Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

State of the Union - Climate change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Union - Climate change?

From the State of the Union address last night

The shift to a cleaner energy economy won’t happen overnight, and it will require tough choices along the way. But the debate is settled. Climate change is a fact. And when our children’s children look us in the eye and ask if we did all we could to leave them a safer, more stable world, with new sources of energy, I want us to be able to say yes, we did.”
    So is the President correct? The debate is settled? Meaning the science is settled. Climate change (man made climate change in context) is a fact?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Climate always changes. Doesn't mean "man-made"

"Climate Change" is just the new buzzword after "Global Warming" turned out to be a farce. It's a way to control energy sources, in my opinion. Scare tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

"Climate Change" is just the new buzzword after "Global Warming" turned out to be a farce. It's a way to control energy sources, in my opinion. Scare tactics.
      Just like before that they were predicting another ice age.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        So is the President correct? The debate is settled? Meaning the science is settled. Climate change (man made climate change in context) is a fact?
        Two big questions have by now been answered.

Is global warming to be expected given the increase in greenhouse gases caused by humanity? The answer is yes.

Can factors other than the greenhouse effect account for the current warming trend? The answer is no.

That is settled insofar that it is always possible, in any science, that some future discovery will turn everything upside down, although by now the knowledge about climate is so robust that such an observation is extremely difficult.

I think the exact calculated effects of climate change have such margins of error that it is difficult for policy makers to come to terms with it. Note that I don't consider myself an alarmist: climate change is a challenge I think we can and will meet. But it would be helpful if we could leave the 'there is no warming' gobbledigook behind us.

Comment

You know I wondered why they changed it from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change." Did they change the term to better deceive us? Or was it done for other reasons?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

So is the President correct? The debate is settled?
            From what I could tell, it was the ONLY thing he said with force or conviction, so it HAS to be true! (And he didn't say, "Period!" after it)
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But the even NEWER buzzword is "Polar Vortex"..... like we never ever had snow storms before!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathandavid View Post
                Is global warming to be expected given the increase in greenhouse gases caused by humanity? The answer is yes.
                But the question would be how much influence do we really have?

Can factors other than the greenhouse effect account for the current warming trend? The answer is no.
                So you/we know ALL the causes of warming trends in the past? Times when human population was small or non-existent? I mean where I live was once covered with glaciers - they are long gone. What exactly melted them?

Comment

When it is unusually hot, it is called "Global Warmiing" and when it is unusually cold, it is "Climate change" - they get you coming and going.

Comment

You know I wondered why they changed it from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change." Did they change the term to better deceive us? Or was it done for other reasons?
                    It was done for clarity. "Climate change" is a more precise descriptive term. The fact that the overall average temperature of the world is rising due to human introduced GHGs was often easy to ignore given the sometimes localized extreme climate changes (i.e. colder winters in some parts of the northern hemisphere).

Comment

This climate denialism stuff, is that also a Christian thing? When have Christians become so jaded and ignorant? Christianity is the one religion that has had the closest relation with science in the past, is there so little left of that? It seems people would rather believe some theme park director when it comes to biology, and a couple of tobacco lobbyists when it comes to climate science. There's no logic to it.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                        It was done for clarity. "Climate change" is a more precise descriptive term. The fact that the overall average temperature of the world is rising due to human introduced GHGs was often easy to ignore given the sometimes localized extreme climate changes (i.e. colder winters in some parts of the northern hemisphere).

Comment

It's the same old scam.....

Identify a problem (even if you have to invent one)
                          Exaggerate it beyond the ability of ANYBODY but "government" to handle it
                          Create programs, organizations, and require funding to attack the problem
                          HUGE problems require MEGA money
                          NEVER EVER solve the problem, or the need for money will disappear.

Comment

But the question would be how much influence do we really have?
                            The scientific evidence shows virtually all the observed warming in the last century is human caused.

So you/we know ALL the causes of warming trends in the past? Times when human population was small or non-existent? I mean where I live was once covered with glaciers - they are long gone. What exactly melted them?
                            What happened in the distant past has no bearing on the copious amounts of confirming data we have for the last century of human driven warming.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                              The scientific evidence shows virtually all the observed warming in the last century is human caused.
                              No. No it doesn't. They were blaming cow farts, too.

What happened in the distant past has no bearing on the copious amounts of confirming data we have for the last century of human driven warming.
                              OK, so the earth is billions of years old, and the "last century" matters ... because?

Comment