Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Kent Hovind: Looks like he'll remain in prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent Hovind: Looks like he'll remain in prison

Kent Hovind, the young earth creationist activist who was considered an embarrassment by the larger YEC groups[1] was slated to be released on August 10th of this year after serving a little over 8½ years of his 10 year sentence (those convicted in federal court often don't get released early) for 58 counts of tax evasion and "corruptly endeavoring to obstruct and impede the administration of the internal revenue laws" (all charges).

It doesn't look like it will happen though.

In 2014 Hovind and one Paul Hansen (a Nebraska man known for his vigorous opposition of government tax and property laws) were indicted by a a federal grand jury and charged with mail fraud, conspiracy to commit mail fraud and criminal contempt for interfering with the sale of Pensacola properties Hovind was forced to forfeit as a result of his earlier conviction. Earlier this month the jury convicted Hovind and Hansen of the contempt charge but were deadlocked on the other charges.

In that respect Hovind is very lucky since mail fraud can be punishable by up to 20 years in prison and as much as $500,000 in fines.

Anyway, as a result I think it will be highly unlikely that Hovind will be released on his scheduled release date. At the very least he'll likely serve his full 10 years and very possibly get a couple years tacked on.

Since Hovind has not been exactly regarded as a model prisoner, repeatedly violating prison rules and getting in trouble with the prison's chaplain (in 2011 he was transferred to the Administrative Maximum Facility (ADX) -- the federal supermax prison for male inmates located in Fremont County, Colorado and designed for prisoners that need "supervision"), he might be facing a stiff sentence as a result.

We'll know on June 12, 2015 when the judge passes sentence.

Here is a supporter of Hovind who has done a series of videos in support of the one he calls "Dr." Hovind[2] complaining that he wasn't tried by his peers (fellow YECs). Hat tip to Promethean at CARM for the video.

I wonder if he thinks that the Ft. Hood shooter, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, should only be judged by fellow Islamic jihadists? The same goes for the Boston Marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who is currently standing trial.

In any case this guy even denies that Hovind was guilty of tax evasion, something that even the local Hovind apologist (Jorge) does not deny.

1. AnswersinGenesis (AiG), Creation Ministries International (CMI), and CreationWiki all have webpages called "Arguments we think creationists should NOT use" or something similar that in large part encourage their followers to not use a number of the more silly claims promoted by Hovind. This is a link to the page at CMI. AiG recently revamped their section dropping several of them apparently because they feel they are rarely used any more (they are obviously not familiar with internet debate/discussion forums).

2. An illustrious graduate from that esteemed institute of higher learning, Patriot University (a notorious diploma mill)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

So that is what happened to Magellan2004. He is really Hovind and has been in jail.

Comment

I just mentioned him yesterday as a bad example of how to do apologetics.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

From Forbes today:

Source: Kent Hovind Will Face A New Trial

Independent Baptist Minister and Young Earth Creationist, Kent Hovind, nearing the end of a long prison sentence for tax related crimes, was tried on new charges earlier this month. He and his co-defendant Paul John Hansen were charged with contempt of court, fraud and conspiracy because of filings that they made affecting property seized by the government. The seizures related to Hovind’s earlier conviction. The jury found Hovind and Hansen guilty of contempt, but was unable to reach a verdict on the more serious fraud and conspiracy charges. Today federal prosecutor Tiffany Eggers has filed notice that the Government intends to proceed to retrial on the charges that the previous jury did not reach a verdict on.

Kent Hovind had warned his supporters earlier this week that a retrial was likely.

Hovind’s supporters have waged a vigorous social media campaign documented at their flagship website #FreeKent. On Monday, Kent had a long sought after interview with Alex Jones of InfoWars.

The depth of Hovind’s support is somewhat questionable. Despite many appeals they were not able to put a lot of “boots on the ground” in Pensacola during the last trial and when it comes to the thriving church community in Pensacola, Kent Hovind appears to be a prophet with no honor in his own country. A full pardon petition on We the People has gathered 683 signatures in the week that it has been up.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Here is the interview that was mentioned (which starts almost 22 minutes into the clip although he talks about Hovind about 18 minutes before that).

The new trial has been scheduled to start May 18th, a little less than a month before Hovind and Hansen are to be sentenced for contempt.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh, the comedy!?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            So that is what happened to Magellan2004. He is really Hovind and has been in jail.
            That's what happens when you get caught trying to sneak electromagnets into Australia where they are illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              That's what happens when you get caught trying to sneak electromagnets into Australia where they are illegal.

Comment

But how else would he get horses to grow two longer legs on one side? Or was it cows?

Comment

It was definitely horses (or was it? ).
                  "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

I highly doubt it was the Hovind in jail. Did his son visit the forums regularly?

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                      It was definitely horses (or was it? ).
                      Horses. I still have a copy of the illustration that he posted in my files and will post it when I get home tonight/tomorrow morning if I remember.

Comment

Horses. I still have a copy of the illustration that he posted in my files and will post it when I get home tonight/tomorrow morning if I remember.
                        Magellan HorseMutation1.jpg
                        Note how he depicts my horse with all of the legs lengthening simultaneously whereas his horse has one leg lengthening at a time

Comment

Kent Hovind, the young earth creationist activist who was considered an embarrassment by the larger YEC groups[1] was slated to be released on August 10th of this year after serving a little over 8½ years of his 10 year sentence (those convicted in federal court often don't get released early) for 58 counts of tax evasion and "corruptly endeavoring to obstruct and impede the administration of the internal revenue laws" (all charges).

