Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Scientist Resigns as Stem-Cell Creation Method Is Discredited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    So when some of the founders of the Baha'i faith opposed current scientific theories as they understood them that is somehow fundamentally different from some Muslims or Christians or animists or members of other religions who might oppose current scientific theories as they understand them?
    The problem with Christians and Muslims is that many, not just some, give primacy of their scripture over science. The Baha'i Faith absolutely does not.

Robrecht, apparently you have a distinct problem with the English language, and references I have provided. Commentary in the Arabic and Persian scriptures on the nature of our physical existence is not considered in opposition to science at any time. The foundation principles are what stand for how the Baha'i Faith believes and teaches concerning the relationship of science and religion and the independence of science concerning the knowledge of our physical existence. I know of no references by Baha'i scientists nor in non-science publications that have ever objected to or openly opposed the evolving scientific knowledge, nor gave primacy of scripture over science in the 19th, 20th nor the 21st centuries.

You sure are dense cookie when trying to communicate in basic English.

Source: Source: Robin Mishrahi, 2005. "Ether, Quantum Physics and the Bahá'í Writings"

"As a final observation it should be noted that because many of the scientific discoveries and theories referred to in the Bahá'í Writings were yet unknown to the contemporaries of Bahá'u'lláh and `Abdu'l-Bahá, They obviously could not have used the technical terms applied for their description nowadays. Instead, They had to make use of and sometimes redefine already existing concepts and terms (e.g. the ether concept or the idea of the four elements of ancient Greek philosophy) in a way that they would accurately explain what They had in mind. On a superficial level, this might give the impression that the Central Figures of the Faith did not actually formulate any new ideas about physical reality. When we study Their Writings more closely, however, we come to realise that this only seems to be the case because Their references to such topics were purposely made in such a way that they would neither offend Their addressees who believed in certain (erroneous) contemporary scientific concepts, nor make use of a terminology that had not yet been developed by contemporary scientists."

© Copyright Original Source

Full text available on request. Any more questions concerning this issue, please address them in the appropriate thread. I know of no references by Baha'i scientists nor in non-science publications that have ever objected to the evolving scientific knowledge, nor gave primacy of scripture over science, in the 19th, 20th nor the 21st centuries.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-27-2014, 03:45 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Shuny...you just don't know how to quit when you're ahead, do you? You started so well...
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
        Shuny...you just don't know how to quit when you're ahead, do you? You started so well...
        Pease do not follow the other problem children, and post relevant to the subject.

Science has demonstrated that it is a self, correcting consistent body of knowledge, and cleans its own house over time concerning bad research and fraud.

Why do many Christians and Muslims not trust science concerning evolution and cosmology?
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-27-2014, 04:56 PM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          apparently you have a distinct problem with the English language
          ...I find this ironical given that is is coming from someone who habitually abuses the syntax of the English language to the point of hilarity.

Comment

Pease do not follow the other problem children, and post relevant to the subject.

Science has demonstrated that it is a self, correcting consistent body of knowledge, and cleans its own house over time concerning bad research and fraud.

Why do many Christians and Muslims not trust science concerning evolution and cosmology?
            Who doesn't trust *science* ?

Maybe its agenda-driven individual PERSONS we don't trust.

...Hawking let the cat out of the bag when he noted some "scientists" rejected theories if they might enable religion
            ...because they "smacked of the divine"
            To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

...of course, to be fair,
              ...in the religious precinct, we've had charlatans who said if we didn't give them all our money, that meant we didn't trust God
              To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                ...I find this ironical given that is is coming from someone who habitually abuses the syntax of the English language to the point of hilarity.
                Airball!!! From the anal retentive grammarian. If you have something meaningful to contribute please do.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-28-2014, 07:34 AM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
                  Who doesn't trust *science* ?

Maybe its agenda-driven individual PERSONS we don't trust.

...Hawking let the cat out of the bag when he noted some "scientists" rejected theories if they might enable religion
                  ...because they "smacked of the divine"
                  Hawking's personal comments are not science and not at tissue here.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
                    ...of course, to be fair,
                    ...in the religious precinct, we've had charlatans who said if we didn't give them all our money, that meant we didn't trust God
                    Off topic!! But on the other hand there doing quite well in the USA.

Frank

Comment

Airball!!! From the anal attentive grammarian. If you have something meaningful to contribute please do.
                      Again, its "anal retentive", not "anal attentive".

Comment

We should start a list of shunyisms.

"anal attentive"
                        "airball"
                        "the three stooges, duck bob and weave"
                        "OFF TOPIC!!!"
                        "still waiting . . ."
                        "the source that some call God(s)"
                        "cling/clinging to ancient paradigms"

Comment

Robrecht, apparently you have a distinct problem with the English language, and references I have provided. Commentary in the Arabic and Persian scriptures on the nature of our physical existence is not considered in opposition to science at any time. The foundation principles are what stand for how the Baha'i Faith believes and teaches concerning the relationship of science and religion and the independence of science concerning the knowledge of our physical existence.
                          I know of no references by Baha'i scientists nor in non-science publications that have ever objected to or openly opposed the evolving scientific knowledge in the 19th, 20th nor the 21st centuries.

You sure are dense cookie when trying to communicate in basic English.

Source: Source: Robin Mishrahi, 2005. "Ether, Quantum Physics and the Bahá'í Writings"

"As a final observation it should be noted that because many of the scientific discoveries and theories referred to in the Bahá'í Writings were yet unknown to the contemporaries of Bahá'u'lláh and `Abdu'l-Bahá, They obviously could not have used the technical terms applied for their description nowadays. Instead, They had to make use of and sometimes redefine already existing concepts and terms (e.g. the ether concept or the idea of the four elements of ancient Greek philosophy) in a way that they would accurately explain what They had in mind. On a superficial level, this might give the impression that the Central Figures of the Faith did not actually formulate any new ideas about physical reality. When we study Their Writings more closely, however, we come to realise that this only seems to be the case because Their references to such topics were purposely made in such a way that they would neither offend Their addressees who believed in certain (erroneous) contemporary scientific concepts, nor make use of a terminology that had not yet been developed by contemporary scientists."

You have not really explained the what the difference is between foundational members of the Baha'i faith opposing scientific theories and members of other religions opposing scientific theories. You've mentioned a few differences, but the significance of each difference is not clear. Uneducated. Commenting on scriptures. Not wanting to offend their addresses. These sound like excuses that you yourself would not accept from people in other faiths.
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Airball!!! From the anal attentive grammarian. If you have something meaningful to contribute please do.
                            It's not an airball. Robrecht's alleged problem with understanding you is much more likely to be the result of your inability to write in proper English than anything on his part.

Comment

Off topic!! But on the other hand there doing quite well in the USA.
                              so this is the topic here?

Hawking's personal comments are not science and not at tissue here.
                              so this comment is science and is what is at issue here?

what a silly man

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Again, its "anal retentive", not "anal attentive".
                                Thank you for the correction. I like both!!

Frank

Comment