Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

California Drought Natural?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Drought Natural?

No kidding? Really?

Study: Causes of Calif. drought are natural, not man-made

Natural weather patterns and climate variability, not man-made global warming, are causing the historic drought that's parching California, says a study out today from federal scientists.

"It's important to note that California's drought, while extreme, is not an uncommon occurrence for the state," said Richard Seager, report lead author and professor with Columbia University's Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory. The report, "Causes and Predictability of the 2011-14 California Drought," was sponsored by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The report did not appear in a peer-reviewed journal, but was reviewed by other NOAA scientists.

"In fact, multi-year droughts appear regularly in the state's climate record, and it's a safe bet that a similar event will happen again," he said.

...The current study notes that this ridge — which has resulted in decreased rain and snowfall since 2011 — is almost opposite to what computer models predict will result from human-induced climate change.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/weathe...noaa/20095869/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

At least NOAA isn't fudging the results to support their models
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      At least NOAA isn't fudging the results to support their models
      Can you document anyone fudging the results to support their models????

I am not sure that there is a consensus among scientists that global warming is the cause of the cyclic droughts of California. I may check to make sure. In fact I checked, the current consensus among scientist is no California droughts are no caused by Climate change. So what's the big deal here?!?!?!?!

I know the progressively severe droughts of Australia are considered to some extent caused by Climate change.

This probably more a science thread.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-08-2014, 04:26 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        No kidding? Really?

Study: Causes of Calif. drought are natural, not man-made

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weathe...noaa/20095869/
        The problem in California is that it uses all the water it gets. Water comes from all over the west coast to California and when the natural cycle is against them it really shows up in things like drops in lakes and reservoirs.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          I may check to make sure. In fact I checked, the current consensus among scientist is no California droughts are no caused by Climate change. So what's the big deal here?!?!?!?!

The big deal was that there were scientists linking this drought to climate change, this is on a government site, The National Science Foundation:

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=132709

The atmospheric conditions associated with the unprecedented drought in California are very likely linked to human-caused climate change, researchers report.

Climate scientist Noah Diffenbaugh of Stanford University and colleagues used a novel combination of computer simulations and statistical techniques to show that a persistent region of high atmospheric pressure over the Pacific Ocean--one that diverted storms away from California--was much more likely to form in the presence of modern greenhouse gas concentrations.

"Our research finds that extreme atmospheric high pressure in this region--which is strongly linked to unusually low precipitation in California--is much more likely to occur today than prior to the emission of greenhouse gases that began during the Industrial Revolution in the 1800s," says Diffenbaugh.
          Once again, science got it all wrong.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Can you document anyone fudging the results to support their models????
            Did I say that they did?
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The big deal was that there were scientists linking this drought to climate change, this is on a government site, The National Science Foundation:

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=132709
              Seer, this is not a big deal . . .

Science did not get it wrong. The knowledge of science is the consensus over time. Seer you're still looking for rabbits in Pre-Cambrian rocks.

There may be disagreements between scientists. It is possible Noah Diffenbaugh is right and it is possible the other scientists are right in this case. The evidence in this case is hardly conclusive.

From what I know of the climate cycles of the western United States I would probably side with the NOAA scientists, but these conclusions are based are based on models, and these models are improving with time, but there is nothing conclusive here to say 'science got it wrong.'

Once again, no. You do not accept science, so looking for rabbits in Pre-Cambrian rocks is a waste of human life,
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

From what I know of the climate cycles of the western United States I would probably side with the NOAA scientists, but these conclusions are based are based on models, and these models are improving with time, but there is nothing conclusive here to say 'science got it wrong.'
                You have a government claiming, based on the scientific studies linked by the government, that the drought was caused by AGW. That was just false. The models did not work.

Once again, no. You do not accept science...
                And neither do you, when it suits you. Like when it comes to an immaterial soul.
                Last edited by seer; 12-09-2014, 06:40 AM.

Comment

To be fair, the global warming/global cooling/climate change hysteria is not science but politics and dogma.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    To be fair, the global warming/global cooling/climate change hysteria is not science but politics and dogma.
                    Yes, but scientists are fueling the narrative.

Comment

Did I say that they did?
                      Oh come on, you made a fairly transparent jab at the whole global warming theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        Oh come on, you made a fairly transparent jab at the whole global warming theory.
                        No I didn't. I made a comment that they didn't try to fudge their data to confirm their models. If you or anyone else thinks it was more than that, that's on you, not me.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

No I didn't. I made a comment that they didn't try to fudge their data to confirm their models. If you or anyone else thinks it was more than that, that's on you, not me.
                          Alright, if you say so, but it did come off as such a jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            Alright, if you say so, but it did come off as such a jab.
                            That's unfortunate, but wasn't my intent.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Obviously the proximate cause of the California drought is overpopulation due to its large numbers of Mexican imports, not "climate change." But talking about that is even more verboten than 'climate denialism.'

Comment