Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Newfound Exoplanets Are Most Earth-Like Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newfound Exoplanets Are Most Earth-Like Yet

Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/newfound-exoplanets-are-most-earth-like-yet/?WT.mc_id=SA_DD_20150107

After five years of searching, researchers using data from NASA's exoplanet-hunting Kepler spacecraft have discovered what look to be two of the most Earth-like worlds yet. Dubbed Kepler 438 b and Kepler 442 b, both planets appear to be rocky and orbit in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold habitable zones of their stars where liquid water can exist in abundance. Astronomers announced the planets along with six other newfound small, temperate worlds today at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Seattle. Their findings will be published in The Astrophysical Journal. The discoveries double the number of known potentially habitable exoplanets. They also push Kepler's tally of vetted, confirmed worlds to just over 1,000, marking a milestone in the mission's epochal search for alien Earths.

Both planets are many hundreds of light-years away and orbit stars smaller and dimmer than our sun. Like most of Kepler's finds, they were discovered via transits—the shadows they cast toward our solar system as they cross the blazing faces of their stars. Transits allow astronomers to measure a planet's size, orbit and exposure to starlight. Kepler 438 b is only about 12 percent larger than Earth, and basks in 40 percent more starlight; Kepler 442 b is 30 percent larger and receives about 30 percent less light. Both spheres may be somewhat warmer than Kepler's two previous premier rocky worlds, Kepler 186 f and Kepler 62 f, each of which gets significantly less starlight—similar to that received by Mars. “We can't say for sure whether these planets are truly habitable—only that they are promising candidates for habitability," says study co-author David Kipping, an astronomer at the Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) in Cambridge, Mass.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Too bad we don't have any FTL spacecraft!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Source: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/newfound-exoplanets-are-most-earth-like-yet/?WT.mc_id=SA_DD_20150107

After five years of searching, researchers using data from NASA's exoplanet-hunting Kepler spacecraft have discovered what look to be two of the most Earth-like worlds yet. Dubbed Kepler 438 b and Kepler 442 b, both planets appear to be rocky and orbit in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold habitable zones of their stars where liquid water can exist in abundance. Astronomers announced the planets along with six other newfound small, temperate worlds today at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Seattle. Their findings will be published in The Astrophysical Journal. The discoveries double the number of known potentially habitable exoplanets. They also push Kepler's tally of vetted, confirmed worlds to just over 1,000, marking a milestone in the mission's epochal search for alien Earths.

Both planets are many hundreds of light-years away and orbit stars smaller and dimmer than our sun. Like most of Kepler's finds, they were discovered via transits—the shadows they cast toward our solar system as they cross the blazing faces of their stars. Transits allow astronomers to measure a planet's size, orbit and exposure to starlight. Kepler 438 b is only about 12 percent larger than Earth, and basks in 40 percent more starlight; Kepler 442 b is 30 percent larger and receives about 30 percent less light. Both spheres may be somewhat warmer than Kepler's two previous premier rocky worlds, Kepler 186 f and Kepler 62 f, each of which gets significantly less starlight—similar to that received by Mars. “We can't say for sure whether these planets are truly habitable—only that they are promising candidates for habitability," says study co-author David Kipping, an astronomer at the Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) in Cambridge, Mass.

Man Shuny, did you cut one!? Check your undies man!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Ignore the boar!
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Let me know when an article regarding the find appears in ApJ. It should prove to be interesting reading.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Is there or is there not an earthlike planet that needs to be explored!
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Story also found here http://phys.org/news/2013-04-astroph...exoplanet.html

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                I'm fairly certain that's a different story, from last year. The exoplanet designations are different.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Oh, and I found this on an old hard drive partition image:
                  Source:

20070514csbre-a-p.jpg

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Are the stars red dwarfs? If so, they tend to be flare stars which cause problems for surface life. Still, I'd like to book a vacation on one of them exoplanets.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                      Are the stars red dwarfs? If so, they tend to be flare stars which cause problems for surface life. Still, I'd like to book a vacation on one of them exoplanets.

K54
                      From my reading thus far, it seems that data for Sol-sized stars is just now becoming available (so the stars are probably red dwarfs).

ETA: Here is the paper I've been reading.

The sun for Kepler-438b is .544 MSol; that for Kepler-442b is .609 MSol. So they're K class, one step up from red dwarfs.
                      Last edited by One Bad Pig; 01-08-2015, 12:25 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Ah, the voice of ignorance regales us with his deep and thoughtful analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          Is there or is there not an earthlike planet that needs to be explored!
                          Not enough data to answer is/is not, and we wouldn't be able to "explore" them anyway. Perhaps you have an alternate definition of "explore".

It would take 1000s of years to reach an exoplanet, and we are far, far away from the kind of required technology.

Maybe you're just funnin' us?

K54

Comment

Good slide show on the recently discovery of potentially habitable planets. https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...=yhs-fh_lsonsw

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                              Not enough data to answer is/is not, and we wouldn't be able to "explore" them anyway. Perhaps you have an alternate definition of "explore".

It would take 1000s of years to reach an exoplanet, and we are far, far away from the kind of required technology.

Maybe you're just funnin' us?

K54
                              Even if we had the means to go near light speed. So that the explorers could travel to and from in matter of weeks, not years. It would still be 2000+ years here on earth, before anyone on earth found out anything.
                              Last edited by 37818; 01-11-2015, 08:19 PM. Reason: correct a spelling
                              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment