Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Truth and Materialistic OOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
    Yes, and when I paused a battle scene, neither of the armies continued to battle while the rest of the scene remained paused. So this is a fairly poor analogy.

This doesn't really answer my question. Do you suppose that he can accomplish tasks which are physically impossible? Or do you suppose that he performs these tasks within the bounds of physics, though stretching and manipulating them?
    yeah it was poor analogy , that's why I had to add the children qualifier

I thought I answered your question, I don't know how He does it.

.......do I need to know this?

I mean,
    some days I am 'not even' curious about the details
    ....some days when I have too much time on my hand I ponder it...

maybe you'll have to ask me on a day when I am in the middle of pondering it

.....i'd like to know how to do that, stop time for everybody else but me, like

..I want that twilight zone stopwatch
    To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

Yep. Says it right next to the "Faith" tag, under my name.
      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ism-Forn-Sed-)
      ah
      'heathen' , right.
      Its not an every day term applied to its etymology
      To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

• Originally posted by jordanriver View Post
        I thought I answered your question, I don't know how He does it.

.......do I need to know this?
        Nope. I'm just curious because some Christians have a strange apprehension against the idea of God as a magical being that can do things which are impossible. Those Christians have a lot more which needs to be justified, on their beliefs, than do the others.
        "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
        --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

sometimes there is .
          if "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" there should be an earth and heavens, and there is.
          Remember that the Ancient Hebrew had no comprehension of the structure of the cosmos. It was "eretz", "shamiyim", and a solid layer between them "raqia".

The ANE had no concept of a "planet".

The best you can say is that Ge 1:1 is "theologically" correct.

K54

Comment

Nope. I'm just curious because some Christians have a strange apprehension against the idea of God as a magical being that can do things which are impossible. Those Christians have a lot more which needs to be justified, on their beliefs, than do the others.
            it sounds more 'reasonable' if you can show a possible interpretation of physical evidence of Biblical claims.

...sometimes we forget that all the physical evidence in the world is not going to convert a soul.

at the end of the day, people are saved by the foolishness of preaching if God wants that person

Comment

• Put your brain on a shelf and be a YEC!

K54

Comment

I'm interested in the answer to this, as well. From the reference frame of the observers on Earth, did the sun stand still over Gibeon and the moon over the valley of Aijalon for around a 24-hour period?
                I have not the slightest idea and I don't really care too much since it is secondary to the major story to start with.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That he could do which? Suspend the laws of physics, stop the sun in the sky within the laws of physics, or both? And does that answer imply that you do believe that God stopped the sun in the sky for about 24 hours?
                  I would suspect that the same God that spoke the universe into existence would be quite capable of doing such things, if required. Of course, there could have just been another light in the sky, that was mistaken (by earth observers) as being the sun, but it doesn't matter too much on what the answer is. What is important is what we are being told with the over all story.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

it sounds more 'reasonable' if you can show a possible interpretation of physical evidence of Biblical claims.

...sometimes we forget that all the physical evidence in the world is not going to convert a soul.

at the end of the day, people are saved by the foolishness of preaching if God wants that person
                    The only reasonable explanation for these gross inaccuracies (i.e. sun stopping in the sky etc) is that the Old Testament world-view is derived from the pre-scientific Babylonian and Mesopotamian mythology and thus full of obvious scientific errors – notably, in this instance, the utter ignorance about how the heliocentric solar system, with its orbiting planets, functioned. No amount of tortuous rationalization can disguise this fact.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      The only reasonable explanation for these gross inaccuracies (i.e. sun stopping in the sky etc) is that the Old Testament world-view is derived from the pre-scientific Babylonian and Mesopotamian mythology and thus full of obvious scientific errors – notably, in this instance, the utter ignorance about how the heliocentric solar system, with its orbiting planets, functioned. No amount of tortuous rationalization can disguise this fact.
                      I think it depends on whether you think the authors were trying to describe something plausible within their model, or whether they were describing a miracle irrespective of any model. After all, miracles by definition defy the principles of physics (or biology, or celestial mechanics, or anything else known to be the case).

Comment

• Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                        Sadly, many people have spent and will spend most of their lives seeking the Materialistic OOL only to die in failure. But not all is lost --- as they seek to find this non-existent OOL, many spinoff discoveries and techniques emerge that find useful applications in other areas.

That said, we must never lose sight of the fact that it is their FAITH in a purely Materialistic OOL that keeps them going. It can only be FAITH because they do not have a single verifiable, repeatable scientific observation to back up their OOL belief. Yet, they will deny this until their last breath.

Science and Scientism? Yeah, right!

Jorge
                        Can you please present some verifiable, repeatable scientific observations that support a miraculous creation event, occurring no more than 20,000 years ago, that can be attributed solely to the deity as depicted in the one of several ancient middle eastern holy books that you declare to be true?

Thanks.

Comment

• 20,000 years ago? I thought YECs limited the creation event to taking place no earlier than 10,000 years ago.
                          Last edited by Duragizer; 02-10-2015, 05:15 PM.
                          "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

• Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                            20,000 years ago? I thought YECs limited the creation event to taking place no earlier than 10,000 years ago.
                            Does it really matter? If you swallow camels, it doesn't much matter how old the camel is.

Comment

20,000 years ago? I thought YECs limited the creation event to taking place no earlier than 10,000 years ago.
                              It depends which YEC you are talking to. John Whitcomb, perhaps the most influential founder of the modern YEC position, maintained that the biblical genealogies may have gaps in them and that the creation event could be up to ~20,000 years ago. Most modern YECs are much more dogmatic (and less scholarly) and insist that the creation can't be much more than about 6,000 years ago.
                              "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." – Albert Einstein

Comment

For the most part that is so, but I recall reading at least one YEC claiming that creation could have taken place as far back as 20,000 ya - I was being generous.

Comment