Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Orion Launch Tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orion Launch Tomorrow!

The Orion rocket is being tested tomorrow due to adverse conditions today?

Any thoughts on the Orion itself?
    "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
    -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I support the :
    sigpic

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post

Maybe tomorrow. It would be the beginning of the next generation of space vehicles
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

How many Kerbals are in the payload?

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
        How many Kerbals are in the payload?
        The Kerbals and gerbals unfortunately tried hide in the rocket engines. Whooops!

The launch was successful this morning, and a beauty
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-05-2014, 07:08 AM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

I think it great.

Manned spaceflight is terribly expensive and in a sense a waste of resources. Yet, wouldn't it be great to be able to have human presence across the solar system and out amongst the stars! Naturally there are a host of moral, ethical, and philosophical questions to be addressed in the process. But this is always the case, no matter what we humans do. So I think it good that NASA might be getting back into manned spaceflight.

I understand that it was up to the American public to decide how to spend its tax dollars. But it sucked when the US abandoned Apollo so easily, once it had reached the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
            I think it great.

Manned spaceflight is terribly expensive and in a sense a waste of resources. Yet, wouldn't it be great to be able to have human presence across the solar system and out amongst the stars! Naturally there are a host of moral, ethical, and philosophical questions to be addressed in the process. But this is always the case, no matter what we humans do. So I think it good that NASA might be getting back into manned spaceflight.

I understand that it was up to the American public to decide how to spend its tax dollars. But it sucked when the US abandoned Apollo so easily, once it had reached the moon.
            I just want the government to actually make some scientific progress, instead of repeatedly putting money in pork projects....
            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
            -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I support the :
            sigpic

Comment

I just want the government to actually make some scientific progress, instead of repeatedly putting money in pork projects....
              My understanding is that you believe in YEC. If I am mistaken I apologize.

If this is true, since the rejection of science, how would 'scientific progress" be meaningful to you?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                My understanding is that you believe in YEC. If I am mistaken I apologize.
                Eh, I am YEC by default. I consider myself a Open Creationist though, so if evolution is proved to be true, it wouldn't bother me that much...

f this is true, since the rejection of science, how would 'scientific progress" be meaningful to you?
                For one, I don't reject Science. Most science is verifiable and provable, including some forms of evoloution...

To answer the next question: The world created around us is amazing, and I believe if we look into the history and the beauty of our universe ( not trying to make a age of the world thread or something) and study it, it will for one give humanity a better understanding of the world around us, and maybe make people ponder how a universe like this could pop in,without any reason,by itself....

I do see the point of your question however because IIRC Jorge (and other YEC's not on TWeb) don't seem to like the idea of space travel for some idea....
                -Unknown

I support the :
                sigpic

Comment

There's an Orion Lunch???

Oh... it's a launch.... I am le Sad and le Disappointed.
                  Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                  As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

Eh, I am YEC by default. I consider myself a Open Creationist though, so if evolution is proved to be true, it wouldn't bother me that much...

For one, I don't reject Science. Most science is verifiable and provable, including some forms of evolution . . .
                    I would not hold your breath waiting for proof of evolution. In science nothing is proved, the theories and hypothesis are falsified using scientific methods. The biggest elephant in the room is the age of the earth, universe, and the rocks where the evidence of the history of life is contained. You do not even have to use radiometric dating, because there are a number of places on earth where there is a complete continuous sequence rock layers in continuous cycle of sandstone, limestone, shales and volcanic layers thousands of feet thick. In these rocks there exists the evidence of the progressive evolution of life from simple to complex.

To answer the next question: The world created around us is amazing, and I believe if we look into the history and the beauty of our universe ( not trying to make a age of the world thread or something) and study it, it will for one give humanity a better understanding of the world around us, and maybe make people ponder how a universe like this could pop in, without any reason, by itself . . .
                    Science does not propose that our universe popped into existence without any reason. The reason(s) for the physical existence is not what Methodological Naturalism does. Science is simply knowledge of the facts of the history of our physical existence, and not the why.

I do see the point of your question however because IIRC Jorge (and other YEC's not on TWeb) don't seem to like the idea of space travel for some idea. . .
                    . . . because science is an integral whole and cannot taken piecemeal. The science of Orion is the same science of evolution.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-05-2014, 09:41 PM.

Frank

Comment

OOOH OOH OOOHH All my former father in-law's hard work did NOT go to waste YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm happy about it....
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I really wish they would can the Orion project. Especially the whole SLS Spaceship to Nowhere project which I doubt will ever launch a scientific mission in its lifetime.

Comment