Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Manifesto for a Post-Materialistic Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    WOW, what scholarly input! I'm dazzled and floored by the brilliance!

Stay away, Duffus!

Jorge
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post162280

Comment

Seems pretty obvious to me what these jokers mean.

A POST-Materialism paradigm refers to a paradigm for replacing the present (essentially) purely Materialistic paradigm --- you know, the present paradigm that many here at TWeb have fought against me tooth-n-nail ... the present paradigm that many here at TWeb deny exists... the present paradigm that is a mixture of good science with bad religion and then dressed up to be "ALL SCIENCE" ... the present paradigm that greases the path to deny Biblical Christianity/Creationism --- THAT paradigm.

Methodological Materialism/Naturalism is merely a watered-down version, the operational version of the full-blown Ontological Materialism/Naturalism. Not that I'm expecting any agreement in this crowd.

Jorge
      You still didn't define Post-Materialism. And it's not obvious to me.

The rest of your post is a diatribe against methodological naturalism/materialism, which is the way scientific method works. It's neutral with respect to the supernatural.

Do you have an alternative to Mn/m that would still be consider "science"?

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
        You still didn't define Post-Materialism.

K54
        He doesn't understand what a definition is. So in Jorge's absence, the best I could find was:-

Fence post

Comment

Well, if the manifesto is advocating some sort of non-physical designer, then Jorge should be all for it.

K54

Comment

So you found a few errors - big deal! I stopped counting after 50.
            Most people would have abandoned it after many less than that, and not wasted more of their time than necessry. For example:

Besides, you failed to note the big tamale: these jokers remain subscribed to Materialism, only that they want to replace Total Materialism with a mix of Materialism and New Age Voodoo.
            No, they don't remain subscribed to materialism. They want to introduce non-material concepts: "Post-materialist science ... seeks to expand the human capacity to better understand the wonders of nature, and in the process rediscover the importance of mind and spirit..." Error #1.

And just think, they all have PhD's from "accredited" institutions.
            One of them has an MD, not a PhD. Error #2. Anyway, having a PhD from an accredited institution doesn't make some-one correct, let alone infallible - not that you'd know anything about that. Error #3.

BTW, did ya ever recover from the evidence that I provided showing that "survival of the fittest" has indeed been used (and continues) to explain/justify homosexuality?
            You did no such thing. You posted something you found via Google, lied about your own words, and vanished in a puff of fouled feathers.

Roy
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
              He doesn't understand what a definition is. So in Jorge's absence, the best I could find was:-

Fence post
              As in "dumb as a..."

Comment

As in "dumb as a..."
                Sort of. But not quite in that way.

There are a number of posters around the traps who try the following nonsense (as one of several examples):-

1) Evolution is (only) about random mutation.

2) Evolution is not science because you were not there to observe.

So I tell them what is wrong with either argument, and they scoot off without responding, only to return weeks or months later and repeat the same crap.

After I while I would consider that educating them is like talking to a fence post and hoping the message will sink into that lump of wood. So these days, whenever I say to a friend or family member that I've been "talking to the fence posts", they know what I mean.

(And believe it or not, on another forum a poster (Poster 2) tried this little ripper -

Poster 1:-
                Even a pre-scientific culture knew that if you cut into bones you found blood.

Poster 2
                Where does it say that Adam had blood? Blood is not mentioned until after they were removed from the garden and were living under the curse.

I mean, just think about the consequences of such "logic". Based on Genesis, before the Fall, about the only features of Adam that are mentioned are eyes, mouth, nostrils, ribs, and face. So just what was Adam before the Fall? A head sitting on top of at least a rib or two? The rest of him was not there because the Bible makes no mention of it?

Fence post stuff.)
                Last edited by rwatts; 02-19-2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Like I said, "Dumb as a post" ...and "Might as well be talking to a post."

It's amazing how these idiots twist and add and subtract from scripture, doing exactly of what they accuse TEs.

K54

Comment

Poster 2
                    Where does it say that Adam had blood? Blood is not mentioned until after they were removed from the garden and were living under the curse.

I mean, just think about the consequences of such "logic". Based on Genesis, before the Fall, about the only features of Adam that are mentioned are eyes, mouth, nostrils, ribs, and face. So just what was Adam before the Fall? A head sitting on top of at least a rib or two?
                    "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

(And believe it or not, on another forum a poster (Poster 2) tried this little ripper -

Poster 2

I mean, just think about the consequences of such "logic". Based on Genesis, before the Fall, about the only features of Adam that are mentioned are eyes, mouth, nostrils, ribs, and face. So just what was Adam before the Fall? A head sitting on top of at least a rib or two? The rest of him was not there because the Bible makes no mention of it?

