Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New evidence for anthropic theory that fundamental physics constants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Okay, I am getting out of my limited range of understanding, but . . .

When the article say's there are plenty of possibilities where the universe ends up with zero elements heavier than carbon it is speaking in terms of value possibilities. It is not saying that any of these values are actually potential realities is it?
    Its basically saying that one aspect of physics, the mass of light quarks, couldn't change without stuff like oxygen never being created in the early universe. It didn't say 'the mass of light quarks can't very much', but 'if the mass of light quarks was even slightly different the universe wouldn't have complex organic chemistry'.

I think Shunya just misread the article, or the title (depending on how much he read).

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Its basically saying that one aspect of physics, the mass of light quarks, couldn't change without stuff like oxygen never being created in the early universe. It didn't say 'the mass of light quarks can't very much', but 'if the mass of light quarks was even slightly different the universe wouldn't have complex organic chemistry'.
      I understand all that. My comment relates to my first post. Even if I assume the multiverse question is settled,I do not know of anything that says even though there could be any different constants than what we have it does not mean that another roll of the dice would in fact produce a set of constants different than what we have in this universe. "In other words there may be no dice and what we have is what we would always get." The parameters of the origin of the universe do not necessarily work like a roll of the dice. The properties of the origin may control the resulting constants.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        What's the fine-tuning principle? Do you mean the fine-tuning argument, which is based off the anthropic principle?
        Ah, sorry. Yes, I meant the fine-tuning argument.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        I understand all that. My comment relates to my first post. Even if I assume the multiverse question is settled,I do not know of anything that says even though there could be any different constants than what we have it does not mean that another roll of the dice would in fact produce a set of constants different than what we have in this universe. "In other words there may be no dice and what we have is what we would always get." The parameters of the origin of the universe do not necessarily work like a roll of the dice. The properties of the origin may control the resulting constants.
        My understanding is that our current knowledge indicates that the symmetry could have broken in a different way which would result in different constants and hence a difference universe. As far as I know, the way symmetry breaks is random, but it *might* be that we simply don't understand it. I can't speak much to this last statement other than to say it's kind of an argument from ignorance.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment