Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Radiocarbon Dating by Willard F Libby.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiocarbon Dating by Willard F Libby.

I have had the book in my hands. It was a library book. That Pomona library has since been closed.

The book documents that coal and oil having being carbon dated. While the accuracy had question marks. They were every one under 40,000 years. About 30,000 and under.

Nothing to indicate millions of years. This book is virtually impossible to find, little to wonder why.
    Last edited by 37818; 04-04-2015, 12:13 PM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Is this a spoof?

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      The book documents that coal and oil having being carbon dated. While the accuracy had question marks. They were every one under 40,000 years. About 30,000 and under.
      That's not surprising, considering carbon dating isn't normally reliable beyond 50,000 years. Does it even work very well on coal? It's mainly used to test organic materials.

Out of curiosity... is there some point to this thread?
      Last edited by Yttrium; 04-04-2015, 01:01 PM.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

I have had the book in my hands. It was a library book. That Pomona library has since been closed.

Nothing to indicate millions of years. This book is virtually impossible to find, little to wonder why.
        I don't wonder he'd get ages in those ranges, the C-14 would be mostly gone by that point. Anything remaining would probably come from other decay lines of trace elements, giving a dubious age figure. Its rarely used to determine the date of anything older than six thousand years. And even there its with fairly large inaccuracies. It has a purpose mostly within human history, not paleontology and geology.

Now igneous rocks however have multiple independent radiometric datings, all giving long geographical periods, and allow us to determine the date of various geological stratas with reasonable accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          I think its an attempt at a slamdunk against the field of geology.

Comment

The mass of the earth is 5.9721986×10^27 grams. At 14 grams per mole of C-14 atom, and 6.022141×10^23 atoms per mole, if the entire earth were converted into C-14, there would be 2.568959×10^50 atoms of C-14 making up the entire planet. 1 million years / half-life of carbon-14 is 180 half-lives and 2^-180 = 6.5 × 10^-55, leaving us with 0.0001676 atoms of C-14 remaining.

Or, more briefly, after a million years, the last atom of C-14 in an Earth-sized sample of pure C-14 would be long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              I think its an attempt at a slamdunk against the field of geology.
              I remember some creationists coming to the bizarre conclusion that carbon dating is used to test the age of just about anything and everything. That was more than ten years ago. I suppose that could still be lingering in creationist circles, but it's awfully silly.
              Last edited by Yttrium; 04-04-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

i have had the book in my hands. It was a library book. That pomona library has since been closed.

april fool
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

At least 37818 is using a good source. Libby won a Nobel Prize for his work with radiocarbon dating.

Comment

That's not surprising, considering carbon dating isn't normally reliable beyond 50,000 years. Does it even work very well on coal? It's mainly used to test organic materials.

Yup. It is sort of like using one of those old handheld pocket postage scales that maxes out at around a quarter pound and using it to weigh a 16 lb. bowling ball and then announcing that it only weighs a quarter pound

Or taking a typical bathroom scale and using it to weigh your car and declaring that it only weighs about 300 lbs.

If you use the wrong tool to do this kind of job you should not be surprised if the result is not accurate. Sort of like the old adage about computers: Garbage In Garbage Out (GIGO).

Now, for those interested in how radiometric (isotropic) dating works, including radiocarbon dating, perhaps the best source available is Radiometric Dating: A Christian Perspective, by Roger Wiens, a Christian employed as a Techncial Staff Member in the Space and Atmospheric Science Division at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. It is written for laymen and easy to follow without talking down to the reader.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I remember some creationists coming to the bizarre conclusion that carbon dating is used to test the age of just about anything and everything. That was more than ten years ago. I suppose that could still be lingering in creationist circles, but it's awfully silly.
                      What is amusing is how quickly that they embrace radiocarbon dating when it verifies that the Dead Sea Scrolls are a couple thousand of years old or when it shows that various copies of Biblical texts come from the 3rd or 4th century Ad rather than the Medieval period as some fringe scholars claimed. But the moment that it shows that something is older than 6 or 10,000 years it morphs into a tool of the devil never to be trusted.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        What is amusing is how quickly that they embrace radiocarbon dating when it verifies that the Dead Sea Scrolls are a couple thousand of years old or when it shows that various copies of Biblical texts come from the 3rd or 4th century Ad rather than the Medieval period as some fringe scholars claimed. But the moment that it shows that something is older than 6 or 10,000 years it morphs into a tool of the devil never to be trusted.
                        Or the Hezekiah's tunnel.

Comment

At least 37818 is using a good source. Libby won a Nobel Prize for his work with radiocarbon dating.
                          Not really the proper application of the source regardless.
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

And, perhaps the greatest lesson here, is that we should refrain from posting topics about which we have no knowledge or expertise. Of course, that would quieten down Tweb even more.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                              And, perhaps the greatest lesson here, is that we should refrain from posting topics about which we have no knowledge or expertise. Of course, that would quieten down Tweb even more.
                              "And the people bowed and prayed
                              To the neon god they made
                              And the sign flashed out its warning
                              In the words that it was forming
                              And the sign said, The words of the prophets are written
                              On the subway walls and tenement halls
                              And whispered in the sounds of silence"

Paul Simon -The Sound Of Silence

Frank

Comment