Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

No, I haven't forgotten ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I haven't forgotten ...

Nope, I have not forgotten the guys and gals here at TWeb. I'm on 'vacation' from this place because I just couldn't take "it" any longer. By "it" I mean the ever-pervasive lunacy of certain TWebbers (they know who they are) who believe -- and want others to believe -- that they speak "science" when in fact they are merely promoting their Faith. And since their Faith is actually unadulterated nonsense ... there you go!

I only returned to share this 7.5-minute hilarious skit because, upon viewing it, TWeb immediately came into my mind. The skit illustrates several aspects of my frustrations here at TWeb.

In this skit I'm very well represented by the Asian "expert" and the rest of the group are those certain TWebber "science" representatives/speakers that I alluded to. The out-of-this-world experience of the Asian guy reminded me of many of my own experiences with those TWebbers. I too often felt daffled, drained and discouraged ... walking away "agreeing" that, "it's possible to draw seven red, perpendicular lines with transparent ink" just so that the nightmare would end. [Think of Evolution as the "product" and the promotion of it ...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Finally, I read some of the latest threads / posts here and quickly noticed that nothing has changed ... nay, it's gotten worse! Oh well, what else should I have expected?

Do try harder, folks. The Truth IS there if you will genuinely seek.

By the way, my work on Information Theory continues. You'll know when I'm done.

You'all be good and stay out of trouble. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jorge
    Last edited by Jorge; 11-26-2014, 05:53 AM.

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    Nope, I have not forgotten the guys and gals here at TWeb. I'm on 'vacation' from this place because I just couldn't take "it" any longer. By "it" I mean the ever-pervasive lunacy of certain TWebbers...
    This is about me again, isn't it?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nope, not at all. It's about many/most TWebbers but you aren't amongst those.

Hope you enjoyed the skit. I laughed hysterically as I saw myself amongst the facial expressions of the Asian guy being "mobbed" by the group. I'm not making this up : many times when I read certain TWeb posts (on Evolution, Information Theory and other topics) I had precisely those expressions on my face. It's a terrifying feeling - as if one had suddenly woken up on Bizzaro World!

Jorge

Comment

The wingless Turkey with four legs has evolved in time for Thanksgiving!!!!!
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          The wingless Turkey with four legs has evolved in time for Thanksgiving!!!!!
          Huh??? Whatever the heck that means.

Hope you enjoyed the skit and, yes, in case you're wondering, you were one of those that made me scratch my head on more than one occasion.

Jorge

Comment

Huh??? Whatever the heck that means.

Hope you enjoyed the skit and, yes, in case you're wondering, you were one of those that made me scratch my head on more than one occasion.

Jorge
            That is one of my purposes in life is to make people scratch their heads. Just don't do it until it bleeds.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Nope, I have not forgotten the guys and gals here at TWeb. I'm on 'vacation' from this place because I just couldn't take "it" any longer. By "it" I mean the ever-pervasive lunacy of certain TWebbers (they know who they are) who believe -- and want others to believe -- that they speak "science" when in fact they are merely promoting their Faith. And since their Faith is actually unadulterated nonsense ... there you go!

I only returned to share this 7.5-minute hilarious skit because, upon viewing it, TWeb immediately came into my mind. The skit illustrates several aspects of my frustrations here at TWeb.

In this skit I'm very well represented by the Asian "expert" and the rest of the group are those certain TWebber "science" representatives/speakers that I alluded to. The out-of-this-world experience of the Asian guy reminded me of many of my own experiences with those TWebbers. I too often felt daffled, drained and discouraged ... walking away "agreeing" that, "it's possible to draw seven red, perpendicular lines with transparent ink" just so that the nightmare would end. [Think of Evolution as the "product" and the promotion of it ...]

Finally, I read some of the latest threads / posts here and quickly noticed that nothing has changed ... nay, it's gotten worse! Oh well, what else should I have expected?

Do try harder, folks. The Truth IS there if you will genuinely seek.

By the way, my work on Information Theory continues. You'll know when I'm done.

You'all be good and stay out of trouble. Happy Thanksgiving!

Jorge
              Hello Jorge,

I'm writing this to say:-

Happy Thanksgiving to you. (We don't celebrate it here in Oz. However you have a good one.)

AND

To put a plug in for my latest essay explaining aspects of evolution and how these are tested:-

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-%26%238232%3B

Well, it's my best understanding, put it that way.

If you will follow the essay, then you will learn how testing of hypotheses is done with respect to the origin of multicellularity. The experiment was nifty, but what fascinated me was the insight of the experimenters to come up with a counter intuitive notion and show how it might help multicellular "organisms" procreate after their own deaths. This brings into play a Darwinian variation+selection scenario operating at the level of the organism (as opposed to the level of the individual cell), thereby allowing the organism to evolve. The counter intuitive aspect of this was that cheat cells (which ultimately destroy the organism) end up playing the role of primitive germ/sex cells.

