Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why didn't "Darwinists" posit trillions or quadrillions vs. billions of years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't "Darwinists" posit trillions or quadrillions vs. billions of years?

The question in the thread title is clear.

I put "Darwinists" in scare quotes since that's one of the man pejoratives used by anti-evolutionists.

YECs claim that "billions" are made up out of whole cloth so that nature fits a "Darwinist" paradigm.

So why billions and not trillions?

K54

Evolutionists are inherently lazy and billions is one less letter to write than trillion and several less than quadrillion.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Evolutionists are inherently lazy and billions is one less letter to write than trillion and several less than quadrillion.
      tl/dr

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
        tl/dr
        That's just a short attention span not laziness

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Heck, why not say the universe is googolplex years old? Googolplex is the largest number with a name, after all -- may as well go for the gusto.
          "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

As Jorge will be happy to tell you, evolutionists aren't very bright. They just couldn't count that high.

Comment

About 3 years after Origin of Species was published, Lord Kelvin calculated the age of the earth at 20 to 400 million years. Darwin was quite upset by this, because Kelvin was a world reknowned physicist, and because that was nowhere near enough time for Darwin's evolutionary model to have much effect. After all, 20 million years is an evolutionary eyeblink. Darwin firmly believed the earth to be far far older, but was unable to point to any error in Kelvin's calculations. Darwin died before radioactive heating was discovered.

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                Heck, why not say the universe is googolplex years old? Googolplex is the largest number with a name, after all -- may as well go for the gusto.

I suppose 100,000 years would have sufficed as well.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                  What about a bajillion gazillion? That's just one number less than infinity.

And then there is a bajillion gazillion times infinity which can only be beat by infinity times infinity.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    What about a bajillion gazillion? That's just one number less than infinity.

And then there is a bajillion gazillion times infinity which can only be beat by infinity times infinity.
                    I read an interesting article about Graham's number the other day that kind of blew my mind.

Edit: some language in the linked article.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      I read an interesting article about Graham's number the other day that kind of blew my mind.

Edit: some language in the linked article.
                      I've written about Graham's number on my blog, before, but I gotta say, that's a better breakdown than mine. Certainly more readable.

The absolute craziest thing about Graham's number, though, is that it is still infinitesimally small in comparison to any unlimited Hyperreal number. Holy crap, I love math...
                      "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                      --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

The age of the universe is realistically falsifiable in terms of billions of years. Ah . . . it is the very real problem of our national debt that may be envisioned as trillions and quadrillions of dollars.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                          I've written about Graham's number on my blog, before, but I gotta say, that's a better breakdown than mine. Certainly more readable.

The absolute craziest thing about Graham's number, though, is that it is still infinitesimally small in comparison to any unlimited Hyperreal number. Holy crap, I love math...
                          The idea that I didn't even have the means necessary to represent the number, let alone even approach comprehending it, is still really blowing me away. Iterated exponentiation is a cool concept.
                          Last edited by Zymologist; 02-22-2015, 01:51 PM.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Holy crap, I love math...
                            In my eyes, math is like an evil god. I hate it, yet I'm in awe of its power nevertheless.
                            "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

... though, is that it is still infinitesimally small in comparison to any unlimited Hyperreal number.
                              "Graham's number" has a nicer ring to it than does "Boxing Pythagoras' number".

Comment