Fence post stuff.)
                      Good old nouveau (the poster in question that rwatts is referring to). Among other gems that he has delivered
                      • "Phrenology has been verified more than 100 times"
                      • "Heliocentrism was wrong"
                      • "Darwin killed 2 million Christians"
                      • "Hitler's son did the teaching programs to bring this to Germany. He brought this to support the eugenics packages."
                      • "Aluminum is an alloy"
                      • "Hemorrhagia is deadly disease" (no it just means heavy bleeding)
                      • "Pres. Reagan was shot in the head"
                      • "Darwin never used a microscope" (despite being shown several of them that are in museums
                      • "There are inorganic plants and animals"

And on and on. Moreover he will never admit to making a mistake and vigorously defend his errors (his attempts to defend the first one is classic).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                        Oh he's a real beaut. Tries to pass himself as a
                        • super-scientist (who has "degrees in more fields than any combination of 3 [other scientists] put together")
                        • surgeon who preforms kidney transplants, neurosurgery, cardiac surgery, spinal/pelvic surgery, plastic surgery (where he performs "mammalplasties"), and perform "aproxiamtely [sic] 400 circumcisions a week at [his] clinic."
                        • psychologist (who declared "Phrenology has been verified more than 100 times")
                        • published economist (who once was an adviser to the Finance Minister of Iran)
                        • CPA
                        • uber-businessman who started and ran Fortune 500 businesses and at least two banks
                        • farmer with the biggest organic farm in either Texas or the entire U.S.
                        • university professor
                        • geologist (who talked about gall stones forming in caves)
                        • FORTRAN programmer
                        • pilot
                        • trainer of Olympic athletes

And in his spare times he takes the yacht that he owns and captains to races all over the world where he sails "in speeds of over 30 knots/hr on liquid and 40 knots on solid." For the captain of a yacht to say he sails at "speeds of over 30 knots/hr" is like a NASCAR driver saying that he drives at 200 mph/hr. And I'd really like to know what solids he sails his yacht on.

And oh yeah, loves to prance about thumping his chest repeatedly anointing himself "God's favorite saint" and saying things like "if [God] had a fridge, He would have my picture on the door"
                        Last edited by rogue06; 02-20-2015, 04:11 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Good old nouveau (the poster in question that rwatts is referring to). Among other gems that he has delivered
                          • "Phrenology has been verified more than 100 times"
                          • "Heliocentrism was wrong"
                          • "Darwin killed 2 million Christians"
                          • "Hitler's son did the teaching programs to bring this to Germany. He brought this to support the eugenics packages."
                          • "Aluminum is an alloy"
                          • "Hemorrhagia is deadly disease" (no it just means heavy bleeding)
                          • "Pres. Reagan was shot in the head"
                          • "Darwin never used a microscope" (despite being shown several of them that are in museums
                          • "There are inorganic plants and animals"

And on and on. Moreover he will never admit to making a mistake and vigorously defend his errors (his attempts to defend the first one is classic).
                          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Oh he's a real beaut. Tries to pass himself as a
                          • super-scientist (who has "degrees in more fields than any combination of 3 [other scientists] put together")
                          • surgeon who preforms kidney transplants, neurosurgery, cardiac surgery, spinal/pelvic surgery, plastic surgery (where he performs "mammalplasties"), and perform "aproxiamtely [sic] 400 circumcisions a week at [his] clinic."
                          • psychologist (who declared "Phrenology has been verified more than 100 times")
                          • published economist (who once was an adviser to the Finance Minister of Iran)
                          • CPA
                          • uber-businessman who started and ran Fortune 500 businesses and at least two banks
                          • farmer with the biggest organic farm in either Texas or the entire U.S.
                          • university professor
                          • geologist (who talked about gall stones forming in caves)
                          • FORTRAN programmer
                          • pilot
                          • trainer of Olympic athletes

And in his spare times he takes the yacht that he owns and captains to races all over the world where he sails "in speeds of over 30 knots/hr on liquid and 40 knots on solid." For the captain of a yacht to say he sails at "speeds of over 30 knots/hr" is like a NASCAR driver saying that he drives at 200 mph/hr. And I'd really like to know what solids he sails his yacht on.

And oh yeah, loves to prance about thumping his chest repeatedly anointing himself "God's favorite saint" and saying things like "if [God] had a fridge, He would have my picture on the door"
                          I could be wrong, but that sounds like the textbook example of a troll to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            I could be wrong, but that sounds like the textbook example of a troll to me.
                            Or a Poe. But he has posted well over 80,000 times averaging 55+ posts per day and is heavily protected by the forum where he posts (a Christian website). Those that point out his, um, inconsistencies often have their posts moderated. I was told via email by the site Administrator that "truth is not a defense."
                            Last edited by rogue06; 02-20-2015, 07:35 AM.

Comment

You still didn't define Post-Materialism. And it's not obvious to me.

The rest of your post is a diatribe against methodological naturalism/materialism, which is the way scientific method works. It's neutral with respect to the supernatural.

Do you have an alternative to Mn/m that would still be consider "science"?

K54
                              Oh come on, even you can't be that ignorant and stupid!

Hmmm, wait a sec ... let me think about that some more ......................

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                Most people would have abandoned it after many less than that, and not wasted more of their time than necessry. For example:

No, they don't remain subscribed to materialism. They want to introduce non-material concepts: "Post-materialist science ... seeks to expand the human capacity to better understand the wonders of nature, and in the process rediscover the importance of mind and spirit..." Error #1.

One of them has an MD, not a PhD. Error #2. Anyway, having a PhD from an accredited institution doesn't make some-one correct, let alone infallible - not that you'd know anything about that. Error #3.

You did no such thing. You posted something you found via Google, lied about your own words, and vanished in a puff of fouled feathers.

Roy
                                I kind'a suspected that I was given you wayyyyyyy too much credit.

My suspicions have now been confirmed.

Jorge

Comment