Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Another Creationist lawsuit FAIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Creationist lawsuit FAIL

Federal judge dismisses lawsuit alleging science standards for Kansas schools promote atheism

TOPEKA, Kansas — A federal judge Tuesday dismissed a lawsuit alleging that science standards for Kansas public schools promote atheism and violate the religious freedoms of students and parents.

U.S. District Judge Daniel Crabtree ruled that a nonprofit group, parents and taxpayers challenging the standards did not claim specific enough injuries from adoption of the guidelines to allow the case to go forward.

The lawsuit was filed by Citizens for Objective Public Education, a group based in the small, Wichita-area town of Peck. It had criticized the standards as an attempt to indoctrinate students into a "non-theistic" world view and said their adoption was a "message of endorsement" telling some parents and students that they are outsiders. The group was joined by parents and taxpayers in challenging the standards.
    Note that Citizens for Objective Public Education is the same batch of clowns of which our own Clucky Fernandez was the president, at least in 2012.

But Citizens for Objective Public Education is not exactly a well-known or a well-established group; its vice president Anne Lassey told the Associated Press that it was founded only in March 2012. Lassey is the wife of Greg Lassey, who was one of the authors of the so-called minority report of the committee that revised Kansas's state science standards in 2005; the report systematically deprecated the scientific status of evolution. The group's president, Jorge Fernandez, is a self-proclaimed young-earth creationist, with publications to his credit in Journal of Creation and on the True.Origin Archive website. The letter claimed that Citizens for Objective Public Education represents "children, parents and taxpayers who share our views"; Lassey told the Associated Press that the group has members across the nation.

NCSE link
    Even Clucky may have been smart enough to bail from this stinker. We should ask him the next time he waddles by.

One more victory for scientific integrity, one more beatdown for YECkism.

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
    Note that Citizens for Objective Public Education is the same batch of clowns of which our own Clucky Fernandez was the president, at least in 2012.
    Or they dropped him because he was too obviously YEC, or - more likely - because he claimed a "degree" from an institute not only not recognised by the Department of Education, but illegal in several states.

Can't you just imagine what would happen if he was called to testify?

Roy
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Federal judge dismisses lawsuit alleging science standards for Kansas schools promote atheism

Even Clucky may have been smart enough to bail from this stinker. We should ask him the next time he waddles by.

I'm SO GLAD you "changed my handle when the new board opened to have a fresh start and avoid the rancor that had built up over the years on the old one."

How's that workin' for ya?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I'm SO GLAD you "changed my handle when the new board opened to have a fresh start and avoid the rancor that had built up over the years on the old one."

How's that workin' for ya?
        Pretty good actually. How's that Christian advice in Matthew 7 "Judge not, that ye be not judged." workin' out for you?

Comment

Pretty good actually. How's that Christian advice in Matthew 7 "Judge not, that ye be not judged." workin' out for you?
          Read a little further -- it talks about fruit inspection.

Perhaps you should ask Mossy to change your name to Rancor 2.0
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Read a little further
            OK, I will
            Matthew 7

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye
            Looks like it says you're being a hypocrite. Maybe you should change your name to that.

Comment

OK, I will

Looks like it says you're being a hypocrite. Maybe you should change your name to that.
              Well, actually, no.... because I'm not the one who said...
              I changed my handle when the new board opened to have a fresh start and avoid the rancor that had built up over the years on the old one.
              ...then started a thread with rancor. That would be you.

Comment

Well, actually, no....
                Actually yes you're the hypocrite who is doing the most unChristian judging. I guess the Bible's guidelines don't apply to you, eh? I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Comment

Actually yes you're the hypocrite who is doing the most unChristian judging.
                  Nope -- just showing how contradictory your words are.

I guess the Bible's guidelines don't apply to you, eh? I'll keep that in mind from now on.
                  Sure, you play your silly games and continue on with your rancor!

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle
                  I changed my handle when the new board opened to have a fresh start and avoid the rancor that had built up over the years on the old one.
                  Originally posted by HMS_Beagle
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-03-2014, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Just a typical attempt of Christian dogmatists to block (or at least try to compete with) the dissemination of empirically verified knowledge in favour of untested religious presuppositions. It has been standard religious practice to block the advance of inconvenient truths since the days of Copernicus and Galileo.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Can't you just imagine what would happen if he was called to testify?
                      The entire multiverse would implode?
                      "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

You know Beagle boy, attacking YEC's for their scientific ignorance, while showing your theological ignorance, isn't the best way to go about things. The passage, you rip out of its context says this:

"For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:2, NIV

Which tells us all we need to hear. It isn't a condemning of judgment, at all. It is condemning hypocritical judgment. My 14 year old Sunday school students could have told you that. Perhaps you should work more upon your theological understandings, while YEC's work more on their scientific understandings. Sound like a deal to you?
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                          The entire multiverse would implode?
                          If the Multiverse, or possible multi-multiverses exist everything would simply be an infinite timeless Quantum World in which multiverse(s) exist and universe are born, exist and fad into the Timeless nothingness of the Quantum world like bubbles in soda pop.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Which tells us all we need to hear. It isn't a condemning of judgment, at all. It is condemning hypocritical judgment.
                            It's a warning to not judge others for you may be judged too. The words couldn't be any clearer. That's why CP being a Christian yet being so judgmental is so hypocritical. Your silly spin to cover for him is just silly.

Comment

It's a warning to not judge others for you may be judged too. The words couldn't be any clearer. That's why CP being a Christian yet being so judgmental is so hypocritical.
                              It doesn't simply say "don't judge".... it says don't judge unless you are willing to be judged too. I am. Your perversion of the scripture is just goofy.

Your silly spin to cover for him is just silly.
                              Nope! I'm wide open! Show me where I have been hypocritical. It's your own words that condemn you -- all I do is show them to you. Everybody else can judge for themselves.

Comment