Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

No, I haven't forgotten ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    I will never cease to be astonished at the projection exhibited by you people.

Jorge
    Hi Jorge,

Sorry you feel the world doesn't hear you. Perhaps a little introspection as to why it feels that way might be an idea?

That is, explore the possibility, no matter how remote, that you might, just might, maybe, be at least part of the problem.

Could be you know ... certainly the consensus here is that you spend most of your time avoiding real answers.

Do you suppose it makes sense that ALL the readers, including OEC's and some YE's, are just plain wrong?

I mean - if you are wrong - how would you find out except by listening to those that disagree with you?

I mean, that was the problem with the false prophets. They just told the king what he wanted to hear. So if you only listen to the guys that already think the way you do ... and you guys are wrong .......

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Hi Jorge,

Sorry you feel the world doesn't hear you. Perhaps a little introspection as to why it feels that way might be an idea?
      Jim
      We're back to the great Ham 'n' Nye debate.
      Q: if you should happen to be wrong, what could convince you to suspect this?
      Nye: Evidence.
      Ham: Nothing.

Comment

I do wish that TWeb had an option to put either a "Faith", or a "Disbelief". Perhaps merely having "Belief" and "Disbelief" would work best; Faith by itself can be misleading when providing the option for atheism and such things. Causes some confusion.
        “The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosRain View Post
          I do wish that TWeb had an option to put either a "Faith", or a "Disbelief". Perhaps merely having "Belief" and "Disbelief" would work best; Faith by itself can be misleading when providing the option for atheism and such things. Causes some confusion.
          Well, we all work with mental models of reality. Nobody's model can be complete, probably nobody's can be fully accurate either. Models are full of holes which we fill in by interpolation to make the models (more or less) self-consistent. But we must live as though those interpolations are actual data points - that is, we take our interpolations on faith. So I suppose you could say that the "disbeliever" is one who doesn't find it necessary to patch up his model with magic (the "supernatural") as some do, or doesn't find it necessary to find some way to paste in a heavy dollop of magic where it doesn't fit (usually by means of compartmentalization).

Think of various religious traditions as whole complex hypotheses that believers in other traditions have no need of. Factor out all the traditions not needed by some society or other, and we discover that "Belief" is parochial and superfluous.

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
            We're back to the great Ham 'n' Nye debate.
            Q: if you should happen to be wrong, what could convince you to suspect this?
            Nye: Evidence.
            Ham: Nothing.
            Yep because everybody knows that only theist can be blinded by ideology.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment