Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dodo extinction cover-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodo extinction cover-up?

This morning, I noticed my stepdaughter watching a children's science show on TV. I quickly discerned it was from a YEC perspective (it was on one of the over-the-air religious channels), and that it made a number of statements that I strongly disagreed with (such as positing that dinosaurs could fit on the ark because they were taken on as babies, and that natural selection had nothing to do with evolution). However, one stood out to me as downright factually wrong: The show's host said that dodos went extinct because other animals ate its eggs and killed it off, and implied that the same thing also probably ended up killing off dinosaurs. Is there some theological reason they would want to cover up the fact that humans killed off the dodo?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This morning, I noticed my stepdaughter watching a children's science show on TV. I quickly discerned it was from a YEC perspective (it was on one of the over-the-air religious channels), and that it made a number of statements that I strongly disagreed with (such as positing that dinosaurs could fit on the ark because they were taken on as babies, and that natural selection had nothing to do with evolution). However, one stood out to me as downright factually wrong: The show's host said that dodos went extinct because other animals ate its eggs and killed it off, and implied that the same thing also probably ended up killing off dinosaurs. Is there some theological reason they would want to cover up the fact that humans killed off the dodo?
    Theological reason? None comes to mind. Ideological reason? A desire to downplay human impact on our environment (anti-AGW) could fit.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I can't be bothered to research so I'll just quote Wikipedia:

Like many animals that evolved in isolation from significant predators, the dodo was entirely fearless of humans. This fearlessness and its inability to fly made the dodo easy prey for sailors. Although some scattered reports describe mass killings of dodos for ships' provisions, archaeological investigations have found scant evidence of human predation. Bones of at least two dodos were found in caves at Baie du Cap that sheltered fugitive slaves and convicts in the 17th century and would not have been easily accessible to dodos because of the high, broken terrain. The human population on Mauritius (an area of 1,860 km2 or 720 sq mi) never exceeded 50 people in the 17th century, but they introduced other animals, including dogs, pigs, cats, rats, and crab-eating macaques, which plundered dodo nests and competed for the limited food resources. At the same time, humans destroyed the dodo's forest habitat. The impact of these introduced animals, especially the pigs and macaques, on the dodo population is currently considered more severe than that of hunting. Rats were perhaps not much of a threat to the nests, since dodos would have been used to dealing with local land crabs.
      So the report in the OP does not appear to contradict what actually happened. At worst it's overly simplistic.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

If Dodos are extinct, why are some of them still posting on Tweb?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Lol.....dinosaur babies. Which one of Noah's sons got stuck trying to sneak a baby T-Rex away?

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
            Lol.....dinosaur babies. Which one of Noah's sons got stuck trying to sneak a baby T-Rex away?
            Ham. He thought that they munched on salads and coconuts. Oh, wait. Wrong Ham.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment