Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Head Transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Transplant

A Russian man with spinal muscular atrophy has volunteered to undergo a head transplant.

Source: Business Insider

In a procedure that would be nothing short of revolutionary, a 30-year-old Russian man has volunteered to be the first person to have his head transplanted onto another human body.

In an interview with Russia Today, Valery Spiridonov, the volunteer, explained that he has a rare muscle condition, called Werdnig-Hoffmann disorder, aka spinal muscular atrophy, which causes one's muscles to waste away and which has no known cure.

He believes that the surgery could help prolong his life and be a boon for scientific research.

"I'm very interested in technology, and anything progressive that might change people's lives for the better," Spiridonov told RT. "Doing this isn't only an excellent opportunity for me, but will also create a scientific basis for future generations, no matter what the actual outcome of the surgery is."

The operation will reportedly last up to 36 hours and cost an estimated $11 million. The entire procedure will require the assistance of about 150 doctors and nurses. RT reports that the operation will be orchestrated by Dr. Sergio Canavero, a renowned neurosurgeon and the director of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group in Turin, Italy.

Dr. Canavero explained this procedure — called HEAVEN, an acronym for "head anastomosis venture" — in a TedX talk in December, embedded here.

Spiridonov's new body will be taken from "a brain-dead but otherwise healthy donor," and Spiridonov's brain will be cooled to between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit to prolong the time brain cells can survive without oxygen. The spinal cord will be cut with a special scalpel that's especially sharp, and the head will be reconnected to the new body and spinal cord with "a special biological glue."

Once the operation is finished, Spiridonov will be put into a coma for three to four weeks to prevent any movement, and he will be given immunosuppressents so that his body doesn't reject the new head.

© Copyright Original Source

Source
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

um yeah.

Comment

Comment

0CXh.jpg
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I see no way this could work. They can't even repair spinal cord damage so how would they ever line up and fuse a head to a body?

But Russians are known for making sensational claims.

Comment

If it fails we may never hear about it at all.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Pretty much my response too.

Comment

"I am sorry sir, but all we had available was the body of a 70-year old woman."

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    This.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I see no way this could work. They can't even repair spinal cord damage so how would they ever line up and fuse a head to a body?
                      "Special biological glue".

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        "I am sorry sir, but all we had available was the body of a 70-year old woman."

Hers you think?

Comment

Originally posted by sfs1 View Post
                          "Special biological glue".
                          When I read that, I just thought, "Huh."

Comment

It's still April. The OP did not have a date, so it could be the 1st.
                            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Who needs a body, anyway?
                              The Voices_9.jpg

Comment