Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hidden Character Stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Character Stone

Hi,

Can someone please provide more information on the following:

http://www.chinauncensored.com/index...enon&Itemid=84

Thanks.

This probably should be in archeology. The inscription is not 270 million years old. It is most definitely made within the 20th century. It appears to inscribed into the stone, because you can see the shadows of the carving. I spent 9 years knocking around China and saw other bogus claims such as this. The Chinese media is notorious for this type of yellow journalism phony stuff. Part of the motivation for this type of phony sensationalism is to promote local tourism.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-08-2015, 07:17 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

This Wiki page is about the same thing. The rock itself may be 270My old but the writing (if that’s what it is) is definitely not. Whoever wrote it (assuming it is not a natural pattern) knew about the Chinese Communist Party.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_character_stone

“I think the mainland public is way too sophisticated for this kind of nonsense.”
      http://blog.hiddenharmonies.org/2008...-savior-stone/
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I spent 9 years knocking around China ....
        Doing what?
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Doing what?
          taught English to get a visa, which gave me a lot time to travel and visit different places. I also had a personal study of language, culture, jade and martial arts. I practiced in the parks early in the morning.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

taught English to get a visa, which gave me a lot time to travel and visit different places. I also had a personal study of language, culture, jade and martial arts. I practiced in the parks early in the morning.
            So do you speak/write Mandarin? I think that’s what they teach in western schools these days. I know, in Europe at least, you don’t need to know the local language to teach English as a foreign language; but it can’t be easy. Lots of repeat after me with pointing and pictures.

Comment

So do you speak/write Mandarin? I think that’s what they teach in western schools these days. I know, in Europe at least, you don’t need to know the local language to teach English as a foreign language; but it can’t be easy. Lots of repeat after me with pointing and pictures.
              Yes I learned 'Standard Chinese or National Chinese,' Putonghua' or 'Guoyu.' which is sometimes what they call 'Mandarin' in the west, but Chinese do not like the word, because it was used to designate Northwestern China which Japan considered theirs. Yes, the spoken 'Standard Chinese' is what is mostly taught in western schools. I actually have done some translation work and writing, but my spoken language was ok, but my written and reading was better. Regional dialects of Chinese are often difficult to understand, even for Chinese. The dominant dialect in the south is Guangdonghua or called Cantonese in the west. There are maybe twenty or more significant dialects of Chinese and ethnic languages, but some are fading from use. All use the same written language, either the simplified modern version or the older original Chinese.

I date the carving in the rock as probably from the nineteen sixties or maybe nineteen seventies, because it was a mix of old type characters and new simplified characters.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-08-2015, 11:21 AM.

Frank

Comment

Yes I learned 'Standard Chinese or National Chinese,' Putonghua' or 'Guoyu.' which is sometimes what they call 'Mandarin' in the west, but Chinese do not like the word, because it was used to designate Northwestern China which Japan considered theirs. Yes, the spoken 'Standard Chinese' is what is mostly taught in western schools. I actually have done some translation work and writing, but my spoken language was ok, but my written and reading was better. Regional dialects of Chinese are often difficult to understand, even for Chinese. The dominant dialect in the south is Guangdonghua or called Cantonese in the west. There are maybe twenty or more significant dialects of Chinese and ethnic languages, but some are fading from use. All use the same written language, either the simplified modern version or the older original Chinese.

I date the carving in the rock as probably from the nineteen sixties or maybe nineteen seventies, because it was a mix of old type characters and new simplified characters.
                Wow! Thanks for that.
                While on the subject of languages, I heard a story recently about an Italian girl who had been living in the UK for several years and when she went home her friends would frequently catch her speaking nonsense Italian even while she thought she was speaking normally. So her Italian brain had been reorganised by learning to speak and think in English and she was quite unaware of it.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for that.
                  While on the subject of languages, I heard a story recently about an Italian girl who had been living in the UK for several years and when she went home her friends would frequently catch her speaking nonsense Italian even while she thought she was speaking normally. So her Italian brain had been reorganised by learning to speak and think in English and she was quite unaware of it.
                  Interesting. I have heard of stories of spontaneous speaking of a language after hearing the language, but this is a new one.

One error on my part is that Mandarin was a Portuguese colonial word and distasteful to Chinese.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-09-2015, 06:20 AM.

Frank

Comment

Interesting. I have heard of stories of spontaneous speaking of a language after hearing the language, but this is a new one.

One error on my part is that Mandarin was a Portuguese colonial word and distasteful to Chinese.
                    Can a Mandarin speaker understand spoken Cantonese?

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                      Can a Mandarin speaker understand spoken Cantonese?
                      With difficulty, and some dialects are even more different. It is a little like understanding between the Romance languages of Europe. Sometimes yes and no. There is a degree of cultural and ethnic sense of superiority between the ethnic groups, and a deliberate effort to not understand other dialects. This is especially true of the Han majority that speak Standard Chinese, and they often ridicule other ethnic groups calling them the equivalent of 'Hill Billy' in Chinese slang.

Frank

Comment