Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Intelligent Design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I mean really Boxing, isn't this exactly what the Nazi's did - to invent a new social meme based on Norse mythology?
    No. Some Nazis attempted to find ways to support the fascist state by drawing ties to pre-Christian mythologies. The Nazis also heavily utilized the works of Martin Luther in order to spread anti-Semitism and fuel nationalism, but I assume you don't see this as an indictment of all Protestantism, right?
    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      YECs like Jorge suffer from no such restriction. They can propose a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g ... period.

Pearls that glow like light-bulbs without requiring an energy source. Trees growing on the ocean surface. Vegetarian vampire bats. Invisible seas in the sky. Earth existing within a black hole. Continents moving faster than speedboats. Vertical holes in floodwaters. Dinosaurs at the battle of Bosworth Field. UFOs are piloted by Satan's minions. If your name is written in capital letters it doesn't refer to you.

If YECs had remained within the realm of physical laws maybe they wouldn't look so ridiculous.

Roy
      There have indeed been some YECs that have proposed things that I would not agree with at all. So why are you citing some of these 'outlier' examples? ANSWER: because they help you to justify your agenda, that's why. Truth isn't your goal - defending your Materialistic Faith, that's your goal.

BTW, while I have your attention:

"Jorge: the DIRECT implications of the fundamental Evolutionary Principle of "survival of the fittest" may be, has been and will continue to be used as "scientific" justification for ... homosexual practices"

Didn't anyone ever explain to you that taking words out of their full context is unethical? Yes, of course you've heard that before. Here's the thing: laws are only obeyed by law-abiding folk and you, Roy, aren't one of those. More specifically, vermin like you will break the law whenever they feel that they can get away with it.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
        No. Some Nazis attempted to find ways to support the fascist state by drawing ties to pre-Christian mythologies. The Nazis also heavily utilized the works of Martin Luther in order to spread anti-Semitism and fuel nationalism, but I assume you don't see this as an indictment of all Protestantism, right?
        No Boxing they did not attempt to find support in those mythologies, they did find support and an identity. And where Luther strayed from New Testament teachings is of no concern to me. But I'm wondering what kind of moral law you gleaned from those Norse stories. Where does that lead you - ethically?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
          There have indeed been some YECs that have proposed things that I would not agree with at all. So why are you citing some of these 'outlier' examples? ANSWER: because they help you to justify your agenda, that's why.
          Actual answer: to highlight the hypocrisy of a creationist.

BTW, while I have your attention:

"Jorge: the DIRECT implications of the fundamental Evolutionary Principle of "survival of the fittest" may be, has been and will continue to be used as "scientific" justification for ... homosexual practices"

Didn't anyone ever explain to you that taking words out of their full context is unethical?
          Those words are not taken out of context. The original post is here. Jorge really was claiming that "survival of the fittest" had been used to justify homosexuality.
          Yes, of course you've heard that before. Here's the thing: laws are only obeyed by law-abiding folk and you, Roy, aren't one of those. More specifically, vermin like you will break the law whenever they feel that they can get away with it.
          Yesterday, Jorge objected to his posts being characterised as "name-calling" - but that's all the above is. Quoting his stupid and ignorant claims, whether in or out of context, is neither illegal nor verminous.

The only reason Jorge doesn't have double standards is that he doesn't have any standards at all.

Roy
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

No Boxing they did not attempt to find support in those mythologies, they did find support and an identity.
            To paraphrase your contention, where they strayed from the traditions of pre-Christian Heathenry is of no concern to me.

But I'm wondering what kind of moral law you gleaned from those Norse stories. Where does that lead you - ethically?
            They lead me to respect, hospitality, honor, duty, loyalty, strength, courage, and pride. Are you actually familiar with the Sagas and mythology of the Norse peoples?
            "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Actual answer: to highlight the hypocrisy of a creationist.
              "... hypocrisy of a creationist"?
              I'm surprised you didn't burst into flames when you wrote that.

Those words are not taken out of context. The original post is here. Jorge really was claiming that "survival of the fittest" had been used to justify homosexuality. Yesterday, Jorge objected to his posts being characterised as "name-calling" - but that's all the above is. Quoting his stupid and ignorant claims, whether in or out of context, is neither illegal nor verminous.
              Don't blame me if you're an arrogant ignoramus. Evolution / survival of the fittest / natural selection has indeed been used to justify homosexuality. You're just too willingly-ignorant and IQ-deficient to not be aware of the things that your Sacred Theory is used for. Or maybe you do know and are displaying yet more of your dishonesty.

Finding this below only took me about 5 minutes. If I searched for several hours I would find tons of material (I know because in years past I've run into this type of information many times).

Homosexual Evolution

"From the existence of homosexuality in nature and from its frequent taxonomic clustering (i.e. more closely related organisms display increasingly similar homosexual behavior) we can infer that homosexuality has evolved. But because no one has been able to observe the evolution of homosexuality first hand we can only theorize as to how it happened. Based on behavioral studies of homosexuality in humans and animals a number of models and explanations have been proposed for how this seemingly gene-stopping practice has evolved.

