "Teach a man to fish' and so on", this holds more water than you care to drink...tell me more about it.

Are you saying you teach me how to fish by throwing a website in front of me? Then you are the same as those that spit out scripture as the word of God.

Answer my questions, then, you will feed me.

My first one is, do you feel for the spiral or the circle? Which is more perfect? In your respected opinion?
        Sigh. I'm getting a terrible 'Yoda' feeling about you.

I taught high school physics in Australia. I did not teach it as a series of facts or received wisdom. Every reasonable physics course does the same, helping students to arrive at their own understanding, thinking critically and based on experiment. I'm suggesting that there is a long road ahead for you in understanding introductory physics. That's great if you want to do that. There are lots of great resources these days illustrating physics concepts.

I don't think a forum like this is the best venue for teaching and learning physics. It's too limited. That's why I suggested these other avenues. If you don't want to take them that's fine with me.

Comment

I taught high school physics in Australia. I did not teach it as a series of facts or received wisdom. Every reasonable physics course does the same, helping students to arrive at their own understanding
          Commendable, yet, you still dodge my simple question, which of these mathematical designs are more appeasing to the mind?

Oval.gif

bentcircle.gif

circle.png

spiral.jpg

garbled.png

Have you not developed a geometric sensibility? Why not just say which is most appealing to your mathematical nature?

Thinking critically and based on experiment. I'm suggesting that there is a long road ahead for you in understanding introductory physics. That's great if you want to do that. There are lots of great resources these days illustrating physics concepts. I don't think a forum like this is the best venue for teaching and learning physics. It's too limited. That's why I suggested these other avenues. If you don't want to take them that's fine with me.
          You might thinks my questions are dumb, but at least address where my stupidity lies? That is the least you could do.

Here is the challenge, label the previous geometric shapes in order of their perfection? Can you do it? Or will you say its impossible?
          Last edited by Pytharchimedes; 04-28-2015, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Commendable, yet, you still dodge my simple question, which of these mathematical designs are more appeasing to the mind?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6056[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6057[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6058[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6059[/ATTACH]

Have you not developed a geometric sensibility?

Lol, you're laying it on a bit thick. But ... it depends on the observer and their knowledge. Each figure has some interesting mathematics to it.

Comment

Lol, you're laying it on a bit thick. But ... it depends on the observer and their knowledge. Each figure has some interesting mathematics to it.
              Can you just tell me which is the most perfect in your own mind? Or, is that to hard for you?

Labeling the level of perfection would be even better, from 1-5? please try?

Comment

Can you just tell me which is the most perfect in your own mind? Or, is that to hard for you?

Labeling the level of perfection would be even better, from 1-5? please try?
                No, your question makes no sense to me. I can perceive the unique beauty in each mathematical shape. Your question is based on the premise that there is a competition in beauty. There is not.

Comment

'Perfect', like 'unique', 'non-existent' and 'pregnant', is an absolute adjective - something either is or is not perfect, there are no shades or gradations of perfectness, and one item cannot be more perfect than another.

Roy
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Sigh. I'm getting a terrible 'Yoda' feeling about you.
                    As long as she doesn't turn into a bouncing CG frog with a green glowstick, we should be fine.
                    "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

This one is bester:

ragsDampedSineWave_e_p5_Sin_4x_0_2Pi.jpg
                      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

I'm kinda partial to these:

heart.jpeg

Comment

But the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked. Who can know it?
                          "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

heart.jpeg

These are beautiful.

Sinewave.jpg

But indeed, this is beautifuller.

I must apologize to myself for derailing my own thread. Truthfully, it was the fault of my good friend Jameson, he put me up to it!
                            Last edited by Pytharchimedes; 04-29-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Something interesting to think about...while we talked about these two beautiful graphs;

Spiral_of_Archimedes.svg.jpg

The Archimedean Spiral/Newton's Theory of Ovals;

NonSimpleSinewave.jpg

and the Non-Simple Sine Wave.

We were looking at a similar image, from a different perspective.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Pytharchimedes; 05-04-2015, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Your middle graph is not a simple sine wave.

Comment