Anyway, have a good day, and don't forget to read my essays while you are enjoying the turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by rwatts View Post
                Hello Jorge,

I'm writing this to say:-

Happy Thanksgiving to you. (We don't celebrate it here in Oz. However you have a good one.)

AND

To put a plug in for my latest essay explaining aspects of evolution and how these are tested:-

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-%26%238232%3B

Well, it's my best understanding, put it that way.

If you will follow the essay, then you will learn how testing of hypotheses is done with respect to the origin of multicellularity. The experiment was nifty, but what fascinated me was the insight of the experimenters to come up with a counter intuitive notion and show how it might help multicellular "organisms" procreate after their own deaths. This brings into play a Darwinian variation+selection scenario operating at the level of the organism (as opposed to the level of the individual cell), thereby allowing the organism to evolve. The counter intuitive aspect of this was that cheat cells (which ultimately destroy the organism) end up playing the role of primitive germ/sex cells.

Anyway, have a good day, and don't forget to read my essays while you are enjoying the turkey.
                Good grief, man, don't you have a life?!?

Figuratively speaking, a turkey hatching today will be ready for Thanksgiving 2015 by the time you finish your "dissertation" post. While I appreciate the work you've put into it, I can easily anticipate what it's all about : Faith statements labeled as "science".

Maybe I'll take a look later, when you're done ...

Hope you enjoyed the 7.5-minute skit from the OP.
                I've watched it 3-4 times now and it's uncanny how
                much of my TWeb experience it managed to capture.

Jorge

Comment

In this skit I'm very well represented by the Asian "expert" ...

Roy

"What we want is four beach-front houses, and we want one of them to be in Kansas."
                  Last edited by Roy; 11-26-2014, 05:23 PM.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Good grief, man, don't you have a life?!?
                    Good heavens Jorge, I do. I still work. I am a grandparent (so there are a lot of dangerous riot control duties to undertake). I am busy renovating my house and yard. And I do have a small group of friends.

This is just a very active hobby of mine.

Originally posted by Jorge
                    Figuratively speaking, a turkey hatching today will be ready for Thanksgiving 2015 by the time you finish your "dissertation" post.
                    No, I think I will have it up well before Christimas. This year that is.

While I appreciate the work you've put into it, I can easily anticipate what it's all about : Faith statements labeled as "science".
                    ?

No. They are actually testing a specific scenario. The scenario itself is hypothetical but very plausible. I'm leaving their scenario till near the end however, because there was something a bit odd about one aspect of it.

Maybe I'll take a look later, when you're done ...
                    You have no need to fear. I won't hold my breath.

Hope you enjoyed the 7.5-minute skit from the OP.
                    I've watched it 3-4 times now and it's uncanny how
                    much of my TWeb experience it managed to capture.

Jorge
                    Actually, I haven't watched it. I just popped in to say "Gidday" and point you to my latest essay. Did you see the one on the evolution of regulatory regions? I learnt a lot by trying to describe it. For example I now understand what modularization is, and why it allows complex evolution to happen a lot more easily.
                    Last edited by rwatts; 11-26-2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

In this skit I'm very well represented by the Asian "expert" and the rest of the group are those certain TWebber "science" representatives/speakers that I alluded to.

After looking at the video Jorge, I agree with Roy.

And by the above, you flatter yourself far too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

Roy

"What we want is four beach-front houses, and we want one of them to be in Kansas."
                        "El Moron" steps into the scene. sigh ... It was bound to happen!

Jorge

Comment

Good heavens Jorge, I do. I still work. I am a grandparent (so there are a lot of dangerous riot control duties to undertake). I am busy renovating my house and yard. And I do have a small group of friends.

This is just a very active hobby of mine.

No, I think I will have it up well before Christimas. This year that is.

?

No. They are actually testing a specific scenario. The scenario itself is hypothetical but very plausible. I'm leaving their scenario till near the end however, because there was something a bit odd about one aspect of it.

You have no need to fear. I won't hold my breath.

Actually, I haven't watched it. I just popped in to say "Gidday" and point you to my latest essay. Did you see the one on the evolution of regulatory regions? I learnt a lot by trying to describe it. For example I now understand what modularization is, and why it allows complex evolution to happen a lot more easily.
                          I appreciate your Faith in Evolution but, just in case no one has told you, you cannot make things true just by wishing them to be so. And, please, do not even try the childish prank of trying to turn the tables on me with that last remark (i.e., by claiming the same thing about God).

Jorge

Comment

After looking at the video Jorge, I agree with Roy.

And by the above, you flatter yourself far too much.
                            From the above post, clearly it went waaaayyyy above your head.

Doesn't matter ... I certainly made the connection and have added
                            that skit into my collection of classics.

Jorge

Comment

This reminds me of some production meetings I was in...
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment