Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

To Shuny and other geologically literate folks here. Pennsylvanian cyclothems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    If a lie, then do to misinterpretation of the evidence. One way or the other. One fix would be when very old ages are indicated, the articles need to explain why it is understood to be so. As in the 150,000 year [post flood, I believe] lake bed strata.
    You still don't understand the appearance of history (multiple episodes) thingy, do you?

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
      You still don't understand the appearance of history (multiple episodes) thingy, do you?

K54
      So your example image is wrong (post #45)? Is that what you are claiming? Now why would you do that? I really do not think so. The image shows older and younger strata. The older strata is being cut through by the younger strata. Hay, do you have any understanding of the flood theory of geology. I did not ask if you agree with it. Give me the flood theory explanation, and the excepted scientific geological explanation. Give both.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

So your example image is wrong (post #45)? Is that what you are claiming? Now why would you do that? I really do not think so. The image shows older and younger strata. The older strata is being cut through by the younger strata. Hay, do you have any understanding of the flood theory of geology. I did not ask if you agree with it. Give me the flood theory explanation, and the excepted scientific geological explanation. Give both.
        My example image is NOT "wrong". I have no idea what you're taking about. The photo shows multiple episodes of deposition (originally horizontal), cut by erosional surface, and then multiple episodes of deposition upon that.

Nothing could be simpler to a person with a modicum of knowledge of geology and sedimentology.

How would the "flood theory of geology" explain this??

And, yes, I have VERY good knowledge of the "flood theory of geology" having been in this "debate" for over 40 years and even being a reformed YEC who was a full member of CRS for several years.

I don't know what the "flood theory of geology" explanation is, because there is none.

So, please regale me with YOUR explanation of the Siccar Point formation, in particular how it does not represent multiple episodes -- bearing in mind that each stratum requires a fairly long period to lithify and each stratum represents a different depositional episode. Oh, a while you're at it, explain the angular unconformity and erosional surface.

K54

P.S. Shunya -- do want to add to this post? Can you a "flood geology" explanation of Siccar Point?
        Last edited by klaus54; 01-04-2015, 08:30 PM. Reason: p.s.

Comment

A flume is a lousy model for almost all of the stratification we observe. Most stratification takes place in still or near-still water. As shown by the distribution of particle sizes.

I notice "Searching the geological and sedimentological literature, I was surprised to find that there was little experimental data on the formation of strata." Obviously not much of a search, there have been lots of experiments in that filed.

Comment

Source: http://www.icr.org/article/experiments-stratification/

Correspondence between experimental results and geological formations

The experiments demonstrated that current deposited strata can form in the same way as sequences of facies. This is consistent with sequence stratigraphy. The experiments show that bedding planes, considered as resulting from interruptions of sedimentation, can result from desiccation of sediments. Moreover, recent submarine observations such as Rubin,6 the flume experiments summarized by Southard,7 and river studies initiated by Hjulström8 and developed by several other scientists, have shown the relationships between contemporaneous hydraulic conditions and sedimentary structures, particularly between critical speed of sedimentation and particular size. Such relationships correspond to those measured in our experiments. These relationships can be used to determine the minimum paleohydraulic conditions (velocity of current, depth of water, discharge and speed of accumulation of sediments) from sedimentary rock structures.

© Copyright Original Source

As a geologist, and I took courses in sedimentology and geomorphology in several different universities. I find this simplistic research to be naďve at best it its efforts to account for the thousands of feet of strata in an effort to describe it as flood deposited. Actually this supposed research is equivalent to a basic geology lab exercise in difference size sediment rates of settling that I taught to Freshman in their geology lab. The biggest elephant in the room is limestone and coral reefs which occurs in layers in the strata. This naďve simplistic research cannot explain the hundreds feet of limestone and coral reef formation in the strata. There are other elephants in the room, but this is the biggy.

I have never been able to find a young earth explanation for the vast deposits of limestone and coral reefs.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
              A flume is a lousy model for almost all of the stratification we observe. Most stratification takes place in still or near-still water. As shown by the distribution of particle sizes.

I notice "Searching the geological and sedimentological literature, I was surprised to find that there was little experimental data on the formation of strata." Obviously not much of a search, there have been lots of experiments in that filed.
              You won't find much research on sediment rates of deposition related strata formation, because this research was done and the questions have been answered over 60 years ago. There is more recent research on the environments the dark shales form in, but as far as when, and how sediments form it has been answered long ago.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-05-2015, 09:14 PM.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Yes. And that 60+ year old research is readily available to the serious researcher. I'm near Boston and I bet there are a half-dozen libraries within 25 miles that have it. Gotta be several in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by JonF View Post
                  Yes. And that 60+ year old research is readily available to the serious researcher. I'm near Boston and I bet there are a half-dozen libraries within 25 miles that have it. Gotta be several in Texas.
                  Texas has libraries?

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                    Texas has libraries?
                    In Austin and San Antonio.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                      Texas has libraries?
                      LieBerrys

Comment