Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Racist Babies!!! For Nat Sci 301, ...!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racist Babies!!! For Nat Sci 301, ...!!!

ok, for those of you who read other stuff besides peer reviewed Plos abstracts, one Vanessa Summers, Democratic member of the Indiana House of Representatives, African American, has accused one of her colleagues (White Republican Judd McMillin) of having a racist toddler.

"Rep. Vanessa Summers was debating the Religious Freedom Restoration Act on Monday when she speculated that Republican Rep. Jud McMillin’s young son is a fledgling racist.

“I have told Representative McMillin I love his little son, but he’s scared of me because of my color,” Summers speculated. “And that’s horrible.”
    Daily Caller

and here is the youtube Kelly Files cited in the TWEB Civics forum

ok, she probably is a loony lib,

HOWEVER,

Is it scientifically possible, even if not in this particular claim.

Source: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC

Mice Inherit Specific Memories, Because Epigenetics?
    by Virginia Hughes

"......The researchers made mice afraid of a fruity odor, called acetophenone, by pairing it with a mild shock to the foot. In a study published a few years ago, Ressler had shown that this type of fear learning is specific: Mice trained to fear one particular smell show an increased startle to that odor but not others. What’s more, this fear learning changes the organization of neurons in the animal’s nose, leading to more cells that are sensitive to that particular smell.

Ten days after this fear training, Dias allowed the animals to mate. And that’s where the crazy begins. The offspring (known as the F1 generation) show an increased startle to the fruity smell even when they have never encountered the smell before, and thus have no obvious reason to be sensitive to it. And their reaction is specific: They do not startle to another odor called propanol. Craziest of all, their offspring (the F2 generation) show the same increased sensitivity to acetophenone....."

"......Still, those experiments couldn’t rule out some kind of social, rather than biological transmission. Perhaps fathers exposed to the fear training treated their children differently. Or maybe mothers, sensing something odd in their mate’s behavior, treated their children differently.

To control for these possibilities, the researchers performed an in vitro fertilization (IVF) experiment in which they trained male animals to fear acetophenone and then 10 days later harvested the animals’ sperm. They sent the sperm to another lab across campus where it was used to artificially inseminate female mice. Then the researchers looked at the brains of the offspring. They had larger M71 glomeruli, just as before. (The researchers couldn’t perform behavioral tests on these animals because of laboratory regulations about animal quarantine.)...."
    SOURCE

© Copyright Original Source

if that's the case in Indiana, maybe somebody ought to ask Jud McMillin if he ever got the crap beat out of him by a gang of African Americans in the school hallway when he was alone or something.
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

We already did this thread in Civics.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      We already did this thread in Civics.
      I know. (notice I cited the Kelly files video was already in Sparko's OP in Civics)

This is from a science perspective though.

I don't care about what happened in Indiana, but I am interested in epigenetics.
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
        ... but I am interested in epigenetics.
        Indeed.

If the research holds up then it's both fascinating and worrying. Worrying in the sense of how long war trauma and its bad effects, as one example, may take to pass from a population. Here's an interesting article from Nature:-

Epigenetics: The sins of the father.

Comment

I know. (notice I cited the Kelly files video was already in Sparko's OP in Civics)

This is from a science perspective though.

I don't care about what happened in Indiana, but I am interested in epigenetics.
          All righty, then.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It raises an interesting issue: IF certain attitudes can be inherited (and I am in no way convinced they can) then to what extent is the holder of such attitudes to be held responsible?

There was an experiment that purported to show worms fed ground up worms who had learned a maze learned the maze more quickly. The experimental results have never been reproduced.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
              It raises an interesting issue: IF certain attitudes can be inherited (and I am in no way convinced they can) then to what extent is the holder of such attitudes to be held responsible?

There was an experiment that purported to show worms fed ground up worms who had learned a maze learned the maze more quickly. The experimental results have never been reproduced.
              maybe that's how Hannibal Lecter got to be so smart.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                Indeed.

If the research holds up then it's both fascinating and worrying. Worrying in the sense of how long war trauma and its bad effects, as one example, may take to pass from a population. Here's an interesting article from Nature:-

Epigenetics: The sins of the father.
                I'm more worried about the little things.
                Little things like me when the scientists figure out how to manipulate DNA Methylation.
                ...just a matter of time.

they say:

""Anything we can learn from these studies about how to manipulate the process of changing DNA methylation status is going to have implications for human development and disease, including cancer and degenerative disorders," says Hongjun Song, Ph.D., professor of neurology and neuroscience and director of the Stem Cell Program in the Institute for Cell Engineering, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine."
                JOHN HOPKINS MEDICINE 'Hopkins Team Discovers How DNA Changes'

But I know whats really going to happen.

GATTACA.

Right now, its almost possible to rise from the 'have-nots' community to the 'haves' community.

When the 'haves' corner the access to genetic manipulation (via DNA methylation / epigenetic manipulation) it will be impossible for the rest of the population.

Comment

I'm more worried about the little things.
                  Little things like me when the scientists figure out how to manipulate DNA Methylation.
                  ...just a matter of time.

they say:

""Anything we can learn from these studies about how to manipulate the process of changing DNA methylation status is going to have implications for human development and disease, including cancer and degenerative disorders," says Hongjun Song, Ph.D., professor of neurology and neuroscience and director of the Stem Cell Program in the Institute for Cell Engineering, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine."
                  JOHN HOPKINS MEDICINE 'Hopkins Team Discovers How DNA Changes'

But I know whats really going to happen.

GATTACA.

Right now, its almost possible to rise from the 'have-nots' community to the 'haves' community.

When the 'haves' corner the access to genetic manipulation (via DNA methylation / epigenetic manipulation) it will be impossible for the rest of the population.
                  While I don't deny your points, and this kind of thing is a real concern IMO, control of one group of humans by another group, has happened across history.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post

I found this sentence weirdly hard to understand, at first.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment