Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Scientist Resigns as Stem-Cell Creation Method Is Discredited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    It's not an airball. Robrecht's alleged problem with understanding you is much more likely to be the result of your inability to write in proper English than anything on his part.
    It is not my English that is the problem. I have directly cited sources to clarify my position from publications.

Do you have anything to contribute to thread instead of anal retentive insults? Which by the way represent a well known fallacy.

Do you trust the science of Evolution and Cosmology?
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-28-2014, 07:35 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Airball!!! From the anal attentive grammarian. If you have something meaningful to contribute please do.
      His post wasn't an "airball", but yours did earn you a "screwball".

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        His post wasn't an "airball", but yours did earn you a "screwball".
        Do you have any constructive post to contribute?

Do you trust science concerning Evolution and Cosmology?
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I think it is constructive to point out your dismissals of your own failures, and errors.

You already know the answer to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            I think it is constructive to point out your dismissals of your own failures, and errors.
            You already know the answer to that.

Frank

Comment

It is not my English that is the problem. I have directly cited sources to clarify my position from publications.

Do you have anything to contribute to thread instead of anal retentive insults? Which by the way represent a well known fallacy.

Pointing out your difficulties with writing proper English is insulting you? Give me a break.

And I didn't say that there even was a problem in the first part. I was saying that if there is a problem the blame is much more likely to be on you than on robrecht.

Comment

Pointing out your difficulties with writing proper English is insulting you? Give me a break.

And I didn't say that there even was a problem in the first part. I was saying that if there is a problem the blame is much more likely to be on you than on robrecht.

Frank

Comment

Do you have anything to contribute to thread instead of anal retentive insults?
                  I have not insulted you once in this thread.

Comment

He takes any kind of challenge to his "superior knowledge" as an insult.

Comment

Frank

Comment

One of the problems is the conflation of 'science' with 'everything scientists say / everything scientists do'. I can trust the former, but I don't automatically trust the latter. Scientists get things wrong. And they should be happy to have that pointed out, when they do.

We know that the peer review process can be corrupted (and has been), and a Nobel Prize winning scientist says:

Originally posted by Sydney Brenner
                        I think peer review is hindering science. In fact, I think it has become a completely corrupt system. It’s corrupt in many ways, in that scientists and academics have handed over to the editors of these journals the ability to make judgment on science and scientists. There are universities in America, and I’ve heard from many committees, that we won’t consider people’s publications in low impact factor journals.

Now I mean, people are trying to do something, but I think it’s not publish or perish, it’s publish in the okay places [or perish]. And this has assembled a most ridiculous group of people. I wrote a column for many years in the nineties, in a journal called Current Biology. In one article, “Hard Cases”, I campaigned against this [culture] because I think it is not only bad, it’s corrupt. In other words it puts the judgment in the hands of people who really have no reason to exercise judgment at all. And that’s all been done in the aid of commerce, because they are now giant organisations making money out of it.

Shunya, it seems to me that you do conflate 'science' with 'whatever scientists say / whatever scientists do'. Scientists are people, it's foolish to trust them 100%, just like it's foolish to trust anyone 100%. People are fallible, even when they have the best of intentions.
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                          One of the problems is the conflation of 'science' with 'everything scientists say / everything scientists do'. I can trust the former, but I don't automatically trust the latter. Scientists get things wrong. And they should be happy to have that pointed out, when they do.

We know that the peer review process can be corrupted (and has been), and a Nobel Prize winning scientist says:

Shunya, it seems to me that you do conflate 'science' with 'whatever scientists say / whatever scientists do'. Scientists are people, it's foolish to trust them 100%, just like it's foolish to trust anyone 100%. People are fallible, even when they have the best of intentions.
                          Yeah. I was recently reading a scientist on another forum, and he said that he wished that the process was more open ended. The peer review process itself can sometimes help protect bad research. I don't know. Thought that was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Yeah. I was recently reading a scientist on another forum, and he said that he wished that the process was more open ended. The peer review process itself can sometimes help protect bad research. I don't know. Thought that was interesting.
                            Traditionally, peer reviewers and authors are anonymous to each other, but there have been experiments with a more open process, especially with the hard sciences. Open access journals are also changing the process, with the technological ability for on-going peer-review through something akin to discussion boards. I think both of these trends toward transparency and wider capability for comment by more peers will ultimately have a positive effect.
                            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Do you have anything to contribute to thread instead of anal retentive insults?
                              Repeating your ridiculous assertion more than once does not make it any less of an untruth.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                                You have not really explained the what the difference is between foundational members of the Baha'i faith opposing scientific theories and members of other religions opposing scientific theories. You've mentioned a few differences, but the significance of each difference is not clear. Uneducated. Commenting on scriptures. Not wanting to offend their addresses. These sound like excuses that you yourself would not accept from people in other faiths.
                                I have addressed the foundational members of the Baha'i Faith and references as to how the Baha'i Faith carries those principles and teaching forward concerning science, and your ignoring my references. The foundation principles of the Baha'i Faith concerning the Harmony of science and religion, the primacy of science concerning the knowledge of our physical existence, and the independent investigation of truth dictates that ALL scripture including the Baha'i Writings must accept the knowledge of science as having primacy over scripture concerning the understanding of our physical existence.

Frank

Comment