Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"I don't care if you landed a spacecraft on a comet, your shirt is sexist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Which, again, is perfectly valid as evidence unless you can demonstrate that the sample isn't statistically representative of what's being argued. Just saying it's not doesn't do anything for your case here.
    My case has nothing to do with it; again I was pointing out how the study you pulled out does little to nothing for your case.

Rice does too, notably. But of course, we can't really talk about "the many who use similar discrepancy figures ..." without knowing the who and what.
    Quite, but I'd like to limit this discussion to Myers for the moment.

You are, as shown by quoting Myers in context at length. Myers notes that statistic as shocking and notes that structural gender discrimination (sexism) is partly responsible. He actually goes on for quite a bit and links to a good many more sources. You are propping up a straw man and insisting he's the real deal.
    So he's not using the statistic at all in any way to show (as part of his counterargument to his article) that sexism exists? I think you're just projecting a simplistic mindset: I haven't claimed that Myers doesn't consider other causes for the discrepancy; however he still uses it as evidence for his position.

Comment

• So, where is this now? Like so many other things, there's the faux outrage, the "back and forth", than it seemingly disappears from the news entirely.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-19-2014, 06:36 AM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        So, the woman who made this shirt for him.... will she be dragged through the streets as a traitor to her own kind?
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I don't think that's the issue ...
        Because it was blatantly invidious, or because you're trying to resuscitate a rhetorical faceplant?

... so, obviously, YOU must be the issue.
        I'm guessing B.

Comment

Like so many other things, there's the faux outrage ...
          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So, the woman who made this shirt for him.... will she be dragged through the streets as a traitor to her own kind?
          And this is what I mean by unwitting irony.

Y'all do this to yourself.

Comment

• lao tzu is too smart for me. I have no idea what he's talking about. Maybe if I read the thread ...? No, better to live with the mystery.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              No, better to live with the mystery.
              Sorry about that!

My work includes a sprint from Monday thru Tuesday, making anything I add on Wednesday a bit disjointed from the discussion. Here's a quick summary of the issue discussed in this thread:

@Rose Eveleth: No no women are toooootally welcome in our community, just ask the dude in this shirt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSv6...ature=youtu.be

Internet rebuttal: Go kill yourself!

More of the same on TWeb. The opposition showed up; they scored and scored, own goal after own goal ... like CP posting faux outrage, and castigating faux outrage.

This isn't a mystery; it's a comedy.

And it's freaking hilarious!

As ever, Jesse

Comment

lao tzu is too smart for me.
                lao is too smart for lao. If he isn't snitting, he's not happy. Maybe it has something to do with the grueling work of being king in his own little kingdom. Some poor student probably forgot to genuflect again.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

lao is too smart for lao. If he isn't snitting, he's not happy. Maybe it has something to do with the grueling work of being king in his own little kingdom. Some poor student probably forgot to genuflect again.
                  Oh, I hate it when that happens!

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    Sorry about that!

My work includes a sprint from Monday thru Tuesday, making anything I add on Wednesday a bit disjointed from the discussion. Here's a quick summary of the issue discussed in this thread:

@Rose Eveleth: No no women are toooootally welcome in our community, just ask the dude in this shirt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSv6...ature=youtu.be

Internet rebuttal: Go kill yourself!

More of the same on TWeb. The opposition showed up; they scored and scored, own goal after own goal ... like CP posting faux outrage, and castigating faux outrage.

This isn't a mystery; it's a comedy.

And it's freaking hilarious!

As ever, Jesse
                    Please, no apologies necessary. If I want to understand, I should just read the thread. ... but it doesn't sound like one that will make me smarter.

Comment

Oh, I hate it when that happens!
                      Especially on Monday through Tuesday!

Comment

like CP posting faux outrage, and castigating faux outrage.
                        I should have added sarcasm tags for the poor overworked Monday-Tuesday sprinters.

Comment

61 percent of Southern Baptists are high school dropouts or have never been to college. Y'all have to know that's not what the rest of the country looks like. When you do this, the rest of the country rolls their eyes and snickers, "Southern Baptists, what else should we expect?"

I don't much care for that stereotype, but no matter how much I like you, there's a limit to how much sympathetic pain I'm going to feel for you when you insist on reinforcing it again and again. I can't believe this is the message you want to send about your denomination. You should do something about that. I've said it before, but it doesn't seem to penetrate.

So let me put it this way ... I'm not going to hold your beer on this one.

I'm going to point and laugh with everyone else, and tell everyone else I never met ya.

As ever, Jesse

ps. We still on for the barbecue tomorrow night?

Comment

61 percent of Southern Baptists are high school dropouts or have never been to college. Y'all have to know that's not what the rest of the country looks like. When you do this, the rest of the country rolls their eyes and snickers, "Southern Baptists, what else should we expect?"

I don't much care for that stereotype, but no matter how much I like you, there's a limit to how much sympathetic pain I'm going to feel for you when you insist on reinforcing it again and again. I can't believe this is the message you want to send about your denomination. You should do something about that. I've said it before, but it doesn't seem to penetrate.

I'm going to point and laugh with everyone else, and tell everyone else I never met ya.

As ever, Jesse

and what percentage of the poplulation are taoists?

Comment

As ever, Jesse

Jesse,

You fit EXACTLY the stereotype of the "professors" at my wife's workplace - the ones who are NOT in the "extension" program, but are simply in the "teaching" program. When you do this, the rest of the country rolls their eyes and snickers, "Professors, what else should we expect?"

Bring whatever wine you think pairs well with calf fries.

Comment

Jesse,

You fit EXACTLY the stereotype of the "professors" at my wife's workplace - the ones who are NOT in the "extension" program, but are simply in the "teaching" program. When you do this, the rest of the country rolls their eyes and snickers, "Professors, what else should we expect?"
                                I give you credit for your equal-opportunity reinforcements of stereotypes. But there's a difference between your fantasies about me and the facts about Southern Baptists. The 61 percent is a fact. It disturbs me, and should disturb you. Education opens doors that are closed to these folks, and putting your foot on that door ... isn't helping.

But the "king" deal is nonsense, and to the extent it bugs me, it's only because I'd like to think better of you.

I read your posts on education, and then I read my email ... this one came in yesterday.
                                Dear Professor [Taoist]

I hope all is well with you, your students and classes! I will never forget how you made math enjoyable for me!

Recently, I have been presented a great academic opportunity at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama. Basically students accepted into the 10 week summer program will have a chance to work alongside research mentors and assist in their research. This program will include paid living expenses plus a stipend.

I would greatly appreciate if you could write a recommendation letter for me. The instructions are as follows: letters of recommendation are to be sent by email to strireu@si.edu with the applicant’s name_REU in the subject.

Thanks in advance, Anthony

Sure he's sucking up, but do you really think there's anything you can post here that's going to interfere with my pride in my former students' accomplishments? Or that could make me ashamed about my contribution? Should I hang my head about staying on campus until midnight Monday night to help a student with his homework? Or apologize for the lack of sleep when I met my next class just after 8 a.m. the next morning. This is why I roll my eyes.

Anthony was my student at "Absorbine Junior College," as you like to name it. You know the actual name because I gave it to you. That's where George Bush gave a commencement address a few years back. Where Laura did the same a few years later. And Clinton. And Obama. Those are facts. You can check them.

Your fantasies are your fantasies. May they keep you warm at night.

Bring whatever wine you think pairs well with calf fries.
                                I'll try to make sure it goes well with Crow, too.

As ever, Jesse

Comment