It doesn't look like it will happen though.

In 2014 Hovind and one Paul Hansen (a Nebraska man known for his vigorous opposition of government tax and property laws) were indicted by a a federal grand jury and charged with mail fraud, conspiracy to commit mail fraud and criminal contempt for interfering with the sale of Pensacola properties Hovind was forced to forfeit as a result of his earlier conviction. Earlier this month the jury convicted Hovind and Hansen of the contempt charge but were deadlocked on the other charges.

In that respect Hovind is very lucky since mail fraud can be punishable by up to 20 years in prison and as much as $500,000 in fines.

Anyway, as a result I think it will be highly unlikely that Hovind will be released on his scheduled release date. At the very least he'll likely serve his full 10 years and very possibly get a couple years tacked on.

Since Hovind has not been exactly regarded as a model prisoner, repeatedly violating prison rules and getting in trouble with the prison's chaplain (in 2011 he was transferred to the Administrative Maximum Facility (ADX) -- the federal supermax prison for male inmates located in Fremont County, Colorado and designed for prisoners that need "supervision"), he might be facing a stiff sentence as a result.

We'll know on June 12, 2015 when the judge passes sentence.

Here is a supporter of Hovind who has done a series of videos in support of the one he calls "Dr." Hovind[2] complaining that he wasn't tried by his peers (fellow YECs). Hat tip to Promethean at CARM for the video.

I wonder if he thinks that the Ft. Hood shooter, Major Nidal Malik Hasan, should only be judged by fellow Islamic jihadists? The same goes for the Boston Marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who is currently standing trial.

In any case this guy even denies that Hovind was guilty of tax evasion, something that even the local Hovind apologist (Jorge) does not deny.

1. AnswersinGenesis (AiG), Creation Ministries International (CMI), and CreationWiki all have webpages called "Arguments we think creationists should NOT use" or something similar that in large part encourage their followers to not use a number of the more silly claims promoted by Hovind. This is a link to the page at CMI. AiG recently revamped their section dropping several of them apparently because they feel they are rarely used any more (they are obviously not familiar with internet debate/discussion forums).

2. An illustrious graduate from that esteemed institute of higher learning, Patriot University (a notorious diploma mill)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4752[/ATTACH]
                          I have supplied many posts over the past 8+ years (most of them vanished with the old TWeb files) regarding the travesty of "justice" that was performed on my friend Kent Hovind. In other words, you cannot plead "ignorance" because I've corrected you in that area yet you insist on continuing, even dropping your already-low ethics to the point of once again posting a shot of "Patriot University". Instead of shutting your mouth you continue attacking a man whose left pinky is more of a Christian than you'll likely ever be.

That Kent "broke the law" is not in dispute; that the matter was handled without true justice is the real issue. But the way that it was handled was to be expected since the "authorities" had been after Kent for a very long time because he represented a real threat to them. Why? Because, with a large audience, he told and spread many truths that the criminals that are running this country don't want told.

But you wouldn't understand any of this nor do you want to understand. Instead, you prefer to spew your venom against a person with whom many would gladly walk a hundred miles before they'd accompany the likes of you to the nearest corner.

I'll ask you once again: find out the whole truth and remain quiet until you do. Talk to the Hovind family - get it straight from the source instead of from vermin like PZ Myers, TalkOrigins or the Infidels websites. Try ONCE to behave as if you had some integrity.

Lastly, from some of the other posts here, you are far from being alone in your underhanded, un-Christian-like tactics. From the non-Christians here that is to be expected. But I'd strongly advise you to do some thinking and prayer before you continue such attacks.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                            I have supplied many posts over the past 8+ years (most of them vanished with the old TWeb files) regarding the travesty of "justice" that was performed on my friend Kent Hovind.
                            Since when is being punished for your crimes a travesty of justice?

In other words, you cannot plead "ignorance" because I've corrected you in that area yet you insist on continuing, even dropping your already-low ethics to the point of once again posting a shot of "Patriot University". Instead of shutting your mouth you continue attacking a man whose left pinky is more of a Christian than you'll likely ever be.
                            Er, as a Christian, he lied about his credientials... isn't that breaking a commandment?

That Kent "broke the law" is not in dispute; that the matter was handled without true justice is the real issue. But the way that it was handled was to be expected since the "authorities" had been after Kent for a very long time because he represented a real threat to them. Why? Because, with a large audience, he told and spread many truths that the criminals that are running this country don't want told.
                            Wow, er, do you have any proof for your assertions?

I'll ask you once again: find out the whole truth and remain quiet until you do. Talk to the Hovind family - get it straight from the source instead of from vermin like PZ Myers, TalkOrigins or the Infidels websites. Try ONCE to behave as if you had some integrity.
                            Er, as a family member, wouldn't they be giving a equally biased account of what happened?
                            ~~~~
                            John
                            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

Jorge, speaking as a YEC, I am of the opinion that over the years Hovind has probably done more to discredit the YEC position than any skeptic has.

The majority of his arguments feature on CMI's "Do Not Use These Arguments" list.
                              http://creation.com/arguments-we-thi...should-not-use
                              http://creation.com/moving-forward
                              http://creation.com/maintaining-crea...to-kent-hovind
                              His "doctorate" is completely bogus, and not worth the paper it is printed on.
                              He insists on using the work of Ron Wyatt (which has been thoroughly discredited by CMI researchers).
                              He broke the law on tax grounds (actively knowing what he was doing).
                              He pushed whacky theories about the American social security programme and gave advice to people that I understand would be against the law.
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment