Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I'm Sorry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Sorry...

This stuff is scary! How long before they control us - or eliminate us?

Researchers have come up with a new way to teach robots how to use tools simply by watching videos on YouTube.

The researchers, from the University of Maryland and the Australian research center NICTA, have just published a paper on their achievements, which they will present this month at the 29th annual conference of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.

The demonstration is the latest impressive use of a type of artificial intelligence called deep learning. A hot area for acquisitions as of late, deep learning entails training systems called artificial neural networks on lots of information derived from audio, images, and other inputs, and then presenting the systems with new information and receiving inferences about it in response.
    http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/02/ro...outube-videos/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    This stuff is scary! How long before they control us - or eliminate us?

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/02/ro...outube-videos/
    I think George Orwell made that clear. It will happen in 1984.

Seer, no need to apologize, just face the fact that one day you may need to rewired if you live long enough.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-04-2015, 01:49 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I think Orson Wells made that clear. It will happen in 1984.

Seer, no need to apologize, just face the fact that one day you may need to rewired if you live long enough.
      No, it is more like they will become a danger to humanity - or at least take all our jobs.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I think Orson Wells [...]
        Eric Arthur Blair aka George Orwell.

Comment

No, it is more like they will become a danger to humanity - or at least take all our jobs.
          Already done that ie auto industry
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Already done that ie auto industry
            Right, and in my shop where one SMT machine put ten women out of work. Not good...

Comment

I sincerely doubt we'll make artifical intellects that are persons, but we might make machines that could become a danger to us in some ways. Or maybe it'll plateu with automated cars, planes, drones, more robots in the industry and construction, automated reasoning machines for figuring mathematical theorems and reduce the complexity of engineering certain things.

I hope God doesn't pick robots to the be means for achieving the last days.

Comment

Things humans are doing that robots can do as well, should be done by robots. Humans should be doing things robots can't do. If we get to the point where robots are better than humans at everything, what prevents us from just sitting back, enjoying all their output, and just, you know, believing things?

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
                  If we get to the point where robots are better than humans at everything, what prevents us from just sitting back, enjoying all their output, and just, you know, believing things?
                  Then how does the common man earn his daily bread?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    I hope God doesn't pick robots to the be means for achieving the last days.

"The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race" Stephen Hawking

Comment

The process of wealth concentration (this is where the problem is) means that instead of benefiting from automation, the working class are forced progressively into lower paid unskilled jobs, dependence of state benefits, begging, crime, and prostitution and so on.

One possible solution is to ensure that everybody has a subsistence income whether or not they work and give everybody the opportunity for education and meaningful work to supplement their income. There should also be a cap on income and excess wealth should be concentrated in common resources for the benefit of all – infrastructure, power, water, etc. Then the robots work for everybody not just the corporations.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

No matter what society should provide a state of living below which the common man doesn't fall. Otherwise, perhaps more service oriented jobs can opened.

The coming increases of the automation of industry will either demonstrate that trickle-down economics is correct, or that in reality it only means that rich people get even more rich.

Comment

No matter what society should provide a state of living below which the common man doesn't fall. Otherwise, perhaps more service oriented jobs can opened.

The coming increases of the automation of industry will either demonstrate that trickle-down economics is correct, or that in reality it only means that rich people get even more rich.
                          The latter. See even today a tradesman, especially in manufacturing (my field) can still earn a decent living. Yes, we could all become domestic servants or waitresses and there will be some construction jobs left but I suspect that the vast middle class will be decimated. The ultra rich and the dependent class will be all that is left.

Comment

The latter. See even today a tradesman, especially in manufacturing (my field) can still earn a decent living. Yes, we could all become domestic servants or waitresses and there will be some construction jobs left but I suspect that the vast middle class will be decimated. The ultra rich and the dependent class will be all that is left.
                            Hopefully not, but we'll see. Though if this is the case, and most people become poor on a permanent basis I have no doubt that Christianity will thrive. I think Christ let Himself be born in a manger, to teach us to hate riches and love poverty. With all those worldly distractions gone, maybe people would remember that's really important.

Comment

Hopefully not, but we'll see. Though if this is the case, and most people become poor on a permanent basis I have no doubt that Christianity will thrive. I think Christ let Himself be born in a manger, to teach us to hate riches and love poverty. With all those worldly distractions gone, maybe people would remember that's really important.
                              This may be true - but there will be a lot of pain on the way down.

Comment