Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Progress in origin of life research - RNA world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Try reading carefully.
    Please read carefully and cite specifically.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

You lie.

I don't need to provide qualifications to make statements supported by scientific literature.

But go on, keep trying to disqualify. Expose your desperation.
      Air ball!!!! I will assume you have none and ranting based on a religious agenda.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Why would so much research be conducted if the site of abiogenesis is established? The implication is very clear.

Since you don't clarify which scenario I'll try to be as general:

This paper critically evaluates various RNA world scenarios. I quote some relevant points:

4.1. Problem 1: the primitive formation of RNA proceeds only under specific conditions

The RNA world hypothesis has been experimentally verified on the basis of different principles. However, further critiques from different viewpoints are also valuable for improving the studies on origin of life as well as the RNA world hypothesis.

Data from simulation experiments for the chemical evolution of RNA indicted that the formation pathways of RNA polymers are through activated nucleotide monomers and inorganic materials (Tables 2and 3). However, some questions remain. First, it is difficult to determine whether the initial conditions are comparable to primitive earth environments. Second, it is not yet clear whether the efficiency of each chemical evolution step is sufficient for usage in later steps, such as the formation of long oligonucleotides. For instance, the yield of ribose formation is considered too low for it to be a source of RNA components [35] and [36]. In addition, the formation of nucleotides from their components seems to be difficult except for under very limited conditions; these investigations were only carried out in very early studies. Thus, the experimental conditions are regarded as plausible primitive earth conditions. It is difficult to determine the exact amount or concentration of ribose necessary for the formation of nucleosides; this evaluation has not yet been carried out. Similar questions can be asked for proteins. Verification of the initial conditions, where the RNA polymers could have formed, would be important for the evaluation of the accumulation of RNA or RNA-like molecules.

Those proposing ocean scenarios (or most scenarios in general) cannot verify the initial conditions, which was necessary in the experiments they report. Now without such empirical proof, all we have to fall on is the very well known difficulties and hence unlikely reactions involved in forming RNA, especially macromolecule formation.

The accumulation of RNA is determined by both the rate of its formation and its degradation, and the flow rate of inflow and outflow to the system (Fig. 7) [28] and [83]. This is important since a life-like system emerged in a thermodynamically open system. However, it is noted that the importance of the relative rates of the formation and degradation is not appropriately studied. For instance, if the relative rate between formation and degradation is similar between the two different systems, the accumulation behavior as a function of time becomes analogous between these systems.

An experimental setup that simulates an open system of RNA chemical evolution is currently difficult. Mathematical simulations cannot be properly performed, since kinetic data are not sufficiently available for the formation and degradation of activated nucleotide monomers and product oligonucleotides. Thus, the discussion about the assumption that under the primitive earth conditions, proteins are more likely to accumulate compared to the RNA molecules is not meaningful even if one attempts to assume whether RNA or protein is suitable as the first material for the life-like system based on the stabilities of the molecules.

So much is still unknown, as above.

4.3. Problem 3: In vitro selection for functional RNA requires molecular biology techniques. were there such effective selection mechanisms for the RNA-based life-like system?

In vitro selection of RNA involves analogous processes to the real evolution of organisms. However, this method consists of totally artificial materials and procedures such as a DNA synthesizer, in vitro transcription of DNA to RNA, affinity column chromatography, which binds target RNA, and reverse-transcription PCR ( Fig. 5). The question is whether such an evolutionary system was present under the primitive earth environment. Although this should be experimentally verified, such attempts have not been successful.

In sum, to the best of our knowledge there is no natural mechanism for sorting through useless and [life-]functional RNA. Without such a mechanism, the rise of life would be quite unlikely.

And so on and so forth; you can read the rest at the link.

Now, do note that I don't plan to give any more references unless a) you can provide any reference that supports your own position - that the ocean regions, particularly the mid-ocean ridge are in any way likely for abiogenesis, which you haven't up to this point and b) you can refute what this paper has brought up.
        A discussion of the problems does not in any way justify your 'religious agenda' claims on the 'unlikely' issues your asserting without references.

The references refer to likely locations and environments, possible problems that need to be addressed in future research, and the search of possibly more. Your 'unlikely,' and other bogus uncertainties are a smoke screen for a religious agenda.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-23-2015, 12:57 PM.

Frank

Comment