Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Evolutionists at it again ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phank View Post
    Ah, it's Mr. Tolerance again. Just tired of people whose views differ from yours.

You are so freekin sensitive to what you see as insults to your imaginary god that you consistently toss the baby and attack the bathwater.

Clue: This is the natural science form. Gods play no role in natural science. If you wish to discuss the science, ignore the gods for once and discuss the science.
    Thanks for so clear an example of what I am talking about. For examples of how not to be a jerk, take a gander at Roy, or Roland, or Rogue, to name a few.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Clue: This is the natural science form. Gods play no role in natural science. If you wish to discuss the science, ignore the gods for once and discuss the science.
      This is the natural science forum on a site called "theologyweb". Posts about the interaction between science and belief in God are entirely on topic here.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Thanks for so clear an example of what I am talking about. For examples of how not to be a jerk, take a gander at Roy, or Roland, or Rogue, to name a few.

Jim
        Ironic, considering that I was responding to a perfect example of what I was talking about.

For an example of how not to be a preacher, Roy and Roland are very good.

Comment

Originally posted by sfs1 View Post
          This is the natural science forum on a site called "theologyweb". Posts about the interaction between science and belief in God are entirely on topic here.
          Yes, I agree. The intereaction is interesting, and definitely worth discussing. But taking one's god for granted and working from there is much like taking science as infallible and working from there. Posts that basically say "here is my god's opinion" aren't "about the intereaction between science and belief". They are statements of faith.

Your mileage may vary, but I see a qualitative difference between "here is what the evidence suggests is happening" and "here is how my god does things." Notice that even your pious preaching, you take your particular god as a given, and do not even consider any of the thousands of others. Your very semantics PRESUMES the existence of your god. That's not discussion.

But I understand what you are saying, intentionally or not: If you ain't a member of this particular choir, you have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

Comment

But I understand what you are saying, intentionally or not: If you ain't a member of this particular choir, you have nothing worthwhile to contribute.
            Does anybody other than Jorge actually believe this?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yes, I agree. The intereaction is interesting, and definitely worth discussing. But taking one's god for granted and working from there is much like taking science as infallible and working from there. Posts that basically say "here is my god's opinion" aren't "about the intereaction between science and belief". They are statements of faith.
              True. Relevance? I responded to a statement of yours that seemed to suggest that the introduction of God was inappropriate to discussion in this forum.

Your mileage may vary, but I see a qualitative difference between "here is what the evidence suggests is happening" and "here is how my god does things." Notice that even your pious preaching, you take your particular god as a given, and do not even consider any of the thousands of others. Your very semantics PRESUMES the existence of your god. That's not discussion.
              I did no preaching, pious or otherwise, in my post, and in fact cannot recall ever doing any preaching of any kind here. Likewise, my semantics revealed nothing at all about my own beliefs about God; the two sentences I wrote could have been written by a Christian or a Buddhist, a theist or an atheist.

Might I suggest that your interpretive powers are a little lacking here? I responded in measured terms to a single statement of yours that seemed to reflect a misunderstanding of the purpose of this forum. Your completely over-the-top response has little connection to what I actually wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                For examples of how not to be a jerk, take a gander at Roy, or Roland, or Rogue, to name a few.
                Ah, Rogue's a dirty theist. He don't count.
                "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                  The idea was to give examples on both sides that understand how to communicate effectively without excessive rancor. My original post was looking for recognition of good people on both sides. So I provided examples of the same. Weighted in favor of non-theists so as to make clear this is not an issue of theist vs non-theist, but simply an issue of overall character independent of religious persuasion.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Ironic, considering that I was responding to a perfect example of what I was talking about.

For an example of how not to be a preacher, Roy and Roland are very good.
                    I'm not a preacher - you just don't like being called on your rude manner. There is no reason on the face of the earth you have to be rude. You just are. Just as Jorge is. And it is unpleasant to interact with a rude person - no matter who one is. But I doubt you care, any more than Jorge does. Civilized discussion is, by all evidence, not valued by you or him.

And that is all I have to say on the subject. So enjoy your one last nasty little retort on this particular exchange. You can only be what you are.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                      One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, more than ten. See I can counts.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        I don't think the "other guys" are villains or anything like that. I've not said word one about them being evil/sneaky. I just don't think they care. It's a 'good enough' answer, and that's all they need. There's nothing dishonest about that, but it's not anything anyone should take seriously, either.
                        At one time, I imagined if you went high enough up the creationism feeding chain, you'd find someone being deliberately dishonest, but it turns out Orwell was prescient: The higher the position, the more fervent the belief that "Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia."

Comment