Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

State of the Union - Climate change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah I would much rather believe Al Gore, the democrats, and the scientists that get all their funding from the liberal government. No agenda there at all.

I have lived through the last 50 years of this "climate change", and every prediction they have made has not come true. If they had, the ice caps would all be melted, the coasts would be under 100 ft of water and we would be living in deserts with people dropping like flies from skin cancer. Didn't happen. Ain't gonna happen. It is not warmer or colder now than it was back in the 70's and 80's other than normal cycles (like sunspot cycles every 11 years and El Nino cycles)

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
      It was done for clarity. "Climate change" is a more precise descriptive term. The fact that the overall average temperature of the world is rising due to human introduced GHGs was often easy to ignore given the sometimes localized extreme climate changes (i.e. colder winters in some parts of the northern hemisphere).
      But the term climate change is meaningless - the climate is always changing. And are you saying human beings are the only cause of thus present warming trend?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        yeah I would much rather believe Al Gore, the democrats, and the scientists that get all their funding from the liberal government. No agenda there at all.

I have lived through the last 50 years of this "climate change", and every prediction they have made has not come true. If they had, the ice caps would all be melted, the coasts would be under 100 ft of water and we would be living in deserts with people dropping like flies from skin cancer. Didn't happen. Ain't gonna happen. It is not warmer or colder now than it was back in the 70's and 80's other than normal cycles (like sunspot cycles every 11 years and El Nino cycles)
        When I was really young, it was a new "ice age", when I got to about 2nd grade they were saying we would need hazmat suits to go outside due to the danger. They acted, in both scenarios, that if we didn't do something "right then" then we were all doomed. Nothing happened, either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          No. No it doesn't. They were blaming cow farts, too.
          Actually yes it does.

This is somewhat telling. In the period Nov 2012 through Dec 2013 there were 2258 peer-reviewed scientific articles on human factors in global warming published in the professional scientific literature.

2257 contained supporting evidence for AGW.

1 paper argued against AGW.

c36e2b18-f364-494c-aab8-be3e74a14bc1_366h.jpg

Weather Channel source

OK, so the earth is billions of years old, and the "last century" matters ... because?
          Because my kids and their descendants are the ones who will have to live with this mess we created in the last century. Yours will too.

Comment

Yup.....

From Newsweek, April 28, 1975.....

"There are ominous signs that the Earth’s weather patterns have begun to change dramatically and that these changes may portend a drastic decline in food production – with serious political implications for just about every nation on Earth. The drop in food output could begin quite soon, perhaps only 10 years from now. The regions destined to feel its impact are the great wheat-producing lands of Canada and the U.S.S.R. in the North, along with a number of marginally self-sufficient tropical areas – parts of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indochina and Indonesia – where the growing season is dependent upon the rains brought by the monsoon.

The evidence in support of these predictions has now begun to accumulate so massively that meteorologists are hard-pressed to keep up with it. In England, farmers have seen their growing season decline by about two weeks since 1950, with a resultant overall loss in grain production estimated at up to 100,000 tons annually. During the same time, the average temperature around the equator has risen by a fraction of a degree – a fraction that in some areas can mean drought and desolation. Last April, in the most devastating outbreak of tornadoes ever recorded, 148 twisters killed more than 300 people and caused half a billion dollars’ worth of damage in 13 U.S. states.

A similar story was carried in Time Magazine -- just google "The Coming Ice Age" in quotes.

Now, TODAY's alarmists moan that these "nine paragraphs" shouldn't be considered in contrast to the VOLUMES of data today.......

But, truth be told, when I was a kid, the PANIC was "the Coming Ice Age" (along with overpouplation)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually yes it does.
              Actually, no it doesn't.

Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing your scientific credentials?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                When I was really young, it was a new "ice age", when I got to about 2nd grade they were saying we would need hazmat suits to go outside due to the danger. They acted, in both scenarios, that if we didn't do something "right then" then we were all doomed. Nothing happened, either way.
                like this:
                http://www.wmconnolley.org.uk/sci/ic...1975-05-21.pdf

http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  But the term climate change is meaningless - the climate is always changing.
                  But never this rapidly and never with so many people dependent on a stable climate for their basic necessities.

And are you saying human beings are the only cause of thus present warming trend?
                  Most if not all is caused by us. That's what the scientific evidence shows.

Comment

But never this rapidly and never with so many people dependent on a stable climate for their basic necessities.

Rapidly????? 40 years and no increase in temps? That's rapid?

Man, you have drank the koolaid.

Comment

PREVIOUSLY.....
                      The scientific evidence shows virtually all the observed warming in the last century is human caused.
                      And NOW....
                      Most if not all is caused by us.
                      So, we're making PROGRESS!!!

What happened in the distant past has no bearing on the copious amounts of confirming data we have for the last century of human driven warming.
                      So, you select the periods you want to analyze, and discard the rest, and you get the results you want? Can WE do that, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Actually, no it doesn't.?
                        Denying the evidence won't make the evidence go away.

I showed you the stats for published scientific papers on AGW. 2257 to 1 in the last year. Are you going to claim the thousands of scientists who published those results are all part of the Big Science Conspiracy?

I can't make you accept reality, I can only show you the scientific results. You'll have to do the acceptance on your own.

Comment

I showed you the stats for published scientific papers on AGW. 2257 to 1 in the last year. Are you going to claim the thousands of scientists who published those results are all part of the Big Science Conspiracy?

I can't make you accept reality, I can only show you the scientific results. You'll have to do the acceptance on your own.
                          Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that there IS man caused global warming...... how much money would you spend to fix the problem, and how soon would you have it fixed?

Comment

How do you know it never changed so rapidly? We really know the history of the earth's climate that well for the past 15 million years?

Really? How much CO2 do we put into the atmosphere as opposed to nature? What is our percentage?
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If these same scientists were wrong about an ice age coming, what makes you think they are right now about global warming? They had temperature measurements and charts back then showing how fast the world was cooling off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Rapidly????? 40 years and no increase in temps? That's rapid?
                                The average global temperature has increased approx. 0.6 deg. C in the last 40 years.

Global_Temperatures.jpg

Man, you have drank the koolaid.
                                Me and 99% of the climate scientists on the planet.

Comment