Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Scientists Take DNA Sample From Woolly Mammoth Leg for Cloning Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists Take DNA Sample From Woolly Mammoth Leg for Cloning Project

Source: NBC News

A group of Russian and South Korean researchers has begun their attempt to clone a woolly mammoth, starting by extracting DNA from a spectacularly well-preserved specimen discovered in the Siberian permafrot in 2013. The project is led by Hwang Woo-Suk, a Korean cloning scientist who was the focus of a scandal in 2006 involving fraudulent research on human stem cells. Hwang has had success with animals, however, reportedly creating the world's first cloned dog and several cloned coyotes.

The research team, from the Sooam Biotech Research Foundation and Russia's North-Eastern Federal University, began this week to extract DNA from the leg of the long-frozen animal. The news was reported by the university and the Siberian Times.

"We take samples of bone marrow —it is one of the best materials for DNA analysis," explained Semyon Grigoriev, director of the Mammoth Museum in Yakutsk, where scientists gathered this week to examine the remains. "If the samples are good then our coordinated work, I think, will allow in a year or two to decipher the world's first nuclear genome of the mammoth," he continued.

If no complete cells can be found to resuscitate, mapping the genome is a critical step in the process of cloning the long-extinct animal by creating an artificial cell nucleus. It is, however, nowhere near the end of potential difficulties for the ambitious program — the reconstructed DNA would have to be successfully transplanted in a living elephant embryo and carried to term.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Because I always wanted to ride one.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Are you pulling our leg?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Are you pulling our leg?

I see what you did there.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Are you pulling our leg?

Nah, he's pulling the wool over our eyes.

Comment

We need mutant cyborg clone woolly mammoths for the next stage of military development. Sure, they'd be rubbish in the desert, but they'll be an invaluable asset in an assault against Canada. Siberia. I meant Siberia.
          Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Carthage just wants another go at Rome...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Carthage just wants another go at Rome...
              except they would never get past the regulations for import of live animal now days.
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                except they would never get past the regulations for import of live animal now days.
                No one said it was a good plan...
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

This will indeed be a mammoth undertaking

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                    We need mutant cyborg clone woolly mammoths for the next stage of military development. Sure, they'd be rubbish in the desert, but they'll be an invaluable asset in an assault against Canada. Siberia. I meant Siberia.
                    Canuckista... I mean Siberia, yeah, SIBERIA, here we come!

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

tumblr_m3bb78QZrJ1qj7g7io1_500.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]4783[/ATTACH]
                        *Puts nerd hat on*

Those aren't mammoths but could be related to the Gomphotherium, an extinct genus of proboscid which had four tusks (two attached to the upper jaw, two to the lower). Except that Gomphotherium's tusks were relatively straight with the lower pair being relatively shovel-shaped. They also weren't some 30 to 40' tall at the shoulder.

Of course the mammoths in my gif are at least twice their actual size. But that's what you get when rogue tech gets involved

*Removes nerd hat*
                        Last edited by rogue06; 03-21-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

The dignified mastodon is ignored once again.
                          "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment