Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Drink "driving" may soon be safe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink "driving" may soon be safe.

Well not exactly drink "driving", but rather drinking while the "driver" is being driven.

Driverless cars it seems are getting very close:-

http://www.nature.com/news/autonomou...quired-1.16832 *

A couple of years ago I heard a talk on this topic. The speaker was discussing the concept making traffic control much more efficient because vehicle computers could talk to each other, arranging the order by which cars went through roundabouts, as an example.

I imagined that one from the perspective of passengers in cars approaching a roundabout from four different directions at a speed of 100 kph. The talking computers could have the vehicles cross each other's paths within a thousandth of a second of hitting each other. Outsiders might find the view spectacular, watching all these streams of vehicles crossing each other's paths and missing by a bee's whisker. But for passengers inside the vehicles it would be terrifying.

Best to make these vehicles without windows.

* The comments are interesting too.
    Last edited by rwatts; 02-05-2015, 01:14 AM.

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
    Well not exactly drink "driving", but rather drinking while the "driver" is being driven.

http://www.nature.com/news/autonomou...quired-1.16832

A couple of years ago I heard a talk on this topic. The speaker was discussing the concept making traffic control much more efficient because vehicle computers could talk to each other, arranging the order by which cars went through roundabouts, as an example.

I imagined that one from the perspective of passengers in cars approaching a roundabout from four different directions at a speed of 100 kph. The talking computers could have the vehicles cross each other's paths within a thousandth of a second of hitting each other. Outsiders might find the view spectacular, watching all these streams of vehicles crossing each other's paths and missing by a bee's whisker. But for passengers inside the vehicles it would be terrifying.

I don't know, but it seems to me driverless vehichles without windows would be even more terrifying.

Comment

http://www.nature.com/news/autonomou...quired-1.16832 *

* The comments are interesting too.
      I am surprised this is going ahead so fast. It seems to me that manufacturers of "robot" cars are going to get sued every time one is involved in an accident. Even if they are confident their cars are not to blame, I cannot see any company wanting to get involved in lawsuits on a regular basis.
      My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
        I am surprised this is going ahead so fast. It seems to me that manufacturers of "robot" cars are going to get sued every time one is involved in an accident. Even if they are confident their cars are not to blame, I cannot see any company wanting to get involved in lawsuits on a regular basis.
        Erm, if the system has be trained to avoid accidents, it will be accurate majority of the time. Even then, it's better to have 2 robo-car accidents then 200 driveable car ones.
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

So the cars' computers can talk to each other and negotiate who goes first at intersections -- what about the drunk in a NON-driverless car - can they anticipate is NON-logical operation of the vehicle. It can't be assumed that all other cars on the road will be computer operated.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
            Erm, if the system has be trained to avoid accidents, it will be accurate majority of the time. Even then, it's better to have 2 robo-car accidents then 200 driveable car ones.
            Oh yes, it will be safer than a human driven car. Do you think that will stop people suing the car manufacturers?
            My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              So the cars' computers can talk to each other and negotiate who goes first at intersections -- what about the drunk in a NON-driverless car - can they anticipate is NON-logical operation of the vehicle. It can't be assumed that all other cars on the road will be computer operated.
              I think the challenge is actually the other way around, CP. Handling non-driverless cars is what the current driverless cars are already doing, exclusively. Negotiating with other driverless cars is the new, untried innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                I don't know of any but the smallest companies who aren't involved in lawsuits on a regular basis. Car companies regularly spend money covering liability in accidents due to poor engineering, defending against frivolous lawsuits, and paying for recalls. Conversely, as the proportion of driverless cars increases on the roadways, with a consequent drop in accident rates, I foresee human drivers placed under greater public pressure to conform and higher legal scrutiny.

Comment

I never had a problem drinking and driving! He is a story from back in the day. We were over a friends house playing the game "Pass Out." The last thing I remember we were going out for pizza. Three hours later I woke up with some one knocking on the window of my 64 Chevy Impala Super Sport. I looked up and there were two cops. The car was running and stopped in front of the police station at a stop light. I was in the back seat using a large pizza as a pillow. Of course there was no one else in the car and I had no idea how I got there. The cops didn't arrest me, they just followed me home ( I lived about three blocks away) - it was a different time. Perhaps I had an early version of one of these computer drive cars?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Still not a good idea. What if you hit a bump and spill your drink?
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Thus the need for drinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Still not a good idea. What if you hit a bump and spill your drink?
                          I've always pictured you with a whiskey sour in a children's sippy cup

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I've always pictured you with a whiskey sour in a children's sippy cup
                            Nah, those are bad for my teeth.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

What's "drink" driving???

K54

Comment