There are two main types of explanations for how and why homosexuality has evolved in animals: ...

Other possible explanations of how homosexuality could be advantageous ["advantageous" in an Evolutionary sense, i.e., confer an advantage a.k.a. a 'fittest' state for the species] include: Long term male-male and female-female homosexual relationships in primates such as Japanese macaques (Mehlman & Chapais, 1988), mountain gorillas (Yamagiwa, 1992), and gibbons (Edwards & Todd, 1991) result in lower stress and tension and/or better grooming for the individuals involved, all of which would positively influence an organism's health and prolong its chances for reproduction. [survival of the fittest, anyone?]

Homosexuality can also serve to make and maintain beneficial social alliances between individuals, such as in primates (Small, 1993, pg. 147) and gulls which typically mate for life but have lost a mate and need another one, even of the same gender, to safely raise their young (Davies, 1991). [again, an Evolutionary 'survival' advantage]

SOURCE: http://www.adherents.com/misc/paradoxEvolution.html

The only reason Jorge doesn't have double standards is that he doesn't have any standards at all.

Roy
              Wow - that is sooooooo clever.
              Pat yourself on the back and stick a gold star on your forehead.

Anyone with a picogram of integrity would remove the demonstrably false 'sig' that you presently display. I shan't be holding my breath.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                Don't blame me if you're an arrogant ignoramus. Evolution / survival of the fittest / natural selection has indeed been used to justify homosexuality.
                Then you should be able to provide an example where "survival of the fittest" is used to justify homosexual behaviour. Not acknowledge of explain the existence of, but justify; and preferrably among humans. The example you provided here doesn't even come close.

Alternatively, you could continue name-calling, which is easier but unconvincing.
                Anyone with a picogram of integrity would remove the demonstrably false 'sig' that you presently display.
                That is a lie, Jorge Fernandez, and you are a liar. The quote in my signature is not only not "false", but you just confirmed that you meant it.

Roy
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                  They lead me to respect, hospitality, honor, duty, loyalty, strength, courage, and pride. Are you actually familiar with the Sagas and mythology of the Norse peoples?
                  But why do you need or desire to understand Norse mythology embrace those attributes? And if memory serves the Norse peoples were also quite brutal.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

But why do you need or desire to understand Norse mythology embrace those attributes? And if memory serves the Norse peoples were also quite brutal.
                    It's sad. Christians hate it when non-believers use the atrocities committed by believers as a means to undermine their religion, but far too many are all too willing to pull the same number when another religion is placed under the spotlight.
                    Last edited by Duragizer; 02-14-2015, 09:48 PM.
                    "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                      It's sad. Christians hate it when non-believers use the atrocities committed by believers as a means to undermine their religion, but far too many are all too willing to pull the same number when another religion is placed under the spotlight.
                      ?
                      "believed" what?

doesn't sound like they believed Jesus Christ who said to leave people alone if they aren't interested

Matthew 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

....and that's not some isolated verse, its in the NT 3 times, besides Matthew , also in Mark6:11 and Luke 9:5

....just because somebody claims to be Christian, doesn't mean its so. Non-Christians are under no obligation to tell the truth, ....sheep in wolves' clothing
                      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
                        ?
                        "believed" what?

doesn't sound like they believed Jesus Christ who said to leave people alone if they aren't interested
                        So why don't you?
                        ....just because somebody claims to be Christian, doesn't mean its so.
                        Why shouldn't this be applied to you?

Roy

Comment

But why do you need or desire to understand Norse mythology embrace those attributes?
                          I certainly don't need to understand Norse mythology to embrace those attributes; however, I desire to understand Norse mythology while embracing those attributes because I have found them to contain a great deal of wisdom, in addition to being extremely interesting and entertaining.

And if memory serves the Norse peoples were also quite brutal.
                          What's your point? Christendom has more than its fair share of brutality, as well, as does the history of the Jewish peoples from whom Christianity was born.

Comment

Perhaps the brutal pillagers weren't true Norsemen.

Roy

Comment

?
                              "believed" what?

Matthew 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

....and that's not some isolated verse, its in the NT 3 times, besides Matthew , also in Mark6:11 and Luke 9:5

....just because somebody claims to be Christian, doesn't mean its so. Non-Christians are under no obligation to tell the truth, ....sheep in wolves' clothing
                              but of course....
                              ...the Bible doesn't say (or, I can't find it yet) what to do, when you have left a village, when you have shaken the dust from your feet from that village, IOW, when you 'put that village on ignore'...
                              what do you do when the village idiot chases after you yelling, "wait wait, I'm not finished telling you to leave me alone,"
                              To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Non-Christians are under no obligation to tell the truth
                                So I assume you've studied every major non-Christian religious text to ascertain that this is so?
                                "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment